Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2024, 18:11   #1

Beneteau 473 opinions

Hi all hoping to get opinions from current owners of the Beneteau 473. Thinking of stepping up from a 343. Use will be in New England mostly RI and MA with occasional trip north for now. We are a couple and like the two cabin version. I bought my 343 new and have no complaints she has held up well and been a good choice, but as we get older it’s time to step up for all the typical reasons. Any feedback positive or negative would be appreciated.
windward34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 18:26   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Re: Beneteau 473 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by windward34 View Post
step up for all the typical reasons.
What are those reasons?
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 18:43   #3

The 343 is a great boat but we have out grown her. Stepping up into bigger accommodations, more creature comforts AC/heat, generator, two heads, bigger cockpit, larger living space in saloon, and full size master vs v berth. We spend most of the summer on boat and storage is issue, the v berth becomes a closet we are not good at minimizing our clothing. Looking for a bit more speed under sail and power will allow us to extend trips and do more. Big picture it’s the right time in our live to step up. Was considering trawler but we like a sailboat, maybe trawler 5-10 years from now.
Old 31-01-2024, 18:40   #4

HI windward34

we have a 473 2004 model. Its been great. It replaced a Jeanneau 52.2

The 473 is a terrific boat, quick and good in light airs. We sailed from France to Aust and it was excellent (did the same on the jeanneau so there is some comparison to be made)

I wont mention a lot the good as you prob mainly want the concerns etc...

We sail two up only, even on ocean passages.

The ride is more physical thank the jeanneau as its quite a light boat for 47ft, that has its advantages though - light airs!
Fuel tankage is a bit small (250lt)
water tankage is ok (get a watermaker)
Cockpit table is too small! - we made a bigger one and its excellent.
The rudder has a hum at over 10knts (spoke to others with the same issue - so its an inbuilt feature on lots apparently! )
Engine power is excellent - we can motor at 9knts in flat water - drinks a lot when you do that! Otherwise motor sailing @ 6knos - just to keep you going in super light airs we would burn 3lt per hr! super low (we have a max prop that we over pitched)

Not an awesome amount of storage under the floor as its pretty shallow.

We have no creaking, no apparent flex - all the doors and floor boards are as they are when sailing or sitting in a marina. Feels a tight boat.

Overall Its a great boat, easy to sail, quick, easy to park, the AP has zero issues driving it in horrid seas so steering control is pretty good.

Cockpit layout is good and good storage in the cockpit lockers.
Doesn't seem to slam much upwind - far less than you would think.

I think the two cabin 473 would be excellent as it gives a much larger galley and storage area - nice option!.

Top speed we saw just over 16knts SOW
Atlantic crossing average 174nm per 24hrs
Pacific 172nm per 24hrs

So pretty efficient sailing.

We will be "stepping up" for all the typical reasons as well

Happy sailing
jmreverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 20:10   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1

Dear Windward,
Sorry that I have no experience of the 473, and maybe she would be perfect for your budget. But if you can stretch it, I might recommend the Oceanis 40.1, which though a few feet shorter I suspect is twice the boat. Ours has ample accommodations below decks, a similarly ample cockpit but one with a table that disguises itself as a life raft locker, and now that we replaced the rig with a Schaefer furling main, has become a stable and easily single-handed racer. Marc Lombard, I feel, nailed it with this one.
Best,
BH
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 11:57   #6

Boat: Beneteau 473 14m/47ft

Hi, we have a 3 cabin 473 and sail 2 handed most the time, just wondering how you are getting on with your purchase.
We find that the more storage space you have, the more you fill it up and each time I have upsized - we soon find everything is full up. Some hatch clearing out needed once a year!!!
We downscaled our roller headsail s couple of years ago from the standard 140% to a 110% bi- radial which is great in 12+ knots but dies in less, benefits are it’s much easier to tack, and you can see what’s ahead without moving too much. I have just hit 70 so that decision was the right one for us.
Chas Leppich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 20:23   #7

Thanks all for the feedback. BH I do like the 40.1 but to your point the 473 is more in line with budget and we do like the 473 design very similar to our 343 inside and out. Of course much bigger. Chas we are still in early stages of our search, if we decide to make the jump will need to sell ours first don’t want to be two boat owner. We do like the 2 cabin version it’s just two of us and we never have guests. I agree with storage if there is open space we fill it and then some. Good to hear 2 can handle without much trouble, most times I am single handling lines except for docking. Please keep feedback or questions coming the more information the better.

Tags
beneteau