Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 18:40   #1

Raystar GPS to Lowrance VHF

I have a Lowrance VHF radio that appears to be NMEA 2000

There is a Raystar 125 GPS cable that is dangling unconnected next to the radio and I can only think that it is not connected as the GPS is 0183? The Raystar 125 manual does not mention NMEA 2000, but only 0183, and Seatalk

I see 4 wire 0183 to 2000 adapters in the 200 USD bracket.
Is there a multiple channel MUX/adapter as this would allow me to convert all the old 0183 devices to 2000

Or just buy a new NMEA 2000 GPS
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:02   #2

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: Raystar GPS to Lowrance VHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
...Is there a multiple channel MUX/adapter...[?]
The Actisense NDC-4 may be useful, but at $300 it costs more than a new GPS receiver.

Most Lowrance radios have NMEA-0183 ports. If the GPS receiver is a NMEA-0183 device and you want to interface it to the radio, why not use NMEA-0183?
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:15   #3

it would be cheaper to buy a new VHF then a nk2 gps antenna. is the vhf not 183? what is your current nav system / gps being used?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 18:08   #4

I wanted NMEA 2000 but can live with NMEA 0183 as a stand alone device, and see the input to the radio

The challenge now is to get the Raystar 125 GPS talking to the radio as the Ray wiring code is a mystery, or the GPS is dead
I have tried a couple of combos on the Ray but the instructions give both wires at TX+???

Thanks for all the help as I am in the Philippines and zero technical support for an electron challenged yachitie
Old 11-12-2017, 20:20   #5

Raystar 125 wiring code:

Red = 12V power
Yellow = NMEA out +
Brown = RTCM in +
Green = NMEA in +
Shield = ground

What is RTCM in +
Return common???

Where is the NMEA Out -

A footnote in the instructions says:
If the brown and green wires are not used, tie both to the ground

The GPS is the talker to the VHF listener
Old 12-12-2017, 08:39   #6

I just realized you're the same guy with multiple other nmea 183 posts.. why are you buying gear before figuring out how it works. And if it's compatible? This is rediculas. Plan first. Then Buy.

Connect it to your raymarine screen via n2k.

Why did you not answer my question about current mfd.
Old 12-12-2017, 18:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I just realized you're the same guy with multiple other nmea 183 posts.. why are you buying gear before figuring out how it works. And if it's compatible? This is rediculas. Plan first. Then Buy.

Connect it to your raymarine screen via n2k.

Why did you not answer my question about current mfd.
This is all legacy gear on a boat I bought that is either not connected, or not working.
The MFD has nothing to do with connecting the VHF to this GPS as a stand alone system, but since you asked, it is a Raymarine eS127, that I bought, studied the manual, and researched compatibility

As I explained, I am in The Philippines and no technical support at all, and I appreciate all the help that I have been given on this forum

I take it that you do not want to answer the question about the Raystar wiring code, but please note that I thanked you for your help in my other posts
Old 12-12-2017, 19:04   #8

the MFD does mater because you could connect the vhf to the MDF via nmea 2000. and it would work. instead of trying to get a 10 year old gps antenna to work. many of ray 125's no longer work.

you have the wiring code above. connect the red to a fused power source. same as vhf would be easiest and best so it's always on with VHF. it's a tiny draw probably 1a fuse. connect yellow to vhf RX +. brown, green, sheild to DC neg. same as VHF neg. ground vhf RX- to same spot

this is assuming the VHF has a nmea183 input.
Old 12-12-2017, 21:06   #9

Quote:
Raystar 125 wiring code:

Red = 12V power
Yellow = NMEA out +
Brown = RTCM in +
Green = NMEA in +
Shield = ground

What is RTCM in +
Return common???

Where is the NMEA Out -

A footnote in the instructions says:
If the brown and green wires are not used, tie both to the ground
My interpretation is as follows, based entirely on your information quoted above:

RAYSTAR 125 NMEA-0183
TALKER A = yellow
TALKER B = not provided

LISTENER A = green
LISTENER B = not provided

To interconnect with other NMEA-0183 devices, refer to my guidelines mentioned to you earlier in earlier discussions. See

GUIDE TO NMEA-0183 INTERCONNECTIONS
continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: NMEA-0183 Interconnection Guide

The brown wire is probably an input for differential GPS correction data being sent using the RTCM SC-104 format. For more information on differential GPS correction data in this format see

DGNSS Standards - Navipedia

RTCM is an acronym for Radio Technical Commission for Maritime Services. SC is an acronym for Special Committee.
SC-104 is a special committee that works on differential GNSS standards.

You can also assume the brown wire is a NMEA-0183 electrical signal wire, so it would then be

LISTENER A = brown (for RTCM SC-104 data)

In you do not have a differential GPS receiver you can ignore that input.

If you have a differential GPS receiver, check to see if there is any differential GPS local system in your region (Philippines). Your local marine authorities would know what frequencies to tune the receiver to obtain the correction data. Note that differential GPS (DGPS) is not used much these days in North America by recreational boaters, but might still be working in other regions and more popular there with recreational boaters.
Old 14-12-2017, 20:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
the MFD does mater because you could connect the vhf to the MDF via nmea 2000. and it would work. instead of trying to get a 10 year old gps antenna to work. many of ray 125's no longer work.

you have the wiring code above. connect the red to a fused power source. same as vhf would be easiest and best so it's always on with VHF. it's a tiny draw probably 1a fuse. connect yellow to vhf RX +. brown, green, sheild to DC neg. same as VHF neg. ground vhf RX- to same spot

this is assuming the VHF has a nmea183 input.
Thanks for the help and I wired this way.
All that got me was a flashing green light indicating the GPS is outputting NMEA 0183, so since it was not the red light of death, I changed the GPS internal battery in the faint hope that it would work. Still a flashing light and nothing to the GPS after an hour of hoping it would find a signal

I think it is time to pronounce the GPS dead

My system is simple with only a AIS and pilot, and adequately serviced by the 0183 ports in the Ray MFD. I was hoping to avoid the cost of using NMEA 2000 just to use the GPS integral to the ES127 to the VHF.

Now with a dead GPS to the radio it is a different game.....

Simrad has a cable 24006199 to go from the pilot to NMEA 2000.

Are Seatalk NG connectors N2K?
I am hoping that since N2K is a standard specification that all brands of N2K connectors are the same.
Old 15-12-2017, 06:15   #11

Quote:
...Still a flashing light and nothing to the GPS after an hour of hoping it would find a signal

I think it is time to pronounce the GPS dead...
I think your basis is flawed. Have you looked at the actual NMEA data from the GPS receiver on a terminal? You seem to be relying on the connection you made between GPS receiver and radio to be correct. The problem could easily be the connection, not the GPS receiver.
Old 15-12-2017, 19:25   #12

flashing green means it has gps pos. flashing orange means it doesn't. probably connection error

http://c470.jerodisys.com/470Lib/gps_125.pdf
Old 16-12-2017, 22:06   #13

Right again and I persisted in the connection error diagnosis and it was a damaged pin on the radio connection

Problem solved

Thanks again for all the help, and it was very much appreciated

Tags
gps, vhf