Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2017, 20:16   #1

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Navionics sticker shock

I purchased Navionics for my IPad a year ago for about $10. I renewed about a month ago for another $10 or so. Now however is someone wants to purchase the app, it's $50!

Another app that I believe is equal to Navionics is Skipper which I have loaded in my IPad. Try getting Skipper today and good luck. It's gone! We tried downloading apps and what a pain. For example, inavx (I think) app and it needs the purchaser to download each chart to the app. What a BPITA
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 15:28   #2

Re: Navionics sticker shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
If the Navionics app is $50 then you are looking at the HD (high definition) one which is for the iPad. Since you originally purchased it Navionics has created a version for iPhone (Navionics Boating) and one for iPad (Navionics Boating HD). The non-HD version will work on your iPad too but in my experience it's totally worth the extra money for the iPad version. More detail, app screen fits the iPad screen, etc.

The only Navigation USA available on my IPad is $50. My comment has nothing to do with worth, only an almost 500% price increase
Old 22-08-2017, 17:25   #3

My last post seemed harsh. Navionics, although getting more expensive is still a great deal. So even at the higher cost, I for one (whatever value my opinion has) give it a high purchase recommendation
Old 22-08-2017, 17:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
If the Navionics app is $50 then you are looking at the HD (high definition) one which is for the iPad. Since you originally purchased it Navionics has created a version for iPhone (Navionics Boating) and one for iPad (Navionics Boating HD). The non-HD version will work on your iPad too but in my experience it's totally worth the extra money for the iPad version. More detail, app screen fits the iPad screen, etc.
Product Differentation is no doubt an important part of Navionics strategy for making more money. It is generally based on these principles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_differentiation

In economics and marketing, product differentiation (or simply differentiation) is the process of distinguishing a product or service from others, to make it more attractive to a particular target market. This involves differentiating it from competitors' products as well as a firm's own products. The concept was proposed by Edward Chamberlin in his 1933 The Theory of Monopolistic Competition.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics