Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 12:00   #1

S&S Catalina 38

Folks,

I thought I would always inherit my Dad's CS 33 here in Toronto. Unfortunately, he has sold her.

I now realize I was more attached to sailing than I thought, and would like to begin the search for my own boat.

I have always loved the look of the S&S Catalina 38 but have never sailed on one. I am wondering if there are any on the Canadian side of the great lakes to have a look at in person.

I'd love to find a mid 80's Catalina 38 with the shoal keel for great lakes sailing but would love to find someone who can advise on this boat, or perhaps recommend others like it?

I'm very handy and can handle any engine/electrical/plumbing issues, but would be looking for a solid boat to sail around Lake Ontario out of Toronto.

Additionally, I have a wife new to sailing, so the ideal boat would be something she would enjoy learning on. Finally, I'd love to raise my 8 year old son to love sailing, and to create something we can do together into the future.

Your overall thoughts on this boat would be very valuable. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how I might find someone with a boat like this to have a peek at, I'd be very grateful!

Happy Sailing!
Thehive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 19:41   #2

Re: S&S Catalina 38

.I have Catalina 38, 1980. Great boat. Mine is not a shoal draft Though, it draws 6’9”. it’s located in New York City. I totally agree with the look of the boat. Has the best looking ass and with all the tumble home it’s sort of reminds me of A battleship. Sails like a dream, fast and nimble. I have no idea what the shoal Draft handles like but I will tell you with a 150 Genoa It might feel a bit frontloaded over 20 kn of wind. If you’re in New York come on down and look.
Goldy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:27   #3

Re: S&S Catalina 38

Hi Goldy,

Thanks very much for your thoughts and offer to view your boat.

I agree with you on the look of the boat. Beautiful in my estimation.

I have heard that the interior of this boat is less roomy than other boats of that size. They do look low in comparison to others. I'm not a tall person so I don't feel that the lower head room will be a problem for me.

Any other feedback you might have?

I wonder if the full keel version of this boat will present a problem for me sailing in the great lakes. I will mostly sail around Toronto on Lake Ontario and will have to investigate if the 6'9" full keel draw will be problematic. There certainly are more of the full keel boats available than the shoal keel.

Thanks again for your offer to see her. I do travel to New York City occasionally so I will let you know the next time I plan on being there and perhaps we can set something up.

Cheers,

Paul
Thehive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 38