Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 22:57   #1

Beneteau First 32

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post! I am looking at buying a Beneteau First 32 for cruising the Med out of Spain. Has anyone any experience of this boat? I have cruised on a few other Beneteau yachts over the years, but never this one. Any good/bad points would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
akingsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 08:40   #2

Re: Beneteau First 32

I have owned a First 32 1984 from new. I sail on fresh water so life is a little easier than salt water. Mostly the boat has held up well, nothing has broken but weak points are the iron keel which tends to rust and need thorough recovering from time to time (twice in 30 years). The rudder holds water and needs attention and the propeller strut is very weak and needs reinforcing.

Boat has had very little osmosis and the deck is strong except around the anchor locker.

The interior liners outside of the main cabin deteriorate and I have simply painted white rather than trying to replace material.

One of the great things about the boat is that it is simple - no fancy electronics or steering systems. Reliable and relatively inexpensive to maintain.

Bon chance
yourgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 09:01   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Beneteau First 32

We chartered one in the Virgins in the 80's. It was a tiller boat with a deep fin. It was one of the best boats I've sailed in 30 years both offshore and coastal. It was a bit tender for the 15-25k winds so we tucked in a double reef and adjusted the headsail daily for conditions and sailed happily for two weeks. It is fast, tracks wells, responsive to the helm and was a joy downwind(surfing) with a good sea running. This is a sailor's boat--someone who loves to sail. The only reason I wouldn't consider it for a personal boat was the iron keel. However, if it has been maintained meticulously, it might not be a problem. Good luck and good sailing.

Tags
beneteau