Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 09:40   #1

Sailing to Moroccan ports

HI has anybody sailed into any of the following ports (Tangier, Rabat, agadir, El Jadida)?
what was your experience?

i have 2.2 M Draught would this create any issues?

Did you have to pay the "baksheesh" tips, cigarettes, alcohol?
if so what are the general rules around this, is alcohol OK, if so what is expected, a bottle of spirit I guess, if cigarettes what is expected a sleeve of 200? or a couple of cartons of 20 or...?

many thanks
Steely Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:47   #2

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Sailing to Moroccan ports

Don't forget Mohammedia, between Casa and Rabat.... we're heading to Canaries/Cape Verde later on and it's a port of refuge. From my studies this is the only port in Morocco that can handle you in bad weather (any swells over 2 or 3 meters from the northwest). Rabat apparently turns into a washing machine Never sailed there but have been to Morocco many times. Baksheesh is overrated. A few smokes or dirhams and a firm no to more is fine. Overall Moroccans rock, and many are genuinely insanely helpful. Especially for a few smokes or dirhams
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:56   #3

endless wake, many thanks for the information, really helpful.

Happy sailing and Fair winds.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:58   #4

Sorry, should I have said "Sojourner",

Happy sailing and Fair winds
Old 12-07-2018, 09:15   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Hi,
We visited Morocco in 2014, and it was absolutely great:

Rabat: Entrance is tricky, can be even dangerous, if you don't arrive on high water slack. Otherwise great marina, top location close to the medina, nice officials, ... Recommend it.
Essaouira: Was very impressive, but the absolute highlight for us. Put lots of fenders all sides. The real thing ...
Agadir: Rather modern marina but quite damaged, and bathrooms, although pretty new, in a terrible state at that time. Harbormaster was really helpful and nice. The officials less ! But nog bribes whatsoever have been paid by us.
We left our boat several months in Agadir. Nothing was stolen. Except for kilo's of sahara dust on our boat, it was no problem at all.

Enjoy it !

A picture so that you know what to expect in Essaouira: (our boat in the center), and one of Rabat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0129.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	173449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1461.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	173450  

Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:34   #6

Boat: Prout

I was thrown out of Tangier some 5 years ago. There was supposed to be a new marina there but not nearly opened. The weather was bad, I went outside the harbour again but decided I wasn't going to risk it and went back in. A trawler told me to go beside him, helped me with coming along side in a crowded commercial area. Officials came and after that when an explained about the weather they were fine. No bakshees asked for. Essaouira, though not visited due to reputation of being very dirty and bribes being required. Again I was thrown out of Casablanca, they did not want yachts there,, though again a marina being built which one day may be completed so returned to stay at Mohammedia. The harbourmaster at the time was sensational., cheery and always put to help. He has since retired and when I retuned 2 years later he still went for company but still had a good reception.

What is, maybe the most beautiful city and certainly marina I visited in Morocco. Modern shops surrounding it and a French feel about the place. They do take their paper work seriously and when wishing 5o leave in the morning all the papers in another town and not able to leave till late afternoon....be patient! Good fuelling place if l3qving there for Canaries

Remember if there is a wind or there has been a storm 100s of miles away there can be big swells going into the rivers to reach places like Larache, Rabat.....I chickened out being singled handed........or cautious depending how you see it and carried on. On both occasions, both times in October had issues with FOG and FISHERMEN in small boats who you are only aware of when they hear your engine and start banging their tin pans! Lobster pots fishing nets too! All out to get you.

What I said about negative officials/ports just remember bad one can become good and good ones bad . But I think all in all Mohammedia and Agadir have got their act together and are yacht friendly and Agadir especially a place to chill out

I had wanted to go to Tan Tan but heard it's not yacht friendly and a lot of militia about with political tensions over mineral rights and Western Sahara.
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:29   #7

I was last September in Rabat, Mohamedia and El Jadida and can confirm that the information on noonsite.com is accurate. http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Morocco?a=AtlanticCoast

Rabat: the yacht harbor send you a pilot boat when they find the swell safe. The harbour master will hear the VHF calls and will answer it but you will not hear it because the emitting power is not strong enough Just wait for the pilot or use your mobile.

I can witness that there can be a lot of swell because we were the last boat they helped that day. Boats behind us had to go to Mohamedia 35kn south. I would not advise it to do it without pilot boat.

Noonsite says that the pontoons in Mohamedia were destroyed last winter. Check if they are repaired.

El Jadida: anchoring in mud with not much space.
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ports, sail, sailing