Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 13:38   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Stainless Steel Cleaner

Ran a search, but can't seem to find any suggestions or recommendations on what to use and/or how to clean rust from SS.
Can you help?
Thanks
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 13:59   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Stainless Steel Cleaner

Don't know where you are but Nevr-Dull worked for me on bright stainless with some rust spots. WICHARD also makes Wichinox which is a mild acid based cleaner/polish. Lemon juice is an acid that can be tried.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 14:03   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Practical sailor lists "Magic Cloth" as their #1 rust remover. I have several but haven't had a chance to try it. The former owner of our boat used oxycolic acid. I have no idea how exactly but I'm sure Google can help.
Old 05-12-2016, 14:09   #4

Boat: Ontario32

American Product Nev R Dull found in auto departments even in Canada. It is a wadding cloth. Works very well for the money spent. Polishes up SS very well. First used it on chrome bumpers on a 1954 Ford.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 14:11   #5

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Bar Keepers Friend...(next to Ajax & Comet at grocery) is excellent for some things.

Cleaning Detail, a Mary-Kate product. I use this on stancions etc. also good for stains/rust on gelcoat.

Both have oxalic acid...

Good Luck!
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 14:31   #6

Thanks everyone, for your replies!
Old 05-12-2016, 14:36   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Oxalic acid crystals, mixed with water, is what we use. In the US, used to use Zud, a scouring powder that has oxalic in it. Also, there is a product called "Grunt", which is a gel. It will take rust stains out of fabric, but needs to be neutralized with a little baking soda plus water, then rinsed to protect the fabric.

The Wichinox is expensive and they don't want you to use it when it is sunny, and mainly I am inclined to do such projects when it is sunny. However, it works pretty well on electro-polished s/s.

A.
Old 05-12-2016, 18:20   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I use any car grade cleaner. Then I wipe with turps and last I polish with a rag.

Some cleaners have grit. Avoid. Use the chemical stuff.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 19:13   #9

Boat: S&S Catalina 38

I have had good luck with Flitz, bought a tube at the boat show last year, a little goes a long way. I have used it on stainless and aluminum with great results.
tsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 20:56   #10

Thank you.
Old 05-12-2016, 21:48   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Most of the name brand have been mentioned. And it would help to know what exactly you're trying to clean off of the metal, where, & why. But it's not rocket science. I've even simply mixed powdered abrasives into a paste, & polished most things you can name with them. Just hose them off when you're done. Or if you need a more serious cleaning, get an attachment for one of your power tools. Like a wire wheel in the chuck of a drill. And for serious applications, hire a sand blaster.

Edit: One other option that I've used, is to wet sand the metal using sandpaper designed for same. Although I usually tend to use something non-corrosive instead of water when wet sanding. To even includie olive oil. Followed by a soap & water washing. And I've even used 600 - 1200 grit, or Scotchbrite pads on stainless roller bearings, in a sink full of hot water & dish soap. Scrubbing just enough to get the superfluous oxide layer, & grit off of them so that they rolled freely again. And so long as you're not working on (heat sensitive) composites, try tossing things into the dishwasher. Within reason of course.

PS: You can wet sand with normal sandpaper, it just wears out faster. Though if you're wet sanding epoxy into metal there are some do's & don'ts involved, in order to get the best results.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 22:53   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Www.miraclecloth.com. Not magic cloth. And it REALLY works. Practical Sailor tests prove it. Quicker by far than anything else.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 23:53   #13
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Phosphoric acid, the active ingredient in coca-cola that eats your teeth. look for Ospho or similar. Also Citric acid works and actually can passivate the stainless to keep the rust off. But is a little rust or a lot of rust? If it is something that can be polished then a Flitz or anything that says it will polish stainless or just some polishing rouge and a felt wheel in your drill. If it is a lot of rust though go for the phosphoric acid it works fast.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:16   #14

The product to use depends on the part and the extent of the rust. I use various products.

Ospho
Bar Keepers Friend
Cleaning Detail
Soft Scrub
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:13   #15

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Miracle Polishing And Cleaning Cloth . The original Miracle Cloth which has proven to out clean and polish any other product.. Not magic cloth. And it REALLY works. Practical Sailor tests prove it. Quicker by far than anything else.
You are correct! Thanks!

Tags
steel