Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 13:01   #16

Re: Chronic leak in the Beneteau Oceanis 473 deck

"Glue" is not good for fitting boat windows. It's too hard and subject to UV exposure. Sikaflex 295UV is one product designed for boat windows.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 17:30   #17

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

As I said before the Dow 795 is amazing. We used 10 tubes per window and they measured 5.5ft by 3ft. The Dow is thick and grabs good helping to set the glass.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:16   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop

There is a lengthy diskussion complete with instructions on this matter in the 343 forum on Yahoo Groups. The 343 has the same Windows and problems.
afriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:26   #19

Boat: Seaward 22

You've gotten some good advice on here. I've had good experience with Dow Corning product rebedding my hatch glass. Can't hurt to inquire at some Beneteau yards.

One thing no one has mentioned is a contingency plan. Given the location and it's current failure rate, I'd have a strong plan and all materials ready for what you would do should it "pop out" while cruising.

Regards,
ODB
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:16   #20

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435

I had similar failure on the 2,5 meters long windows of my JEANNEAU VOYAGE 12.5.
The failure at both end of the windows facing skyward was caused by the thermal extension of the windows greater than the thermal extension of the firbergass deck. This was aggravated by curtains under the windows which trapped the heat in the windows . I chose to replace the windows by fiberglass and white gelcoat pannels glued with SIKKA. This suited me under the hot Mediterranean sun.
In your case, I recommend cutting the windows in three parts and gluing them properly with a 8 mm thick layer of sealant. And I would not use 3M 5200 which becomes too hard, not flexible enough.
Note : To remove the window without breaking it, I strongly recommend using the tools used to remove windshields from cars : It is a 1 mm thick steel braided cable pulled with two handles along the gluing joint with a sawing movement.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:51   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 - Laureat 1

[QUOTE=bsurvey;1927265]3m 5200 should solve your problem. it is adhesive not caulk put a tooth on the glass and one on the opening

I just use 3M 5200 LAST winter in Nassau Bahamas to fix my windows Lexan with fiberglass, DO NOT USE IT it is gazing and now just receive a photo of my guardian in Nassau following hurricane Joachim the windows are leaking again. I had use before corning 795 and worked well but make sure the date is not expired
Laureat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:45   #22

Boat: Traditional 30

Butyl Tape?
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:47   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 - Laureat 1

Thank you what a great video I will redo and start with 3m tape and sure use Dow Corning 795.
Laureat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:03   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mauricio.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:14   #25

I would like to thank all of you for your advices. I did not know the Dow Corning 795 and I think I'll try this sealant. I will put spacers as advised to ensure a thick layer of sealant so that the seal is not affected by contractions and expansions of the window. But before, I will refer to Beneteau to see if they recommend any special procedure.

Thank you all again.

Mauricio Hofmam.
MauHof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:28   #26

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

One more thing before you try... surface prep is critical.
Before you use the D795, make absolutely sure that the deck fiberglass part is thoroughly sanded and cleaned. I say sanded because if there is even a tiny invisible film of silicone or other old sealants the D795 will not stick and you definitely need adhesion as a glue because the piece is not bolted down, not only a sealant like Butyl tape or silicone. Test with a drop of water, if it beads, repeat. For the lens, also ensure there is no old sealant and cleanup with 50% water and alcohol. Best of luck.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 01:46   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

Hi Mauricio, I have a 473 , new in 2006 , despite at times ,sailing in some very heavy weather , I have never had a leak problem in that area , I also have not come across anyone else with your problem ,so it suggests that possibly it was not fitted correctly originally.I agree with the previous posts .Take it out and clean the area perfectly and ensure that you use the correct adhesive ( check with Beneteau ) and I would definitely apply pressure / weight when fixing the glass / perspex . I have in the past had some great help from Sunsail who have had many Beneteau 473 as part of their charter fleet . A very knowledge guy is the maintenance director for Sunsail in Split Croatia , his name is Dragan his mobile no is - 0038598486007.The only other thought is , my mast is keel stepped , so I assume yours is the same ? , are you possibly getting some form of loading through the mast deck seal area , due maybe to incorrect tension on the standing rigging , It is a long shot ,but maybe . Good luck Regards Garth Gregory - South Africa
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, deck, oceanis