Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 15:50   #1

Hunter sailboats

I have 2 sailboats selected to purchase. I am close to making an offer on one in Northern Michigan if it checks out this weekend. My question: should I be concerned buying a 1985 Hunter? In the past I have read that older Hunters may have issues. The Other boat being considered is a 1990 hunter 30. Is there a big difference, all appearances and general condition being the same? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bubbba4137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 16:02   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Hunter sailboats

If you want an objective assessment of both, you would be better served going to the sailboat owners.com forum which has owner reviews of all models.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 16:05   #3

Good idea. Thanks

Old 03-02-2015, 16:06   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm going to say that any 1985/1990 boat still in good condition is a good boat.
Old 03-02-2015, 16:09   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I owned a 1989 Hunter 31 for a few years. I'd maybe compare it to a used american economy car. It wasn't flashy, a few things could have been done better, but overall it was a reasonable boat for coastal/Bahamas cruising.

I overlapped that boat with a Benteau 32 and felt the Benteau was an overall better constructed and better thought out boat. The Hunter for example had several through hulls with elbows which were under the back bunk and backed with plywood. Not easy to access and more likely to clog than inline plumbing and of course it's only a matter of time until the plywood backing in the bilge rots away.

Boats that age can really vary in condition and use. A Michigan boat may have fewer engine hours and less overall corrosion than my Florida boat did.

The issue I see with making an offer now, is that obviously you won't be doing a sea trial for a while….
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 16:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm going to say that any 1985/1990 boat still in good condition is a good boat.

Thanks. sailorboy. Appreciate the feedback.

Old 05-02-2015, 17:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I owned a 1989 Hunter 31 for a few years. I'd maybe compare it to a used american economy car. It wasn't flashy, a few things could have been done better, but overall it was a reasonable boat for coastal/Bahamas cruising.

I overlapped that boat with a Benteau 32 and felt the Benteau was an overall better constructed and better thought out boat. The Hunter for example had several through hulls with elbows which were under the back bunk and backed with plywood. Not easy to access and more likely to clog than inline plumbing and of course it's only a matter of time until the plywood backing in the bilge rots away.

Boats that age can really vary in condition and use. A Michigan boat may have fewer engine hours and less overall corrosion than my Florida boat did.

The issue I see with making an offer now, is that obviously you won't be doing a sea trial for a while….

Yes, we'll have to have an escrow account held in case of any bad stuff that might surface in a sea trail or survey. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Tags
hunter, sail, sailboat