Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 16:49   #1

Boat: Tayana 42
Surveyor and Craftsmen in West Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area

I have just bought a 1988 Tayana 42 located on the hard at Murrelle Marina in West Palm Beach. Hull number is: TYA42144K788. I don't know if it is a T42, a Vancouver 42 or exactly which model it is. Since I've already purchased the boat, I will need a surveyor to do a "basic" survey for insurance and for confirming certain things about the boat. I also will be needing a complete set of sails as well as a new Dodger and Bimini including the frames. Depending on cost I would probably like to have a full enclosure.

We will be removing the teak deck (probably putting down Kiwi Grip) starting the first week in January and any advise would be appreciated.
mbiv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:07   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Surveyor and Craftsmen in West Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area

Suenos Azule, John Banister, is probably the best surveyor in the area!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mbiv.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

The best guy in south Florida is Mark Slakoff
Marine Surveyors and Consultants - Marc Slakoff & Associates, Inc.
I have used him both in my former professional capacity for client purchases and on all my personal boats. I even flew him up to Rhode Island when I bought my 51' Bertram, he is that good. But you do not want to see him coming down the dock if you are selling your boat. I have seen him blow up a lot of sales. His uncle was called " the deal breaker " by the brokerage community when he was around. I once had him survey a new yacht prior to closing and he found 10 pages of design and manufacturing defects that needed attention. On a NEW BOAT. If you want the truth give him a call, otherwise anyone will do.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:39   #5

Boat: Downeaster 38

Congratulations on buying Capable! I've been watching the boat sit there for years waiting for her owner to get her back in the water.
I've been in Murrelle for over a decade (I'm the DE 38 ketch out towards the end of the North dock) and I can tell you that Mike the canvas man is very good but you have to stay on him as he has taken on way too much work. He can also do the frames as he just finished a bimini in 1"stainless for me.
I use Mack sails in Stuart and have for years. They do my sails and rigging and are good and very reasonable.
Jeff the welder is also very good but you need stay on him as well.
The White brothers right there in the yard are the best boat carpenters I've seen and they've done a lot of teak interiors in the yard as well as complete boat rebuilds over the years. And you don't have to stay on them, they're never not in the yard.
TC Marine is capable of almost any engineering you could need doing and is a wealth of knowledge as well as the owner of the crane truck.
Bill is the electrician but I've never used him and JR can do your fiberglass work and Awlgrip if you need.
It's a great yard to work in. Welcome to the community!
Rick
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, survey, surveyor