Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2018, 07:21   #1

Boat: Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse
Shallow Water Cruising in Bahamas?

Hi Guys,

I wonder if I could have some of you experienced Bahamas cruisers help me understand something.

I'm planning on my first time headed from Florida to the Bahamas. I'm an experienced seaman who has thousands of hours on the water in Alaska (Cordova/Prince William Sound). I've also chartered about a dozen times in the BVI's. So, I'm not a noob, but almost all of my experience is in relatively deep water, except for river deltas which as you know, have their own set of rules.

I've been watching videos on youtube of these shallow-draft vessels cruising over miles and miles of swimming-pool-blue waters of 1-3 meters on the Bahama Bank, with no shelter within visible site. It looks great, except the thought keeps popping up in my head: What if the wind kicks up while you're out in the wide-open, shallow water?

With so much fetch, and so little depth, and apparently many hours of cruising before one could find shelter, it seems like you could find yourself in the middle of a field of breakers before long.

Are weather conditions simply predictable enough that you can plan your way through such passages with confidence this won't happen? What am I missing here.

Here's an example of the videos I'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/lRZ3YqM31II?t=750

Thanks in advance for helping a Bahama newbie.

Cheers,

Dave
dave907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 11:06   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Shallow Water Cruising in Bahamas?

Dave, The weather patterns are quite predicable, most people listen in the Chris Parker each morning ( SSB - carry a small receiver ). Yes, there are some REALLY shallow places but if you have the Explore charts, you will be fine. Do not rely only on chart plotters/ electronic charts! Lots of boats drawing 6+ ft and they get along fine. That said, we like to explore out of the way and have had to time crossing in certain areas to the high tide and only draw 4 ft. Once you are in the Abaccos or Exumas, you can see several islands at any one time.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 12:36   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

We draw 6.5' and have been in the Bahamas for 8 winters. There is always several days notice of adverse weather, which is plenty of time to find someplace to hide. Yes, there is plenty of shallow water, but it is very well charted, and the bottom is usually sand. Some of the more remote areas require more care.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 13:19   #4

Boat: Martin 242

I have also wondered about the Bahamas, and the vast stretches of shallow waters. It sounds like the depths are pretty uniform and consistent, and if they are well charted, then that is great. I just worry about cruising along at 6 feet for miles, and then suddenly hit a sand bank which is at 4 feet in the middle of nowhere. I don't read much about this happening, so I suppose this may not actually be something I need to worry about.
elee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 13:25   #5

Any point in taking a boat with a 10 foot draft there?

Would love to cruise the area but think I might be out of luck
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 16:33   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Any point in taking a boat with a 10 foot draft there?

Would love to cruise the area but think I might be out of luck
10' draft would be very limiting. Many areas would be inaccessible. There still would be places to go, but you would need a fast dinghy with good range.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 17:05   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Actually the shallow areas of the banks are quite safe from waves. The water is simply not deep enough to support the development of large waves. The shallow water causes waves to develop short periods and steep faces which can result in a very uncomfortable ride, but not dangerous to a cruising boat. These short steep faces tend to break before reaching a significant height. The biggest wave I have seen on the banks has been about 1.2m in 3-5 meters and maybe 60-70 cm in 2-3 meters. There are not all that many places where the water is less than three meters and they are easily avoided. The example in the video of south of hog cay and the Hog cay cut are the exception rather than the rule.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 19:35   #8

Boat: Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Actually the shallow areas of the banks are quite safe from waves. The water is simply not deep enough to support the development of large waves. The shallow water causes waves to develop short periods and steep faces which can result in a very uncomfortable ride, but not dangerous to a cruising boat. These short steep faces tend to break before reaching a significant height. The biggest wave I have seen on the banks has been about 1.2m in 3-5 meters and maybe 60-70 cm in 2-3 meters. There are not all that many places where the water is less than three meters and they are easily avoided. The example in the video of south of hog cay and the Hog cay cut are the exception rather than the rule.
Thanks Bill! This is what I was hoping to learn.

Thanks for all that kindly responded. Always a lot to learn! Hope to see you all somewhere the water is blue and the sand is white!

Dave
dave907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 04:06   #9

Thanks. I'd kind of written it off and maybe too much trouble. Might go straight from BVI to Bermuda as almost everything east of there is too shallow for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post
10' draft would be very limiting. Many areas would be inaccessible. There still would be places to go, but you would need a fast dinghy with good range.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 04:49   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

I did the bahamas 2 years ago in my 6'4"draft boat and never hit bottom. Sometimes you have to anchor out a little further and it will seem lonely, till the charter cat boat anchors near you because they think "that's the anchoring place" :-)
Old 29-10-2018, 10:01   #11

Boat: S2 35C

Do need to take particular notice of tides and current. e.g. The Grand Bahamas Bank is several thousand square miles in area but the average depth is something like 6 feet. The daily tides range is just under a meter from low to high. That is a heckuva lot of water to get on and off the Bank twice a day. So it can get crazy at the edges and crossing a large area you need to stay aware of tide set. It's all predictable and well documented though.
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 11:15   #12

Boat: LAGOON 440 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave907 View Post
Hi Guys,

I wonder if I could have some of you experienced Bahamas cruisers help me understand something.

I'm planning on my first time headed from Florida to the Bahamas. I'm an experienced seaman who has thousands of hours on the water in Alaska (Cordova/Prince William Sound). I've also chartered about a dozen times in the BVI's. So, I'm not a noob, but almost all of my experience is in relatively deep water, except for river deltas which as you know, have their own set of rules.

I've been watching videos on youtube of these shallow-draft vessels cruising over miles and miles of swimming-pool-blue waters of 1-3 meters on the Bahama Bank, with no shelter within visible site. It looks great, except the thought keeps popping up in my head: What if the wind kicks up while you're out in the wide-open, shallow water?

With so much fetch, and so little depth, and apparently many hours of cruising before one could find shelter, it seems like you could find yourself in the middle of a field of breakers before long.

Are weather conditions simply predictable enough that you can plan your way through such passages with confidence this won't happen? What am I missing here.

Here's an example of the videos I'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/lRZ3YqM31II?t=750

Thanks in advance for helping a Bahama newbie.

Cheers,

Dave
He is travelling on the West side of the Exumas - there are plenty of cuts, Cays and good anchorages all the way up. Essentially you can day sail your way all around the Bahamas and if the weather comes up, just pull in somewhere. We have a Lagoon 440, we draw 4’ & we bumped a couple of times but the recommended routes are well charted but be sure to update your electronic charts on a regular basis.
JeffBurnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 12:21   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

Dave,
I have sailed the Bahamas for the past 9 seasons, usually 3-4 months per season. It is safe, beautiful and arguably the best sailing in the world due to the protected banks with no fetch and constant winds. I find no need to get beat up sailing further south into the Caribbean. My draft is 5' 3" and have run aground more times than I can remember. If your not running aground at least once a week, well your just not trying hard enough. There is a saying in the Bahamas, "If your boat sinks you just get out and walk to shore".
I watched the video and strong currents in the Bahamas are 3-4 knots, not what you would consider strong currents.
Excluding the cuts to the ocean, the passages between banks and the 3ft tides, I consider sailing in the Bahamas more like lake sailing rather than ocean sailing. Another Bahamian saying is "It's gooder in the Bahamas!"
See you in the Bahamas
Jim
s/v Patty Jean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1157.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	179847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patty Jean moored in Hope Town Bahamas.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	179848  

Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 11:22   #14

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Sailing on the banks in the Bahamas is a lot like sailing on the Chesapeake, only prettier. When rough, you get 3-4' square waves close together that will bash you pretty good, but there is always a cay somewhere nearby so you can get in the lee if you have to.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 12:37   #15

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo Jim View Post
"If your boat sinks you just get out and walk to shore".
Ha ha!!!

Those are some postcard-quality photos, CJ!
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, water