Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2017, 16:53   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
RO High Pressure housing ports & large Pre-filter suppiers.

Hello everyone,

I'm at the tail end of finishing building an engine driven water maker. This is a DYI effort. Now I'm about to order a single Frotec High pressure housing, (FRP 4040 Membrane Housing (1000 Psi). I have a choice of selecting ether end ports or side ports to connect up the in and out hoses.

My High-Pressure housing question,
it seems for my use the side ports are more suitable if one needs to change the membrane you do not have to undo the hoses? However, I have not been able to find any information as to the effect if the installation is made with a side port instead of end port High Pressure housing? Does anyone know? Can the same model of matching membrane size be used regardless of the port placement?

Replacement water pre-filter Question, Re pre-sea water filters, I have two Sea Recovery large housings. (Reason, I'm using a large volume Wanner pump 8 gal per min.) the filters for these housings are very expensive. Does anyone know if there is a non-branded replacement 10 and
5 micron replacement filter that are more affordable?

The Sea Recovery Filter references are
0801063057, 5 Micron Filter List $108.00 each and
08020622KD Oil Water Filter List $160 each comes $128 each for box of 6 filters.
Attached is the photo of the housing and filter sizes.

Many thanks everyone for reading and considering my questions

Kryg SV.Skoiern IV
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:35   #2

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: RO High Pressure housing ports & large Pre-filter suppiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm at the tail end of finishing building an engine driven water maker. This is a DYI effort. Now I'm about to order a single Frotec High pressure housing, (FRP 4040 Membrane Housing (1000 Psi). I have a choice of selecting ether end ports or side ports to connect up the in and out hoses.

My High-Pressure housing question,
it seems for my use the side ports are more suitable if one needs to change the membrane you do not have to undo the hoses? However, I have not been able to find any information as to the effect if the installation is made with a side port instead of end port High Pressure housing? Does anyone know? Can the same model of matching membrane size be used regardless of the port placement?

Replacement water pre-filter Question, Re pre-sea water filters, I have two Sea Recovery large housings. (Reason, I'm using a large volume Wanner pump 8 gal per min.) the filters for these housings are very expensive. Does anyone know if there is a non-branded replacement 10 and
5 micron replacement filter that are more affordable?

The Sea Recovery Filter references are
0801063057, 5 Micron Filter List $108.00 each and
08020622KD Oil Water Filter List $160 each comes $128 each for box of 6 filters.
Attached is the photo of the housing and filter sizes.

Many thanks everyone for reading and considering my questions

Kryg SV.Skoiern IV
On filters, I use filters.com. Yours will be more than mine since I can use 2.5" diameter, but I pay around $3.50 for a 5 micron pleated or string wound filter from them when bought by the case. My setup involves a 50 micron stainless steel plankton filter, then a 20 micron string filter, then a 5 micron string. Seems to work well.
Old 01-09-2017, 16:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
On filters, I use filters.com. Yours will be more than mine since I can use 2.5" diameter, but I pay around $3.50 for a 5 micron pleated or string wound filter from them when bought by the case. My setup involves a 50 micron stainless steel plankton filter, then a 20 micron string filter, then a 5 micron string. Seems to work well.
Thank you for your helpful advice, I have sent a message to Filters.com. I'm hopeful they have replacements I require.

Re your stainless steel 50 micron Pre-filter Is this the first inline inlet filter to catch all flotsam including sea weed also?

PS. Your Delfin restoration what nice robust vessel. Now you have the restoration expedience, would you undertake such a project again?

May you enjoy many navigation experiences.

SV. Skoiern IV Kryg
Old 01-09-2017, 17:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Sea Recovery filter housings looks like what's commonly known as Big Blue housings. They look to be 4.5x10. I use 4.5x20 1 micron and pay about $10, including shipping, each on Ebay for my size. Your 10" are probably slightly cheaper. Amazon is another place to look.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 17:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Sea Recovery filter housings looks like what's commonly known as Big Blue housings. They look to be 4.5x10. I use 4.5x20 1 micron and pay about $10, including shipping, each on Ebay for my size. Your 10" are probably slightly cheaper. Amazon is another place to look.
Hi Lepke,

Many Thanks for your information, I will look into Big Blue Housings.

Here are the filter sizes to fit Sea Recovery housings, one filter has the ability to filter water in an oily harbor.

Replacment Filter Dimensions,
5 micron size 10.44” L x 7.25” OD x 3.”
10 micron size 10.19” L x 5.94” OD x 3.09”

Fair winds,
Kryg, SV/ Skoiern IV.
Old 01-09-2017, 18:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Hi Lepke,

Many Thanks for your information, I will look into Big Blue Housings.

Here are the filter sizes to fit Sea Recovery housings, one filter has the ability to filter water in an oily harbor.

Replacment Filter Dimensions,
5 micron size 10.44” L x 7.25” OD x 3.”
10 micron size 10.19” L x 5.94” OD x 3.09”

Fair winds,
Kryg, SV/ Skoiern IV.
It wouldn't be terribly surprising for a manufacturer to create a "special" set of consumables only available from themselves at high prices. I would suggest that you look at standard, non proprietary filtration. The manufacturer of my unit will sell me their version of a $4.00 filter for $12.00 if I would prefer that, which I don't. Sea Recovery may have come up with non-standard sizing for their filters to facilitate a continuing revenue stream from purchasers, but there is no reason not to abandon their proprietary sizing for much cheaper, but equally effective alternatives. A 5 micron filter is a 5 micron filter. Since oil floats on water, unless your pick up is at the surface, I'm not sure why you would want an oil filtering capability but I don't know the specifics of your usage or design.

And yes, the 50 micron is to filter out the chunks. It does collect a fair amount of stuff, and I think the 20 micron after that helps extend the life of the 5 micron filter. I have also found that string wound filters work longer than pleated. Not sure why, but they do. Remember that as a filter "fills", it begins to filter smaller particles so the staging of filters in decreasing micron size probably adds to efficiency. In other words, a 20 micron filter is only 20 microns initially. After a period of time, it may well be capturing finer particles than that.

And yes, I would restore Delfin all over again, if it came to that....
Old 01-09-2017, 19:22   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

A 5 micron filter is a 5 micron filter, sort of...... Just make sure are comparing apples to apples on price. While 5 microns is 5 microns you will find that more expensive pleated filters have many more pleats, hence more surface area therefore will not clog as quickly. I use one 20 micron and one 5 micron per season in the Bahamas, but that is very clean water. If you are likely to be using your water maker in less than clean clear water, the higher priced filters may cut down on your maintenance. Just make sure you aren't just paying more for the cheap low surface area filters.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 19:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
A 5 micron filter is a 5 micron filter, sort of...... Just make sure are comparing apples to apples on price. While 5 microns is 5 microns you will find that more expensive pleated filters have many more pleats, hence more surface area therefore will not clog as quickly. I use one 20 micron and one 5 micron per season in the Bahamas, but that is very clean water. If you are likely to be using your water maker in less than clean clear water, the higher priced filters may cut down on your maintenance. Just make sure you aren't just paying more for the cheap low surface area filters.
The problem with pleated filters, in my experience, is that because they are paper, they can tear and when they tear they are worthless. The difference in surface area between string wound and pleated is not great, but string wound can't fall apart and let chunks through to the membrane, which I have had happen. As noted below, if all particles are the same size, pleated may be best. If they aren't, and they certainly aren't with sea water, string wound may be best. Your choice.

Either way, standard filter housings and standard filters are the way to go, IMO.

Sediment Filters: Which is Best? –Â*Pure Water Products, LLC

Tags
ports