Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 14:00   #1

Boat: 1972 Yankee 28
Yankee 28 Rigging Tension Guide

Hello There,

I have a 1972 Yankee 28, but when I bought the boat, there was no rigging tension guide on-board, and I have not been able to locate one on the internet.

Does anyone have a Yankee Yachts or Yankee 28 Rigging Tension Guide they would be willing to scan and email me?

Thank you very much.

Tom Dancs
tomdancs@gmail.com
Tom Dancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 14:29   #2

Re: Yankee 28 Rigging Tension Guide

Hey there maybe this will help Tension Gauges
Old 06-05-2017, 11:11   #3

Boat: 1972 Yankee 28

Thanks Bunk97,

I have a tension gauge, but it’s no help if I don't know what amount of tension the manufacturer (Yankee in this case) has specified for the stays and shrouds.

I am looking for a tension guide (usually part of an owner’s manual, or a separate document put out by the manufacturer), which specifies for each boat the recommended wire gauges and the amount of tension there that should be applied (e.g., buy tightening the turnbuckles).

Note: the link you provided has this statement within the writing: "Specific tension requirements for your application must be obtained from the boat, mast, or sail manufacturer or the manufacturer of the product on which the (cable or rod) is used."

Regards,

Tom Dancs
Tom Dancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:32   #4

There really is no reason to have a specific rigging guide for your boat. Even if you had a guide, you'd still have to check and fine tune under actual sailing conditions.

If you want to use a Loos gauge, and don't have specific tension for your rig, it's entirely legitimate to tension each shroud to 15% of it's breaking strength. That will put you well into the ballpark. The loos gauge includes slots in the side that you use to measure the shroud and determine the 15% figure. You can determine 15% of breaking strength by measuring the diameter of a shroud. You can look up what 15% of breaking strength is for that diameter shroud. Simpler than you thought?

You should be able to find some generic rigging tips for your particular rig. It's a sloop right?....with two cap shrouds and some arrangement of baby shrouds. Forestay and a backstay. Yup. You should be able to find some generic tips for your rig. You'll start with getting the mast in column, and going from there.

Let's say you start with using a Loos gauge to set the tension in your rig. With that done, you'll take her out and sail her into the wind, and see how loose the leeward shroud is. Any decent rig tuning guide will give you an idea of how loose that leeward shroud should be. Flapping in the breeze?....too loose! You'll get a good idea of how tight it should be in the breezes you sail in.

One guide that's free and well written is from Selden. That's where I'd start.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging