Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 01:02   #1

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger
RUDDER CONTROL ASTERN: WHEEL BRAKE or LOCK without LASHING Old Twin Engine Catamaran

RUDDER CONTROL ASTERN: WHEEL BRAKE or LOCK without LASHING (Old Twin Engine Catamaran)

I am trying to make a wheel lock to stop rudder whiplash when going astern. How do I make a wheel brake or lock for an old cat with a small wooden wheel? Lashing is not appropriate due to the helm design, there is no room behind the wheel to fit an autopilot autopilot. The location of the wire 'quadrant' is also fairly confined.

I don't think simple lashing will work for my small traditional design spoked wooden wheel. This cannot be a new problem - how did they do it in the past? Any ideas much appreciated. Both hands needed to control the throttles each side of the helm, so no free hand due to distance between them!

Your inputs much appreciated ... thanks!
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:21   #2

Boat: Presto 36
Re: RUDDER CONTROL ASTERN: WHEEL BRAKE or LOCK without LASHING Old Twin Engine Catama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
RUDDER CONTROL ASTERN: WHEEL BRAKE or LOCK without LASHING (Old Twin Engine Catamaran)

I am trying to make a wheel lock to stop rudder whiplash when going astern. How do I make a wheel brake or lock for an old cat with a small wooden wheel? Lashing is not appropriate due to the helm design, there is no room behind the wheel to fit an autopilot autopilot. The location of the wire 'quadrant' is also fairly confined.

I don't think simple lashing will work for my small traditional design spoked wooden wheel. This cannot be a new problem - how did they do it in the past? Any ideas much appreciated. Both hands needed to control the throttles each side of the helm, so no free hand due to distance between them!

Your inputs much appreciated ... thanks!
Give the folks at Edson a call. They offer a shaft mounted brake that provides clamping force on the wheel shaft.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:29   #3

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger
Re: RUDDER CONTROL ASTERN: WHEEL BRAKE or LOCK without LASHING Old Twin Engine Catama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
Give the folks at Edson a call. They offer a shaft mounted brake that provides clamping force on the wheel shaft.
I'll check out their website - but they look a bit hi tech for an old wooden wheel. Maybe I could fabricate something from a couple of teak offcuts?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:29   #4

Bobcat: They have an entire section for steering systems for traditional craft. Their wheel brake is not too expensive.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
Bobcat: They have an entire section for steering systems for traditional craft. Their wheel brake is not too expensive.
Difficult to locate on their website - what do they call them? I am probably looking for something mounted on the bulkhead that would clamp onto the spoke of a traditional wooden wheel. Do you have a link to them? Many thanks.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
... Lashing is not appropriate due to the helm design ...
Difficult to say without knowing what your helm design is. Can you post a photo, and perhaps we can give some advice?

In general, it sounds like retrofitting a autopilot, or even an internal wheel brake, to your existing historical wheel/helm would not work. That leaves external controls. Traditionally, these were either a lashing rope or a stop. If a lashing won't work, then let's move to a stop. You'll want to design one that will engage only when you want it to, and not when you're trying to steer. For that reason, it should naturally fall away from the wheel on its own, so think about the area under the wheel so gravity pulls it away and it does not naturally foul the wheel. I suggest that it engages at least two spokes of the wheel, considering that a single spoke may snap off. Your stop should be sturdy, weatherproof, and aesthetically fit with the rest of the helm station - teak perhaps?

I'm thinking about a small teak board mounted with hinges on your helm just in front of the wheel and below it. It would be notched out to fit a couple of your spokes. When lifted to a horizontal position, it would engage two spokes. You can secure it to the engaged position by a short bungee through the wheel or hub. This is a do-it-yourself fix, or you can have a handy-man knock it up.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:08   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Difficult to say without knowing what your helm design is. Can you post a photo, and perhaps we can give some advice?

In general, it sounds like retrofitting a autopilot, or even an internal wheel brake, to your existing historical wheel/helm would not work. That leaves external controls. Traditionally, these were either a lashing rope or a stop. If a lashing won't work, then let's move to a stop. You'll want to design one that will engage only when you want it to, and not when you're trying to steer. For that reason, it should naturally fall away from the wheel on its own, so think about the area under the wheel so gravity pulls it away and it does not naturally foul the wheel. I suggest that it engages at least two spokes of the wheel, considering that a single spoke may snap off. Your stop should be sturdy, weatherproof, and aesthetically fit with the rest of the helm station - teak perhaps?

I'm thinking about a small teak board mounted with hinges on your helm just in front of the wheel and below it. It would be notched out to fit a couple of your spokes. When lifted to a horizontal position, it would engage two spokes. You can secure it to the engaged position by a short bungee through the wheel or hub. This is a do-it-yourself fix, or you can have a handy-man knock it up.
That sounds like an inexpensive feasible solution that has little or no chance of being inadvertently engaged.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:03   #8

Quote:
Difficult to locate on their website - what do they call them? I am probably looking for something mounted on the bulkhead that would clamp onto the spoke of a traditional wooden wheel. Do you have a link to them? Many thanks.
On the Edson website, on the main page, the Traditional Steering systems and components site is located on the bottom of the left hand side.

Tags
catamaran, engine, rudder, wheel