Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 09:05   #1

Boat: 10' surfboard
Yachtworld, Craigslist, Sailboat listings, what else is there?

I live in Utah for the ski season, and recently a friend mentioned KSL.com, It turns out the city of Salt Lake and outlying areas have never warmed up to outside second hand websites and EVERYONE uses this site KSL, so finding used ski gear, room rentals, etc is impossible unless you use this site.

This hobbled me on my first season because I could not find anything in the usual way, on craigslist.

Now I wonder if I may be missing a big chunk of used inventory in my search for the well maintained older boat I am looking for.

I use yachtworld, Craigslist, Cruiser Forum classifieds, and sailboat listings. I also walk the docks and keep an eye out in Marina Del Ray and Ventura/Oxnard. I have not yet begun posting at marina bulletin boards, that is likely a step I will take in the later stages.

Am I missing something big? (I am West Coast bound, so any additional sources should be related to that location) Thanks!
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:14   #2

Yachtworld, Craigslist, Sailboat listings, what else is there?

Are you looking for a boat?
Classified ads, latitude38.com
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:23   #3

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Yachtworld, Craigslist, Sailboat listings, what else is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Are you looking for a boat?
Classified ads, latitude38.com
Yes , not only that what kind of money are you looking to spend ? I know of some marinas in Wilmington where they will give you a boat but you have to sing a lease to keep it there .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:43   #4

Boat: 10' surfboard

Latitude 38 is great thanks!
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 07:29   #5

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

boattrader.com....some adverts may be quite old, so look for posting date. The website is a slow loader as well.
Old 13-02-2017, 08:52   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Sell My Boat, Yacht Auctions | National Liquidators

Not a lot of sailboat inventory, but every once in awhile a real peach shows up. I know someone who got an amazing deal on one of their boats, most of which are newer and repossessions. His was well maintained, the owner evidently fell on hard times.

It's worth cruising through every now and then.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 09:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematon785 View Post
I live in Utah for the ski season, and recently a friend mentioned KSL.com, It turns out the city of Salt Lake and outlying areas have never warmed up to outside second hand websites and EVERYONE uses this site KSL, so finding used ski gear, room rentals, etc is impossible unless you use this site.

This hobbled me on my first season because I could not find anything in the usual way, on craigslist.

Now I wonder if I may be missing a big chunk of used inventory in my search for the well maintained older boat I am looking for.

I use yachtworld, Craigslist, Cruiser Forum classifieds, and sailboat listings. I also walk the docks and keep an eye out in Marina Del Ray and Ventura/Oxnard. I have not yet begun posting at marina bulletin boards, that is likely a step I will take in the later stages.

Am I missing something big? (I am West Coast bound, so any additional sources should be related to that location) Thanks!
My business partner and I are located on the Great Lakes (Marblehead, OH on Lake Erie). We buy older boats (mostly sail) in various stages of disrepair or neglect, refurbish and resell them. Most range in size from 27 to 35 foot and all are ready to sail away when we finish them. You can also have them transported professionally or make your own arrangements to haul yourself but we do not provide any more than information in that regard. Because we and our wives are trying to stay out of the "professional" sense of doing business, we sell no more than 6 each per annum (same as cars). Also, in order to keep our prices lower, we do not include surveys so should you choose to have one done, it would be your price and choice. That being said, we welcome you to make those arrangements should you wish to do so. Presently, I do not have any boats listed (winter is not a good time to list, show or sail) but when Spring arrives (just around the corner), I use Craig's list locally, Sailboat.com, Boattrader.com, and eBay as sales avenues (some other venues you might consider). If we can be of service to you, you can contact me in reply and I can relate more specifics. Regardless of your choices, good luck with your search. It is a great choice. I and my wife are full time boaters and will be doing America's Great Loop for the next couple of years (and yes, I will remain connected to our business returning "home" as needed - I am in daily contact with my partner anyway).
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 09:23   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

In my area, Lake Ontario, Canadian side, Kijiji is where you will find most of the boat selling activity.

Buy or Sell Used or New Sailboat in Ontario | Boats for Sale | Kijiji Classifieds
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 10:17   #9

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Don't forget eBay - you may find a diamond in the rough.

My limited personal experience is that the sellers are less educated on boats in general, often selling something they don't have direct knowledge about (inheritance, etc), but others' experience may differ.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 10:27   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Popyachts did well by me. Big outfit with lots of boats for sale, including sailboats. Might be worth a look.
varkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 10:42   #11

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Yes , not only that what kind of money are you looking to spend ? I know of some marinas in Wilmington where they will give you a boat but you have to sing a lease to keep it there .
I am in touch with the Wilmington marinas weekly, (Neumarks, Anchorage,Windward, Nelson Beaumont, etc.) and called four of them after your post. None of them were familiar with "giving away" a boat for trading a signed lease agreement. In fact , they said any boats they give away must be removed from their marinas. What marina's do you know of in Wilmington that trade a free boat for a signed berth lease?
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 14:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkpilot View Post
Popyachts did well by me. Big outfit with lots of boats for sale, including sailboats. Might be worth a look.

Good listings but are very over priced, but can negotiate and the west coast agent, he is really nice guy.
(No purchase experience)
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 15:57   #13

Boat: Freedom 32'

boat.com
Depending on your budget. Boats on the East Coast are much cheaper and you sail to Cali.
Old 13-02-2017, 16:04   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
My limited personal experience is that the sellers are less educated on boats in general, often selling something they don't have direct knowledge about (inheritance, etc), but others' experience may differ.
I've seen this too, but wouldn't say its the norm. Often a boat is for sale due to misadventure, misfortune, illness, or even death. Looking at sailboats for sale can often be a sad affair, meeting widows and grieving families.

Sometimes they know nothing about the boat, and are looking for any offer just to be done with the continued costs of ownership, insurance, and maintenance. Other times, they only remember the price of the boat when it was brand new, and don't see the age, depreciation, wear, and neglect the boat may have.

I bought a boat like that. The boat sat at on the hard at POH for several years, unused. The orange and black for sale sign faded by the sun till the phone number was hardly legible. I left myself on an answering machine, along with a low ball offer...based on not knowing if there was a running engine, sails, cushions, or any other gear aboard. 3 weeks later I get a call...the marina fees are due again...they accept my offer. No additional info, no counter offer, just "meet me at the boat on sunday". I met the son of the owner. He told me about how his father loved to sail, and when he died suddenly of a heart attack, the family did not know what to do with the boat, and no one was really "in charge" of it, so it just sat, and his mother kept up the marina payments as the bills continued to arrive. He told me about sailing with his dad when he was younger, and he looked sad. He had a trunk full of gear, sails, and an outboard engine...boat stuff. I had brought extra cash with me, in case they wanted to reopen discussion about the price, but he did not. I handed him an envelope of money, and he just tossed it on the seat of his car and drove away.

I spent a day putting the boat back together. It turned out to be complete, and rather excellent. There was an autohelm in the box of stuff, along with flares and life jackets and winch handles and charts and everything you might want to go with the boat. I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, and it came up shiny like new. When cleaning deep in the quarter berth, behind a loose panel, I found 2 interesting things. The first was a pair of pants. Dead man's pants. Creepy. The other was the owners secret logbook. It was full of all his thoughts of his last few years, sailing alone, having heart spasms and afraid to tell anyone, lest he not be allowed to sail anymore. He wrote of always setting the autohelm, just in case. I stopped reading when I realized what I had. It was too personal. Not for me. I wrapped the logbook in the carefully folded pants, and returned them to the son as soon as I could. Its a great boat, I told him. Here's "a few personal items I found aboard". I could see him turning the pages as I walked away.

That was many years and many boats ago, but I think of it from time to time, especially when cleaning in deep storage lockers. And even more lately, since I mostly sail alone now too...and especially when I stow my pants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T22.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	141180  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 18:39   #15

Boat: Ranger 33'

yeh, what goes around, comes around, nice play on your part!
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, yacht