Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 19:55   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Surprised Guy Here

I had quite a lesson on women and boats this week. My wife and I are currently on the hard at Herrington Harbor and this has been a major week for getting boats back up on the hard for the winter... thus we have seen a lot more activity in the yard this week on the part of the boat owners.

My wife and I are refitting out boat and we are there pretty much everyday... I cannot believe the fights between couples (screaming matches) and disparaging remarks about women coming from my fellow boaters! Holy cow! I have heard "useless", "incompetent", "lazy"... etc.

For my part.. do I wish my wife had better mechanical skills? Sure, but I wish I did also. I try to remember to explain to her what we need to do and then empower her to make the decision without second guessing her choice of method. I have found it is better to just let her make her own method "mistakes".

I LOVE my wife... she is out sweating and getting fiberglass all over her with the best. I do admit... for important things I do often double check her work but I expect she would do the same for the work I do.

I consider myself very lucky and very relieved when she is able to take time to come and help out at the boat.

Regards to all of you women who take ownership of your vessel!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 20:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Surprised Guy Here

Very well said zboss.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 20:14   #3

As a man and husband I can say that the reaction you've experienced is USUALLY caused when men get in over their head and don't know what THEY are doing.

It's a real shame.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 20:15   #4

Boat: Mac 26X

If I did that my wife wouldn't come aboard. And I like her being aboard! Hell, I do all the cooking and cleaning just to make it really special for her to be aboard. In this last year she has become quite a bit more interested in sailing, wants to be more a part of the work, raced on other peoples boats for the learning, and is with me as crew on another guys boat for the Harvest Moon Regatta. I can assure you that would not have occurred had I treated her badly years ago.
Old 06-10-2013, 20:46   #5

Boat: Oyster 53

Much wisdom here.

Dhillen
Old 06-10-2013, 20:58   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im really lucky, Started out with Connie never having been on any kind of a boat!! To the absolute best First mate a man could have ! She is so much better with the use of electronics then I will ever be!! She can raise and reef, furl,better then a lot of fellas we had sail with us over the years! She navigates, and has a touch with a SSB that I sure don't have! And her baked goods have made us friends all over the Pacific, And she still looks good on the fore deck LOL And best of all she stands her watchs and I can even get a little sleep !! And she still cooks the best fried eggs Ive ever ate! What more can a man ask for ?? Even if she won't use a bucket for a head !!
Old 06-10-2013, 22:00   #7

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Even if she won't use a bucket for a head !!
Bob, after all those years and miles if that's your only complaint you're doing pretty damn good!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 23:04   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'm always amazed that these marriages stay together. All I can figure out is the spouse (male or female) had some form of abuse as a child and is learned behavior on both sides.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 23:22   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

My gal prefers a stable, high-rail-secured motorboat, not a too-close-to-the-water sailboat.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

mine just rebuilt the head pump!
,constructed new shelving in the galley,
can start the 25hp on the rib and drive it at speed......(scary),
amongst other things!

now how do you get the kids trained............?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06   #11

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Before my wife met me, she was on a boat once in her life. For our wedding present we bought a 28 ft Reinel for the Puget Sound and Islands. However, crossing the straights she decided we needed a bigger more stable boat. We were looking at 40 ft boats, the 45 ft Bayliner was her base boat to compare to. One after noon while looking at boats she notice this big old ugly trawler sticking out past the other boats, and decided she wanted to go on it. Well the water gods where not looking favorable on me, because she said very firmly, This is the boat! I was not happy camper as it needed a whole lot of TLC.

We have complete gone through the boat, she made all the curtains, bed quilt and salon upholstering, while helping with the interior refinishing. As it turns out we were working on the boat so much, the marina charged us a live aboard fee, so not realizing it we became a live aboard. Most live a board males do a majority of the daily domestic chores and treat our SO/wife with respect as we tend to realize how blessed we are to have a SO/wife that will put up with the live style.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

lol...none of ye mentions the female without a male on board...lol.... have fun boys.

10 demerits.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lol...none of ye mentions the female without a male on board...lol.... have fun boys.

10 demerits.
Why would we? This thread is about men yelling at women. With no man aboard, who is there to do the yelling?

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:35   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Bob, after all those years and miles if that's your only complaint you're doing pretty damn good!!!
Seriously!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
...the reaction you've experienced is USUALLY caused when men get in over their head and don't know what THEY are doing.
BINGO! Don't know why it is that so many men start yelling and getting aggressive when all they're really trying to do is cover up their own mistakes and lack of knowledge. As a man, it's kind of an embarrassment. I can't understand how they can fail to see that this sort of behavior only makes them look foolish and, frankly, like a petulant child.

Yeah, that's a great way to show everyone how macho you are.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote