Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 22:47   #1

Sailing Upwind

Hi there,
I currently work on power driven vessels but am interested in sailing. I've done a lot of research on different sailboats and really like Fisher 34's and 37's for their seaworthiness, durability, and pilothouse. I've also read that because of their keel they don't make good vessels for sailing upwind. Has anyone on here operated a Fisher yacht and know what they're like? I wanna be able to do long distance offshore sailing, and am just wondering if this is the vessel for me.
CoastieMcToasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 23:31   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Sailing Upwind

Welcome aboard CoastieMcToasty. I've never sailed a Fisher but I always thought they looked pretty cool, really roomy and seaworthy, but they are not really designed to perform well sailing especially upwind and in light airs. I've read things from owners who just love 'em though. They are the lifeboat style of design, beamy and a full keel and heavy so I would imagine they do ok off the wind, in a lot of wind, but you'll probably be motorsailing upwind anyway right? I always thought they looked like great boats for the Pacific Northwest and a trip up BC to Alaska with that big pilothouse to keep you dry and warm.
There are lots of very seaworthy boats that also sail very well too though! You might check out bluewaterboats.org for ideas and don't miss the "vote for upcoming sailboats" section, there are A LOT of great boats listed there too.
Good luck!
BTW if you start a new thread with "Fisher Yachts" in the title you may get more input too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 23:39   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Try these links too:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...7-a-23456.html
Anyone Sailed A Fisher 34/37. [Archive] - Yachting and Boating World Forums
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:17   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

That boat simply is not going to sail upwind very well at all.

Full/long keel, super heavy. low sail area/disp.

If you want to sail well upwind you almost have to go with a fin keel. (deep fin keel around 6' or so)

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=7391

A boat like this old Pearson 10M will out point it easily. (you can compared the specs)

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1797
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 14:08   #5

Boat: Fisher 37

I have a fisher 37 and can recommend as a very pleasant place to sail in inclement weather. Reef, shut the door and put the eberspaxher on. You won’t win any races but I would suspect you know that and aren’t in a hurry in which case you made a great choice.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 14:36   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That boat simply is not going to sail upwind very well at all.

Full/long keel, super heavy. low sail area/disp.

If you want to sail well upwind you almost have to go with a fin keel. (deep fin keel around 6' or so)

FISHER 34 MS sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

A boat like this old Pearson 10M will out point it easily. (you can compared the specs)

PEARSON 10M sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Fisher 37 has a 100 hp diesel.

It doesn't NEED to sail upwind.

Hardly any cruising boat can really get upwind over long distances. I've always thought the motor sailer formula was a good one, because it sacrifices something you don't have in any case, and in return you get the grunt to motor in all kinds of conditions.

I like those boats.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 15:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

There' a reason that Fishers are generally called "motor-sailers" and come with a big diesel engine and anything up to 1000 litres of fuel tankage

Great for long distance offshore sailing as long as you don't expect them to sail to windward without motor assist.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 15:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Fisher 37 has a 100 hp diesel.

It doesn't NEED to sail upwind.

Hardly any cruising boat can really get upwind over long distances. I've always thought the motor sailer formula was a good one, because it sacrifices something you don't have in any case, and in return you get the grunt to motor in all kinds of conditions.

I like those boats.
Nice, but if your goal is to sail maybe a boat that is a bit narrower, with a deeper fin keel would be the way to go.

The question is do you want the engine noise or just the sound of the water and wind as you sail to your destination
Old 02-07-2018, 15:52   #9

I delivered a 37 foot motor sailor from Hawaii to Calif many years ago. I dont recall the brand, but it was Swedish made and very well done. It had a big motor and a big prop so it didnt sail worth a darn. I did 3 deliveries from Hawaii that year and even with a ton of fuel, it was the slowest of the three. I did learn to love the pilot house and only putting on foulies a couple of times for the whole trip. I would not say that I would never own a motor sailor, but I would insist on a feathering prop if I decided to go that way. A big 3 bladed prop can make a marginally good sailing boat into a complete dog. Just another opinion. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 15:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing Upwind

Quote:
Nice, but if your goal is to sail maybe a boat that is a bit narrower, with a deeper fin keel would be the way to go.

The question is do you want the engine noise or just the sound of the water and wind as you sail to your destination
Ahh.. the romance of the coastal sailor and the misconceptions about voyaging..
Wait till youve sat through 5 to 10 days of calms with a limited fuel tank and a breeze that wont even rustle a hair.. a Fisher type boat will eat that up and get you to the wind as opposed to waiting for the wind to get to you.
They sail well enough to windward just don't try racing.. unless its against another Fisher or a Colvic Watson..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:07   #11

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

95% of cruising "sailing boats" are fpr practical purposes motor sailers, they are just not as good at it as are "motor sailers"
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahh.. the romance of the coastal sailor and the misconceptions about voyaging..
Wait till youve sat through 5 to 10 days of calms with a limited fuel tank and a breeze that wont even rustle a hair.. a Fisher type boat will eat that up and get you to the wind as opposed to waiting for the wind to get to you.
They sail well enough to windward just don't try racing.. unless its against another Fisher or a Colvic Watson..
There's no romance when you've been boating/sailing as long as I have even if it is coastal. I've sailed too many long distance races on sailboats without a motor to get what it would be like

I wouldn't let myself get caught in a doldrums area without plenty of fuel but that doesn't mean I have to sail on a non-sailing boat like the Fisher

For longer distance cruising, I'd have the fuel but something that can point also with at least a 6' fin keel and maybe 29+ feet of waterline, but also strong with a good Bal/disp ratio

Maybe something like a Pretorien 35 would do me for the purpose of offshore sailing

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2184

I also like the Gladiateur 33 and came real close to buying one with tiller steering but didn't like the saildrive on that particular boat

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1840

Old 02-07-2018, 17:08   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There's no romance when you've been boating/sailing as long as I have even if it is coastal. I've sailed too many long distance races on sailboats without a motor to get what it would be like

I wouldn't let myself get caught in a doldrums area without plenty of fuel but that doesn't mean I have to sail on a non-sailing boat like the Fisher

For longer distance cruising, I'd have the fuel but something that can point also with at least a 6' fin keel and maybe 29+ feet of waterline, but also strong with a good Bal/disp ratio

Maybe something like a Pretorien 35 would do me for the purpose of offshore sailing

PRETORIEN 35 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
I'd not call the Southern Approaches the Doldrums.. but when the Azores High stretches out to you the wind dies..
These 37's sail well enough for me...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C35D&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4&&FORM=VDRVRV

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-07-2018, 17:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'd not call the Southern Approaches the Doldrums.. but when the Azores High stretches out to you the wind dies..
These 37's sail well enough for me...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C35D&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4&&FORM=VDRVRV
Wasn't talking any specific area, but if I'm wanting to sail, I'd want a sailing boat not a motoring boat with a mast
Old 02-07-2018, 17:33   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wasn't talking any specific area, but if I'm wanting to sail, I'd want a sailing boat not a motoring boat with a mast
Try one sometime.. you may be surprised.
Remember.. they are built to be sailed in rigorous seas North of 50degrees where an engine can sometimes be a blessing even/especially when its windy.
And lets face it.. long distance cruising is a lot different than hacking round the Chesapeake.. your boat is your home and priorities change and comfortable living and storage space becomes more important than leaning on your ear on a weekender.
But hey.. each to their own judgements from their individual experiences.

Tags
sail, sailing, wind