Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2017, 13:09   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Care and maintenance of a new head?

I just took apart and replaced most of the innards on my Raritan PHII, installed back in 2010. It replaced a head of unknown origin and date. Since then, it has given us years of good service. The storage tank began leaking about a month ago(stupid stainless steel tank) so we had a good bit of small and large holes that needed welding and some good JB Weld to solve the problem. We've put untold amounts of vinegar to keep the growth of calcium to a minimum.
During the month layup, upon rebuilding the head, we found that it was darn near impossible to get even water out of the tank. We'd replaced all the innards on the head but not the hose from the head to the tank(insert "stupid" here). We headed for the chandlery and got new hose and all is well now
We thought using vinegar regularly(every few day) would take care of the ledgendary buildup heads get but obviously not. Any one out there have suggestions as to any new products that have come on the market recently that might do a better job? Been out of the states for years and wonder what's new and does a better job.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 13:57   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)
Re: Care and maintenance of a new head?

I’m assuming you’re operating in sea water and the buildup is in fact not purely calcium but mostly salt with some human waste and yes, a tiny bit of calcium from sea critters. Much depends on the waters you sail in.

I know of only one radical solution which I finally ended up applying myself some months ago and I’m happy to no longer see any buildup. I ought to have done this years ago.

Flush with fresh water.

I know not everybody has enough fresh water available but if you do then this is radically efficient and it is very inexpensive and simple to adapt the plumbing. I’m talking between $10 and $35, depending on how fancy you want to be. (And of course do it in a way that allows you to fall back on sea water.)
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 15:38   #3

I changed over my forward head to fresh years ago and all is fine there but I got a bunch of flack from posters about what a BAD idea it was as I was laying myself open to all kinds of chances of getting impurities in my water. So far, about 9 years later, no problems. Not an easy thing to do in the stern head unfortunately but thanks for the idea.
Old 21-10-2017, 16:03   #4

Just T your sink drain into the head inlet and seacock.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 16:28   #5

Boat: Westsail 28

Keep a of gallon jug of fresh water in the aft head . Close off the raw water sea cock and just pour in some fresh when you flush . My friend with a 95' 32' Catalina does that and his boat smells fine . Also once a month we pour in a cap of veg. oil , keeps things lubed up . We have had the same Raritan PHll since about 95' .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:34   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Have just rebuilt identical toilet. Found out years ago that fresh water is the only way to rid head of smell and keep hoses clean but is easier said than done on a sailboat where water is scarce. In the PNW we have lots of free water which makes it easier. I have thought of converting one of my three 50 gallon water tanks to servicing head but like to take long hot showers so may not. I turn my shower to hot and use that to flush out the toilet occasionally. In fact being on the hard that is how I use it now.
Going on a tangent. What is the best lubricant to use on the pump shaft?
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:35   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Also know folks who replace their hoses annually.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 16:05   #8

When I had problems with my Jabsco, they recommended "Super Lube"synthetic grease. Laid in a small tube and keep it in the head. Cover the shaft only on the Raritan but dismantle the Jabsco so I can get at the seals on the plunger. Raritan is very difficult to get any where near the plunger without dismantling most of the unit and mine is such a tight fit, it's really a pain to get it out. So far after about nine years, I've never had to lube that center plunger and rarely the shaft. I'll take a Raritan over. Jabsco any time.
Old 22-10-2017, 18:27   #9

Yeh, there's a reason the Raritan is twice the price of a jabsco :-)
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, maintenance