Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2018, 15:41   #1
cruiser

Finally bought a sailboat!

Almost 10 years after selling my 29.5' Irwin sloop I finally bought another sailboat! A 41' Morgan OI 1981.
I know, it's a slow tub on the water but I like the room and the 13.5' beam. So my parents neighbor in Panama City had the boat pushed up in his back yard. Coast guard inspected it and said there was no breaches in the hull and they are coming back to drag it back in the water. It's mostly sitting in marsh. Has an 80hp perkins diesel that was recently rebuilt. Cosmetically it could use some elbow grease and a good bottom cleaning but it's mostly ok. He was only asking $5k for it. It wasn't really damaged other than a little bit of ripping in the main sail and some scratches that arent too deep in the gel coat.
About 6 of the windows need replaced but he had already had them rebuilt. A few minor interior issues but the sole looks great as does most of the wood. I'll be spending a lot of time in the near future fixing it up.
So for the very debatable question...is it worth $5k? I'm meeting him Thursday and giving him the money. He said he would guarantee the hull and motor for a month after cost guard pulls it back in the water. I'm very aware of the time and money it will take to get it into great shape but I need a hobby anyway and I can have fun on it while fixing it up. It's decent enough that i could live on it if i wanted to but that's for later down the road when i become a full time cruiser.
KM2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 17:35   #2

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Finally bought a sailboat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM2018 View Post
Almost 10 years after selling my 29.5' Irwin sloop I finally bought another sailboat! A 41' Morgan OI 1981.
I know, it's a slow tub on the water but I like the room and the 13.5' beam. So my parents neighbor in Panama City had the boat pushed up in his back yard. Coast guard inspected it and said there was no breaches in the hull and they are coming back to drag it back in the water. It's mostly sitting in marsh. Has an 80hp perkins diesel that was recently rebuilt. Cosmetically it could use some elbow grease and a good bottom cleaning but it's mostly ok. He was only asking $5k for it. It wasn't really damaged other than a little bit of ripping in the main sail and some scratches that arent too deep in the gel coat.
About 6 of the windows need replaced but he had already had them rebuilt. A few minor interior issues but the sole looks great as does most of the wood. I'll be spending a lot of time in the near future fixing it up.
So for the very debatable question...is it worth $5k? I'm meeting him Thursday and giving him the money. He said he would guarantee the hull and motor for a month after cost guard pulls it back in the water. I'm very aware of the time and money it will take to get it into great shape but I need a hobby anyway and I can have fun on it while fixing it up. It's decent enough that i could live on it if i wanted to but that's for later down the road when i become a full time cruiser.
Man a Morgan OI 41 for $5k with a running motor and not being submerged.....I think that's a great deal! I've never sailed one, but I've always admired them. They aren't ungodly looking, known to be sturdy and reliable.

Don't under estimate the cost of a refit (I am currently going through it). Stuff ain't cheap even when doing it yourself
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 18:08   #3
cruiser

Just needs pulled back in the water
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_131604.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	179903   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_094805.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	179904  

Old 30-10-2018, 18:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM2018 View Post
Just needs pulled back in the water
I have always loved the space in them. They also have a great draft! Also that girls a ketch which I think gives one the best sail plan.

Any shots on the interior? Hows the standing rigging look?

I wouldnt be deterred if the rigging needs replacing. Chain plates can often be fabricated by just about any metal shop, and if you do the polishing yourself, you can save a significant amount. I had chain plates built for my bristol 27 for about $400 total from a metal shop who builds parts for boeing using 316 stainless. I had to polish myself but was not terribly hard.
Old 30-10-2018, 18:43   #5

Actually, you should get a surveyor to inspect the boat while it's high and dry! Also, you may want to do what work you can on the bottom before it gets pulled back into the water.

Note, if you do none of the above, then do not buy this boat until it is floating dockside! Otherwise you run the risk of having to pay for the removal off the prior owners property. AFAIK the CG does not, and will not, use any of their assets to relaunch a private vessel that is high and dry. The coxswain that does that will be answering to their CO before they dock at the station I can assure you of that. The liability rests with the tow vessel if anything goes wrong.

That morgan is not a catalina 22 or hobie that weigh under 2,000 lbs! Looks to be needing some serious hp at that weight. Please photograph the vessel being refloated with all of the action in the same frame,ie, towboat and morgan so we can see how easy it was��
Old 30-10-2018, 19:25   #6
cruiser

Inside is messy. Everything got tossed around. But it is in decent shape. A few small areas I'll replace some wood but that's just thin shelves. I went down in it today and checked it out. It has a diesel generator that works although appears to be a but older.
Standing rigging seems solid, one of the stays came off a spreader but nothing looks damaged. I keep telling the seller he should keep it but his wife wants it gone. I never want to feel I'm taking advantage of someone who is just upset and depressed about their house getting destroyed.
But he insists he wants to get rid of it and I have until Thursday to buy it before he leaves town for a while. Its coast guard registered, not sure if that's a benefit...
I'll be going around town looking for spare parts I can buy on the cheap from destroyed boats...there are lots of them unfortunately. The Panama City Marina has boats stacked on top of each other all over. Very sad site to see all those beautiful boats and imagine all the hard work put into them just mangled together.
Old 30-10-2018, 20:13   #7

CG 'registered' is not the correct term. It is cg 'documented', your lack of understanding this basic terminology tells me you may not understand what is involved in refloating this very heavy vessel.

I can understand what they went through, and your trying to talk him out of selling his boat. It is not going anywhere on thursday or any day after that without someone spending a few thousand dollars. Offer to keep an eye on the boat until they return at a later date. Let them spend some time away from their wrecked home, property to come back with a clearer head. They may end up needing it as their temporary home until they find another house. The price wont change when they get back. You could offer to straighten up the inside so that it is clean when they get back. That would be neighborly of you imo.
Old 30-10-2018, 20:21   #8
cruiser

I am not refloating anything. The owner and coast guard are doing that. The arrangements have already been made, the coast guard inspected the hull and they are getting it back to the water for free.
You cant see it in the pics but it was taken at low tide. At high tide a good amount of it is sitting in shallow water but deep enough to get it out.
While I have committed to it that comes with the contingency that it floats and the motor runs.
You are correct, I am no expert at sailing but I know the basics and I will learn more. I find that most sailors are happy to share their experiences and expertise without being condescending. Yes, I do know the cost for getting a very heavy vessel out. But the CG is confident that the hull has not been breached and that they can safely move it. As far as the CG not doing that, I don't know but they are. There are a lot of things going on here that are not the norm. Not sure if you have been watching the news but things got really really bad here.

The owner has been away from his house. His wife has never liked the sailboat and she wanted it to sink anyway.
I was not searching for a sailboat at the moment but I've always been looking out for a great deal. This seems to be that deal so why not. My Irwin was much smaller and not in the best shape and I paid almost as much for it. I don't see how I can go wrong for $5k
As far as working on it where it sits is impossible due to the marsh. It is not solid ground.
Old 30-10-2018, 20:40   #9

The owner is leaving on thursday, thats 48hrs from now. I can tell you the CG is not going to come out to tow this vessel. I worked down there after numerous hurricanes and that is an insurance claim, boatus tow, not a vessel in distress in any way, shape or form. What you are saying and my 45 yrs of boating experience differ greatly. Be sure to video tape the whole event because there are plenty here who also doubt your claim (with as many years afloat as I have). Even a retired coastie cant get that done. The cg is regulated not to take the work of the tow companies.
Old 30-10-2018, 20:47   #10
cruiser

Sorry, I wasnt trying to write a novel nor did I know every detailed had to be explained. He IS leaving Thursday, but he will be back....because his house is still here...people that have their houses heavily damaged tend to move out while their house is getting repaired. And I guess you know the entire timeline of when the CG looked at it and when they are returning. That is an amazing skill to have!
I guess you are the exception to what I normally find in an experienced sailor...most arent so negative and full of knowledge about something with such limited details.
It really doesn't matter who gets it out, it was not relevant to this thread. What I am buying is a lightly damaged boat that is seaworthy enough to motor it to a marina. Then I will worry about the rest.
Btw, I dont live here either. My parents do. So I am in and out of town just like the owner. So Thursday is a good day for both of us to work this out.
Old 30-10-2018, 22:49   #11

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

This is probably a good deal, if you pay the money once the boat is afloat and not before.

But be prepared to spend another 50k or so to get the boat up to standard.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 04:06   #12

I say, "Go for it!"
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 05:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Actually, you should get a surveyor to inspect the boat while it's high and dry! Also, you may want to do what work you can on the bottom before it gets pulled back into the water.

Note, if you do none of the above, then do not buy this boat until it is floating dockside! Otherwise you run the risk of having to pay for the removal off the prior owners property. AFAIK the CG does not, and will not, use any of their assets to relaunch a private vessel that is high and dry. The coxswain that does that will be answering to their CO before they dock at the station I can assure you of that. The liability rests with the tow vessel if anything goes wrong.

That morgan is not a catalina 22 or hobie that weigh under 2,000 lbs! Looks to be needing some serious hp at that weight. Please photograph the vessel being refloated with all of the action in the same frame,ie, towboat and morgan so we can see how easy it was��
I'm not entirely sure about that. When I was in the keys in Nov-December, there were quite a few boats being relaunched by coast guard vessels.

I do agree, get as much work done as possible on the underside before she goes in. Don't worry about things like cutlass bearings or zincs as they can be done in the water.

Also definitely upload photos/video of the boat going in!
Old 31-10-2018, 10:04   #14

Boat: Pearson

Her sister is sitting upright in oyster bay, outside crawfordville fl about 75’ from the bay. No known structural damage, dinged up, they are tough boats, may get it for free, crane cost app. $2500. to lift her into the water or semi.. good luck, and they are roomy..
Old 31-10-2018, 10:04   #15

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
CG 'registered' is not the correct term. It is cg 'documented', your lack of understanding this basic terminology tells me you may not understand what is involved in refloating this very heavy vessel.

Relax Clam, documentation is national registration pure and simple. Even the Coast Guard says so in their faq section:

WHAT IS VESSEL DOCUMENTATION?

Vessel documentation is a national form of registration. It is one of the oldest functions of Government, dating back to the 11th Act of the First Congress. Documentation provides conclusive evidence of nationality for international purposes, provides for unhindered commerce between the states, and admits vessels to certain restricted trades, such as coastwise trade and the fisheries. Since 1920, vessel financing has been enhanced through the availability of preferred mortgages on documented vessels.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...r-FAQ/#anchor1

However I do agree that the OP should wait to pay until towed off the bank to make sure there is no further damage. It would be real nice if he could be there.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat