Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 08:58   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: When To Go Gray ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Yes, it's amazing how far modern society has extended childhood and irresponsibility. My grandfather served as ship's wireless officer in WWI at age 12. During the War of 1812, David Farragut commanded a captured ship-of-the-line at age 12. Francis Drake went to sea at age 10.
According to legend Achilles fathered his son at about the age of 12 and went to war not long after. Alexander the Great was only 16 when he successfully commanded his first army into battle. Yes, we do shelter the young nowadays. Not about to enlighten any of them though LOL.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 09:09   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Not about to enlighten any of them though LOL.

Nor would I. The penalties are severe (at least in countries where I would want to live).
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 09:11   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Nor would I. The penalties are severe (at least in countries where I would want to live).
ROFL, I didn't mean personally.
Getting back on topic, I'm obviously not ready to go grey yet if this exchange is anything to go by .

Old 23-12-2012, 09:19   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

well.. I for one still color my hair, even at anchor. But I use professional supplies which come in bulk are easier to store and are much easier on the hair, skin and pocketbook.. What I use to spend in a single month at a salon, now gives me 2 years of hair coloring and trims.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 09:31   #50

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Damn this thread wAs just getting interesting..............

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 09:36   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Damn this thread wAs just getting interesting..............
I was very grateful to Sailorchic. I needed some respite - I was getting a stitch from laughing so hard .

Old 23-12-2012, 10:08   #52

Boat: O'Day 28

I've been using this for anti-fouling. No aluminum. Or tin. (Gotta keep FastBttms off my bottom!) I have grey hair now in a reverse-mohawk style.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 10:11   #53

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Gray can look great - it's just blondier blonde. I'm not a big fan of streaky grey, but yachtees get enough sun to wash that out, right?

Once I tried a "men's hair coloring kit." The smell reminded me of a petroleum cracking plant. The strange feeling imparted by the goo on my head made me think that the chemicals were seeping into my skull. I guess the women get used to the procedure. lol.

Anyway, when I was finished I looked in the mirror. I looked like the bearer of a bad toupee ... or maybe ... like that house, still sitting on the corner, covered in gaudy paint hues ... devoid of color coordination.

Sometimes it's just better to be natural ...
Old 23-12-2012, 10:14   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

natural is good.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 10:20   #55

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

I have never dyed my hair. I'm blond so the white strands just blend in. I think once you start dying your hair, it is really hard to stop because of the roots showing your original color. Just letting it transform naturally doesn't give you that stripe down your part.

I love the way my hair is changing color. Those sparkle-y whites brighten my face (and mood). It's those fine lines that bug me. *sigh* But, upon pondering the entire issue, aging is a part of living and something we should simply accept.

However, since I have never run with the herd, I have let my hair grow very long (knee length). Long and silver is for me...not short and dyed.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 10:20   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I've been using this for anti-fouling. No aluminum. Or tin. (Gotta keep FastBttms off my bottom!)
Blue Crab, you didn't happen to make this commercial did you?
YouTube

Old 23-12-2012, 10:23   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
?.....
Once I tried a "men's hair coloring kit." The smell reminded me of a petroleum cracking plant. The strange feeling imparted by the goo on my head made me think that the chemicals were seeping into my skull.......
Sailor, don't even think about repeating the procedure. Nothing is more off putting to most women than a man with dyed hair! It's that old double standard rearing its head again LOL!

Old 23-12-2012, 10:27   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
?...It's those fine lines that bug me. *sigh* But, upon pondering the entire issue, aging is a part of living and something we should simply accept.
I love the fine lines LOL. They show I have been lucky to have lots of laughter and lots of sunshine and lots of years to enjoy them . It's only the grey I object to .

Old 23-12-2012, 11:04   #59

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
This actually was a topic at a Christmas party I was at last night. I saw a woman I've known for a number of years but don't see regularly. She is around 40 now and showed up with white hair with some discreet blondy streaks. Apparently, she comes from a family where the grey/white comes in during the teen years (think the late actor Peter Graves, who was never not grey haired, even as a young man).

She coloured it brunette for ages and then just said "to hell with it" and let it grow out white. She added a few blonde streaks for contrast.

The effect is quite interesting as she has light blue eyes and a "brunette's complexion". It actually makes her look younger, if a little unearthly.

We, being free-speaking old acquaintances, agreed that hair colour on the head was largely irrelevent, but when the bilges start to match the decks, you must be getting on in years! (She reported no alarming developments below decks).

Hey, I ask these sort of questions in the cause of science!

Let it go. Inform bald hubby it's not his area of expertise anymore.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 11:15   #60

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Well let's face it. None of us are in our twenties anymore. Our faces show the life we have lived. Mine has lines and wrinkles and i have grey hair. Just goes to show i have lived

Many beautiful women show lines and the fact that they have lived and, hopefully loved (and perhaps lost)

The same is true for men. Our faces show we have loved and lost. And perhaps won the second ( or third) time around (same is true for the ladies)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote