Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 02:35   #1

Sailing in the keys

Not sure if this is the right place to post, so correct me if it is.

My dad is retiring soon and wants to take his Hunter 240 down to the keys and spend a week sailing around goofing off. We would trailer the boat down. I'm a teacher and have the summers off so we could likely do it during June/July. Is it worth going down there in the summer? Any tips or advice are welcome.
Mac789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:14   #2

Re: Sailing in the keys

I assume that is a water ballast boat? Does it have the capability to have air conditioning at dock?

The keys are fantastic cruising ground in the summer but. It can get quite still, as in not much wind. Also it can get very shallow in areas. But. Lots of places to explore and stop along the way down to key west. Lots of anchorages for shallow draft boats.
I was planning a trip down with my Catalina 22. Before I moved to south fla.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:17   #3

It is a water ballast boat. We would bringing something for air conditioning.
Mac789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:37   #4

I think you would have a great time. A small dingy if you are going to anchor out often will be nice too.

Start in key largo and work your way south.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:57   #5

Do you know about the cost to put boat in a marina ? In my opinion it takes careful planning to stay in the keys, unless money is No concern. Where in the Keys ?
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:02   #6

Boat: Hunter 33.5

There are a few sailing clubs in the Keys that can be found online and would be a great source of information for you.
Start with the club at Key Largo, there is on in Key West also. Get the tel#s and go from there.
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:35   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac789 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post, so correct me if it is.

My dad is retiring soon and wants to take his Hunter 240 down to the keys and spend a week sailing around goofing off. We would trailer the boat down. I'm a teacher and have the summers off so we could likely do it during June/July. Is it worth going down there in the summer? Any tips or advice are welcome.
This may sound like a stupid comment? If you only have a week and need to get back to the trailer, you should be getting suggestions on a specific area of the Keys. I only sailed down one side and up the other once, years ago, so I am not a good source. There are some beautiful areas.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:29   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

It can get hot but if you have decent ventilation and possibly a wind scoop you should be OK. I suggest the middle keys as you only have a week to explore. Look at the various online guides. Location should be a choice based on your preferred activities fishing, diving, exploring isolated beaches etc. Marathon, Pennycamp Marine Reserve and Snake River are locations you might like. If you want to use a marina as a base, be aware that slip availability might be tight in the summer.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44   #9

Boat: magna 43

Air conditioning should be major concern Water temps are 85 and air is 95. nights cool down to 80. the steam boat channel on the inland, north, side should be perfect for your boat, depths of 5-6. anchoring should be a piece of cake 99% sand bottom and gin clear water. Take a bit more time and see more of it. follow the charts as all of it is shallow north. After 3 miles the atlantic drop to very deep Enjoy
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:50   #10

Boat: Hunter 30

We were teachers in an all year school district so 3 had 9 on and 3 off all year long. This was 25 years ago, we would trailer our C22 from St Louis to Key Largo and put in at the Holiday Marina. Slept on the boat and could use the facilities of the resort, showers pool etc. We would day sail out to the various reef and snorkel. Bring A/C! You will not regret the Keys. One problem is short launch ramps. We had a tongue extension that helped. In Key LArgo you are close to stores, bar, restaurants etc. On your next trip go further south like to Bahia Honda state park, but I would keep it simple for a first trip.

We are now retired and live in Punta Gorda FL and sail Charlotte Harbor.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:59   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have done it the last couple of years, two years ago in July and last year June, to try to beat some of the heat.
It will be Africa HOT, unbelievably so, perhaps unbearingly so, and it is not the best time to sail wind wise either, but its when the kids were out of school etc.
I had no problems finding slips although we Moored and stayed at anchor usually, I believe there are a lot of people missing in the middle of Summer, but right now, I bet its crowded
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:42   #12

Boat: Scout 30

One week in a small boat in the Keys. The question is do you want to hide from the weather or do you want to cruise? Setting up air conditioning for this boat for a short trip will be a pain in the ass. IMHO hiding from the heat will make the trip pointless. You might as well get a room & just do some day sails. Having cruised Florida for more than 30 years I think the summers are a great time to be on the water. The swimming is great & there's usually a breeze at night if you're anchored out. If you get down here in June you'll beat the hottest temps & will have a great time. I'd start at Marathon & sail down the east side to Key West, then head over to the Dry Tortugas & then back up the west side to Marathon. Just anchor far enough out to avoid the bugs at night & bring your snorkeling gear. My question is, if you're off for the summer & he's retired why just one week?

One caveat: you'll need a bimini.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:07   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

At that time a year, do the outer banks NC or Florida panhandle
Old 06-12-2016, 02:55   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mac.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:09   #15

All depends on what you want out of it. Keep in mind the end of July is Mini-Season. The keys are crazy the week before and that week. Everything is pretty laid back before and after.
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing