Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 16:03   #1

Boat: American Mariner 24'
Interior paint

I have left over Rustoleum topside paint (white) from the summer paint project. The interior of my 24' American Mariner is puke yellow. Anything wrong or no no to use the left over topside paint on the inside?
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 18:39   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18
Re: Interior paint

How old is "left over"? probably not a problem, but I would use the primer and spend more time on the prep. Remember the difference between a good job and a great job is patience. Spend lots of time on filling holes and sanding everything smooth. Good luck, and lets see pics.
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 20:29   #3

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Do you have enough paint leftover to do the whole job?. Yes, the oil base exterior paint would work well but make sure it will be compatible with the yellow base that's there now. You can put oil base paint on top of dry latex if in good condition, but not latex on top of oil base, it will craze all over and look like those antique finishes on old furniture!. That shiny topside paint will show any and all defects, so as mentioned above, prepare all surfaces well and scrub with ammonia and soap and rinse well before applying the coating.
I've been considering repainting the cabin interior also, was planning to use exterior latex house paint like those used for wood fascia or wood siding. A semi-gloss which will have some type of anti-mildew properties. Sherwin Williams makes superb paints.
What I have on the interior now, grows black mildew within a month, even with ventilation and a dry bilge, but the boat is in Florida.
Your topside exterior Rustoleum will not mildew much and will clean up easily after dry. It will look 'marvelous'.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 20:56   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hi, a water based paint can go over a solvent based paint with a light sand in order to give it a mechanical bond, however the reverse is not true. The solvent based paint will eat into the water based and cause "wrinkling".
If in doubt find the base of each paint type and ask a professional paint supplier.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:08   #5

I have 2 full can (qts) leftover from this summer. I placed two orders, one in May and one in August, not sure which batch these come from, but no more than 4 months and unopened.

I am unskilled, thus the Rustoleum paint, user friendly from what I read. And, I think the bottom (done with bottom paint), topsides and deck came out ok.

This boat was last reg. in San Diego in 2007. I found it in AZ in May after years in the AZ sun and got it for $800.

I have no idea what paint is in the interior, but its a 1977 boat and I am sure it is original.

I have cleaned it, since this pic, but you can get an idea. I have removed the table and scrubbed the inside. Yet, thought interior paint would be a good winter project.

I hope I am doing these pics right, but here is a before pic of the topsides as I was doing some fiberglass patching.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:11   #6

Forgot one question, I read a couple drops of blue will tone down the gloss white, which is better inside. I have an open can of blue from August (stripes), good idea to put a drop or two in the white?

Tags
interior, paint