Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2019, 16:27   #1

Boat: Freedom 35
Clearwater to Canaveral

Currently looking for one or two individuals to assist me in relocating my Freedom 35 from Clearwater to Canaveral, via Marathon. Planning on sailing just offshore. Date is flexible, but would like to leave at the end of September, weather permitting. This is a very well equipped vessel with AIS, EPIRB, Radar, etc. Excellent chance to get some local sailing experience. All provisioning will be at my expense, just get yourself to the boat. Any questions, feel free to ask.
Gr8tewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 17:25   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Clearwater to Canaveral

While I am not really interested in being crew I do have experience in the area. I agree about sailing off shore instead of the ICW on the West Coast. Truth be told you can be a couple of miles off shore and have no issue anchoring in fairly shallow water. Once you get South of Cape Romano Shoals I would stick well off shore to reduce the insect problem. Same thing once you get through Moser Channel plenty of places to anchor up to Biscayne Bay. Problem on the East Coast is when the weather get bad enough that you want to duck in the inlets/cuts can get quite sporty and often you will be at max RPM if you are going against the tide. Need to be careful about planning just where to duck in and out. As much as I dislike motoring I would consider a lot of the East Coast in the ICW. Hurricane season can cause problems in October which is another consideration. I usually head towards Marathon no earlier than Oct. 15; or even later.

Best of luck.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 08:35   #3

Hello!

I would be very interested in making the voyage with you. I've been sailing for 25+ years and have owned a dozen smaller sailboats under 26'. I would really love to gain more experience. I live in Ormond Beach and can make the trip with about a 1 week notice. Fit and healthy, always ready to help out, responsible and alert. I am 62 and an US Air Force Vet, still work full-time, hoping to retire in a few years and live on a sailboat. Full disclosure...I do smoke but always downwind and safely. I have been looking for an opportunity like this! How long do you estimate for the trip?

Thank you

Richard Taylor
(386) 868-7641
richtay57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 17:46   #4

Hello Richard. Thank you for the reply. I am planning on Leaving in the next 10-14 days. I anticipate the trip taking 4-7 days, depending if we sail through the evening or not. I know you mentioned you work full time, so let me know if any of that works for you. Thanks again ~Ralph Webb
Old 21-09-2019, 09:00   #5

Hi Ralph:

I have ample vacation time which I would try to couple with my days off. I understand that we would want to pull the trigger when there is a favorable weather window. With that in mind I could commit now to Oct 1 -Oct 9 but we could adjust as needed with a few days notice to my employer. Taking your lead, I would be an able crew member and would help out however I am needed. Would enjoy helping to plan and execute the provisioning! I lived in Clearwater/Largo/Safety Harbor for years and have sailed those waters as well as Sarasota. I am extremely excited about this journey!

Richard
Old 21-09-2019, 19:39   #6

Sounds good, Richard. The weather services available here in the Florida area are pretty thorough,. Additionally, I subscribe to a professional weather routing service. October 1st should work out fine, however, I’ll start keeping an eye on it starting next week. I should know more then. Thank you ~Ralph
Old 22-09-2019, 07:26   #7

Sounds great Ralph. You may call or text to my phone (386) 868-7641 or my email is rtaylor@hudsonsfurniture.com then we don't have to post our conversation.....any pics of your boat would be welcome! Talk soon.

Richard
Old 22-09-2019, 17:17   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

That will be a great trip, good luck folks. I did tarpon springs to Canaveral last December with my Gulfstar 45, with a 55’ mast. Went through channel 5 instead of marathon to cut the trip shorter. You may want to consider that.
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 03:12   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to lobsterninja

Born in Clearwater and have sailed to Ft Jefferson. Interested.......pedasirob@gmail.com or facebook rob johnston
lobsterninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 13:58   #10

Thank you for the info!
Old 28-09-2019, 14:05   #11

Boat: Hans Christian, 38 MKII

I am near port canaveral, and could use some extra time if someone falls short let me know. 321-529-4828
steven
porsche189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 14:18   #12

Thank you, Steven. Will do!
Old 01-10-2019, 19:37   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to lobsterninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tewhite View Post
Currently looking for one or two individuals to assist me in relocating my Freedom 35 from Clearwater to Canaveral, via Marathon. Planning on sailing just offshore. Date is flexible, but would like to leave at the end of September, weather permitting. This is a very well equipped vessel with AIS, EPIRB, Radar, etc. Excellent chance to get some local sailing experience. All provisioning will be at my expense, just get yourself to the boat. Any questions, feel free to ask.

did you leave yet?
lobsterninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:27   #14

No sir.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:44   #15

..you fill your "crew order" yet?
talks2horses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags