Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2018, 11:35   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 28
Re: Finally bought a sailboat!

I'm also a Morgan boat owner whose vessel was damaged by this hurricane in Panama City, but Morgans are great sturdy boats and if all is as you say I believe you are getting a real steal even if you have to put in some elbow grease to make her shine again! So, go for it and enjoy the process of owning and fixing a beautiful boat.
CMO Tashina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 11:47   #17

Boat: Albin Vega 27

If that boat were in Alaska you could sell it 10x before Friday for 5K. It would constitute a very good deal in this part of the world. Maybe I should move to Florida.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 11:56   #18

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
I say, "Go for it!"
I totally agree with Byrdman. Pay what you feel is ethically honest. $5K for that boat, based on the description you've given and the photos is a great deal. So don't haggle, just hand over the $5,000 with thanks.

You'll need somewhere to park her obviously. And I'm sure there will be many people around that can and will help with a hand, offer advice, skills and bits and bobs they have surplus.

The negativity you've experienced in the posts above has become more and more predominant in this forum over the last 2 or so years. It often pours out on someone in your position, in that you've found what looks like a great opportunity, for which they're very annoyed that they missed out. I think it's that simple, green envy. Who knows. But engaging with them just antagonises them further and their posts become more and more obnoxious.

Also engaging a surveyor for such a cheap boat to my mind is a waste of money unless they're someone well know to you and the advice they give will be of value.
Old 31-10-2018, 12:03   #19

I look forward to seeing video of a USCG asset refloating a private vessel. Certainly against policy and a job for commercial assistance.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 14:13   #20

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

If that boat has no significant water intrusion, a functional interior, no water inside of engine and you are younger than 60 buy it immediately. Someone on this site is going to scoop you. Based on what you have said the only thing i would be afraid of is damaging it on the pullout. I think I would hire a cherry picker and lift it out unless you can remove a a very high tide. Fire sale price would be 20k. After hurricane Andrew I bought a 6 year old MacGregor 25 for $100 that never sank but had a softball size hole above the waterline. After I bought cushions, sails, motor, repaired and painted the hull, trailer, electrical system I had over 7k in the boat!!! , but thats how it goes. If you put in new sails, rigging, cushions, wiring, dink, hull paint, ports you will be at 80k with your 5k boat. Fun
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 14:44   #21

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Also consider the ac systems, there should be 2, Heads? 2, do they function? Does it have black water tanks and are they functional? These components alone would be 20k + for a mechanic to install. Electronics?...Don't ask. Bottom line from someone who has restored 2 sunk boats and 3 insurance totals is, if that boat has been actively maintained and was in sailable condition before the storm bring the owner a check right now. Keep us posted.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 16:02   #22

Enjoy your boat man . In my opinion for 5k you made a great invesment. the restauration proces has it own pleasure too so dont doubt on your self. Please post here pic after you finish and make it like you like.
Old 31-10-2018, 16:37   #23

Boat: Catalina 1984 38’

I congratulate you on your find. The enjoyment will be, if the boat is actually sound, in going through all the systems, whether they be exterior or internal. When done your boat can be like new with a very solid and trusted skeleton.

A few years ago I found a classic Sparkman & Stephens designed 38 foot sailboat that had been on the hard for a year or so in Bellingham, WA. I looked at it via photographs, questions and a visit over an eight month period.

It was in great shape just old and dusty. Never talked price and was finally asked if I would take it for $15,000. I could not get to the bank fast enough.

The boat now resides in SF Bay ... over the past few years I have gone through all systems, replaced, up graded, renewed, cleaned or polished. I have replaced all electronics with the latest and greatest Garman, new Doyle sails, new sheets,
New Lewmar wenchs on a West Marine two for one sale ... saving a few thousand, windlass.

I now have the boat race ready for Pacific Cup in 2020, mean while cruising in SF Bay and up and down the local California coast. I saved myself roughly $380,000.00 over a like kind new boat of similar quality. I actually think my hull is more solid than newer ones.
impax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 19:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
I look forward to seeing video of a USCG asset refloating a private vessel. Certainly against policy and a job for commercial assistance.
THIS! The original CG inspection was to make certain the vessel was not leaking pollutants, not doing a 'courtesy survey' for a prospective owner lol!

Yo grantmc, get back to me after you've helmed a 12 meter as captain for a few years, you won't be jealous of someone buying a high and dry morgan, that I can assure you.

Just trying to point out the pitfalls of buying a boat hard aground. Hope that I am wrong on everything I tried explaining to the OP, and he enjoys his steal of a boat buy for years to come. He'll enjoy all of the helpful advice he'll find on CF threads.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 20:10   #25

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
THIS! The original CG inspection was to make certain the vessel was not leaking pollutants, not doing a 'courtesy survey' for a prospective owner lol!

Yo grantmc, get back to me after you've helmed a 12 meter as captain for a few years, you won't be jealous of someone buying a high and dry morgan, that I can assure you.

Just trying to point out the pitfalls of buying a boat hard aground. Hope that I am wrong on everything I tried explaining to the OP, and he enjoys his steal of a boat buy for years to come. He'll enjoy all of the helpful advice he'll find on CF threads.
Yes, it is to make sure vessel is not an environmental problem if it were to go back in the water.

This is not out of their scope of work. I know when I volunteered in the keys in November last year, the coast guard was ACTIVELY removing vessels that went aground.

I suspect they do this as a means to prevent environmental hazards down the road as well as get the displaced vessel off other peoples properties.

To the OP - I suspect they haven't been in an environment after a big disaster. Lot of displacement and "unusual" yet ethical things occur
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 20:30   #26

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

I’ve nearly spent 5k looking at boats...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 21:14   #27

Boat: 2003 PDQ 36 Capella

I say go for it. Sounds like a great deal, and you are helping someone who needs fewer headaches. But realize there won’t be any boat slips available in the area for a couple of years. Based on my experience in St. Augustine, after a hurricane, the marinas near the coast are busted up and the few slips available will have long waiting lists. Insurance payouts are very slow for marinas, and some didn’t have insurance at all so they couldn’t rebuild!
sjm823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:14   #28

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm823 View Post
I say go for it. Sounds like a great deal, and you are helping someone who needs fewer headaches. But realize there won’t be any boat slips available in the area for a couple of years. Based on my experience in St. Augustine, after a hurricane, the marinas near the coast are busted up and the few slips available will have long waiting lists. Insurance payouts are very slow for marinas, and some didn’t have insurance at all so they couldn’t rebuild!
The Keys was the same. Lots of destroyed marinas. Lots of boats forced to live on the hook for a while
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:44   #29

Boat: Freedom 32

Congrats. That’s a lot of boat for $5000. Just go into this with eyes wide open you’re going to spend a minimum of $50,000 to get this boat in the condition that it is safe and comfortable good luck
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:35   #30

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Here is one afloat already for $15k...

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/67654
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat