Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 04:38   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Been looking at some small catamarans

Had a good look around a few catamarans yesterday. Particularly the Prout Quest 31, twins 27, and the Snowgoose 35.

Usage will be around the Med for a season and the across to the Caribbean. It'll be used as a live aboard and mostly sailed singlehandedly.

At this point I'm mainly gauging for size, features, and cockpit layout. I have a preference for diesel engine(s) as I don't like the thought of having to store petrol, though the broker tells me modern outboards are just as good.

Firstly the Twins. I really liked the excellent use of space here. It is small. Perhaps too small? But the cabins were spacious and the cockpit didn't feel cramped.

It seemed easily manageable, being able to do everything from the cockpit. Its small size is a bonus in terms of reduced costs too.

The Quest was as expected. A little more open I'm the saloon than the Twins and with some actual deck space for sunbathing. The cabins weren't as generous more like on a mono, and the main sail area actually seems smaller than the Twins.

Compared to the other two the Snowgoose felt huge. A much better saloon layout with proper chart table. Loads of deck space and good double berths. It was actually a little larger than I would like and appeared less manageable.

All had plenty of space for provisions but the snowgoose had space for any other junk you want to take aboard.

I'm limited by a budget of around £35000 with a further £10-15k over time for sorting It out.

Any thoughts?
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:08   #2
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: Been looking at some small catamarans

I have just sold out HT27 so have experience with them. They are very seaworthy and they have circumnavigated and crossed the Atlantic quite a few times.
My choice however would be the Snowgoose if I was going to the caribbean because of the extra size. This will be less tiring to sail and the size is safer. Get a very good / big anchor and you can keep mooring costs down.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
I have just sold out HT27 so have experience with them. They are very seaworthy and they have circumnavigated and crossed the Atlantic quite a few times.
My choice however would be the Snowgoose if I was going to the caribbean because of the extra size. This will be less tiring to sail and the size is safer. Get a very good / big anchor and you can keep mooring costs down.
Did you sell yours via multihull world? I think they sold a HT27 recently. The thing I liked about it was that it looked easy to handle due to it's size and small main. The boom looked no longer than that of a laser dinghy (that I'm well versed in capsizing).

Yes, a Snowgoose is probably more suitable for what I want. In the end though it will probably come down to what is the most complete boat I can get for the money, as I imagine only having 6-8 months to work on it on kit it out.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:24   #4
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Hi Mike,

Yes it was Multihull world. She is still there ashore so you may have seen her .
They are easy to handle due to the smallish sail size but this also makes them very safe and difficult to blow over!
If you are happy with the size they won't let you down.
Once again I would go for a big modern anchor and an electric windlass which makes anchoring on your own much less stressful. An all over cockpit tent is good if you are staying put for a while. Good luck with your search.
Steve
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:28   #5

Boat: Outremer 42

Considered an Eclipse? I don't know your price range but they have a good reputation.
pre owned catamaran occasion for sale
I have no connection in any way.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:41   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Had a good look around a few catamarans yesterday. Particularly the Prout Quest 31, twins 27, and the Snowgoose 35.

Usage will be around the Med for a season and the across to the Caribbean. It'll be used as a live aboard and mostly sailed singlehandedly.

At this point I'm mainly gauging for size, features, and cockpit layout. I have a preference for diesel engine(s) as I don't like the thought of having to store petrol, though the broker tells me modern outboards are just as good.

Firstly the Twins. I really liked the excellent use of space here. It is small. Perhaps too small? But the cabins were spacious and the cockpit didn't feel cramped.

It seemed easily manageable, being able to do everything from the cockpit. Its small size is a bonus in terms of reduced costs too.

The Quest was as expected. A little more open I'm the saloon than the Twins and with some actual deck space for sunbathing. The cabins weren't as generous more like on a mono, and the main sail area actually seems smaller than the Twins.

Compared to the other two the Snowgoose felt huge. A much better saloon layout with proper chart table. Loads of deck space and good double berths. It was actually a little larger than I would like and appeared less manageable.

All had plenty of space for provisions but the snowgoose had space for any other junk you want to take aboard.

I'm limited by a budget of around £35000 with a further £10-15k over time for sorting It out.

Any thoughts?
Don't forget to look at Catalacs 9 and 10m, you will be even more surprised with the space. They boast two diesel engines accessible from cockpit, you don't skeep on top of them, no diesel smell inside!
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:05   #7

I've been purposely avoiding Catalacs so far. I accept that I might need to change that as time goes on, but their looks, and performance (from what I'm told) don't appeal to me.

Woods boats again don't appeal. Most are home built and the owners don't bother kitting them out with electrics and so for cruising. Most have outboards. The Eclipse seems to be priced around £60k when they come up, for that I can get a Maldeves 32 (save for the outboards).

I hear the Commanche 32 is a decent boat, but again I'd be dealing with an outboard.

Perhaps I should start a thread on outboards vs diesel for long term cruising (storing fuel, price of fuel, efficiency, performance in choppy seas, charging, maintenance etc..)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:26   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Have you looked at this website:
Prout Snowgoose 35 for sale by owner
This particular Snowgoose is asking just under £40k - If it matches your requirements try an offer? Its located in Spain. There are other choices on this particular site.
I would go with the Snowgoose simply for size but agree the HT (and many others) are good, robust, little cats.

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Been looking at some small catamarans

I'd not fret to much about petrol storage in the Twins as it is stored in cockpit lockers so nothing below decks.. also easier for maintaining and cheap to swop out if it blows.
The Catalac's can match the Twins performance wise.. plus with 2 diesels you have built in redundancy should one die on you.. generally only use one at a time anyway as doubling the fuel use for just an extra possible knot is not worth it.. but then that goes for all cats..
If you want a cat that sails look at the late versions of the Iroquois Mk2's.. very seaworthy but like most Brit cats (bar Wharrams ) of that era they'll slam a bit to windward.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:54   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Perhaps I should start a thread on outboards vs diesel for long term cruising (storing fuel, price of fuel, efficiency, performance in choppy seas, charging, maintenance etc..)
Please, not another thread on that topic And on the fuel question. Will you have an engine for your dinghy, or a portable generator? And for stove fuel, is propane the order of the day? I hope it's apparent where this is going.

Besides, for a small cat an outboard (or two) is almost ideal. As you save hugely on both weight & expense. Which is particularly important as small cats don't have a lot of load carrying ability to begin with. So several hundred pounds per engine is a good fraction of that. Then there's the ability to take your engine to the mechanic. Or to a workshop on land for any major servicing. While working on diesels in cramped confines (if it's even possible) sucks.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:07   #11

Boat: Scout 30

You might be able to find a Fisher 28 or 32 cat. Neat boats.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:59   #12

Boat: solaris 42 1978

try looking at the solaris 42 talk about room ,, i have one in panama 1978 ,, might part with it for mid 40s us money ,, stayed on a catalac for a while and i have been on older mono hulls had more room ,, but to each his own , i almost bought a prout like it but did not like the single motor and scared to death of a volvo outdrive .. mine has 50 hp yanmars in great shape
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 14:31   #13

Boat: Prout 34

Hi-singlehanding a Snowgoose is easily done. Very safe boat, easy to walk around on and doesn't wear you out. I've singlehanded three other boats, monohulls, the Snowgoose is your best friend for this.
hurricanehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 14:56   #14

Boat: Catfisher sloop w/ Mercedes & Catfisher 28' w/ Kubota

I have both a Fisher 28' catamaran and a Privilege 39. I use the Fisher in Michigan as most marinas can handle the 13'1" beam. We keep the Privilege in Florida which has a 21' beam. As we are getting older we are going to sell the Privilege this winter. You will like any of the catamarans mentioned. Good luck!
Huey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 16:42   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We owned a Catfisher 32. Well built boat with a livable interior but not a great sailer and the motion was awful.
The outboard/diesel debate has been going on forever. Pick your poison and take your chances. We personally prefer outboards over diesels for numerous reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran