Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 13:16   #121

To be treated as the unigue individuals that they are????

Just a guess!!!!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 13:43   #122

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
To be treated as the unigue individuals that they are????

Just a guess!!!!!
Pretty weak effort, buddy. If you're hoping to get any tonight you're going to have to do better than that... a LOT better! (chocolates are good. Expensive ones!)

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 13:48   #123

Boat: Vagabond 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
No man knows what women want. Therefore most of the above posts are just idle speculation.

Mel Gibson did . . .in the movie anyway.
Old 01-12-2010, 14:00   #124

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Gosh is this thread still running?
Havent you guys figured us out yet?
Maybe its cos we keep changing?

What I want today certainly isnt what it was 4 months ago. Right now I would settle for warmer weather and a decent electrician
Old 01-12-2010, 14:26   #125
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Pretty weak effort, buddy. If you're hoping to get any tonight you're going to have to do better than that... a LOT better! (chocolates are good. Expensive ones!)
Nah. it's flowers. definately flowers dunno what's in them or what the ladies do with them when men are not looking - but effect out of all proportion to any other dying plant material gift. like a Turnip.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 14:29   #126

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Some observations.

Not even women know what women want. So we've got no chance.

Our best shot is the fact that they're quick to tell us what they DON'T want, unfortunately usually with hindsight

They don't want to be patronised.... well, they actually do, but it mustn't look patronising. It's ok to both know what is going on, but for heaven's sake dress it up as chivalry so you can both have a bit of fun with it... win/win

The women equivalent of cruising guys... (I was going to say REAL cruising women, but that would be a long drop with a short rope from the yardarm, from all the female partners of cruising couples...) ie. those who are the driving force, solo or couples, seem to always sail monos. I'm sure there are exceptions but I've never seen any.

It seems that the women who prefer multihulls are possibly the ones who sail, motivated by their husbands' dream. At least initially. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Many of them really love the life but would never have got there on a mono.

Personally, I've had and would be happy with either. My partner hasn't sailed much but she's loved the bit we've done together. Even before I showed her the mono vs multi we'd get for the budget, she'd favoured mono.
I'd never have picked the reason in a 100 years.... cats don't feel like real homes, they feel like caravans (you might call them trailers). I raised the questions of level sailing, speed, space etc. She likes the solid feel of a heavy displacement cruiser, with loads of timber (she likes varnishing )
For my sins, which must be many, I love the romance and style of Garden and Perry Formosa/Vagabond, CT54/Valiant, and so does she.
So, we'll get the romance of the sea out of our systems with a leaky teaky most likely, and then eventually, probably when we're old, and when her fingers are raw and she can't stand the foul language floating up from the bilges any longer, with deep concern and a flurry of gallantry, I'll sell the restored beauty and slip a couple of plastic hulls under her and find a way to tell her it's not the equivalent of a retirement village
But I wouldn't dream of suggesting I know what she wants, just try to navigate through the ever changing conditions

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 14:33   #127

Boat: grampian 26
Ogden Nash
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 14:54   #128
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
KNEW there are more heavy displacement liking women than just me....these heavy displacement babies are tough. even easily repairable--everything is right there--no twisting or hanging upside down in a tiny crevice to repair anything...
i dont varnish---but i love interior teak....and exterior teak..but mine is not varnished nor cetol'd.
there are some of us who actually sail these solo.....
heck--all i want right now is to have this one finished for the while and leave this bay for cruising...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:37   #129

Boat: Ganley Shadow 34 -Steel sloop for bluewater cruising.
what I need in a boat is the same as my hubby needs in a boat - only I need much less headroom.

Getting the boat together should be a joint exercise and consulting one another goes without saying.
I made two initial designs - one with a large galley and small heads and one with a large heads and a small galley, only to get the response that he wanted a large heads AND a large galley. So that's what's in the design now. We had to lose some saloon seating but heck, there will be just 2 of us 99% percent of the time.

Consult and share!
The thing I want most is that we are both happy and comfortable and if she's not giving you input, then she's not really thinking about how you will live tigether on the boat.
indiana_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:52   #130
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
what women WANT is a crew position filled by human , not just words.
when ye say you will do the trip, then please do that-- i have already lost one crew from postponements and too many land based obligations-- he should have advised me he was unable to arrive when i invited him to thanksgiving dinner..LOL....tell us the truth-dont lead us on with empty words. is kinda like having a relationship , only with a voyage and a boat and a friend. is spozed to be a partnership--many dont seem to catch that. the ones who do are treasured.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 17:05   #131

Boat: Riviera 35
The truth...

How I wish that were true.

You look beautiful tonight.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 16:05   #132

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I would add if the USCG asks a couple who the Captain is, the Admiral will point him out for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
Only slightly off topic. But I did listen which is why we have the boat we do.

The Rules

1. The Woman always makes the Rules.

2. The Rules are subject to change at any time without

prior notification.

3. No Man can possibly know all the Rules.

4. If the Woman suspects the Man knows all the Rules, she must

immediately change some or all of the Rules.

5. The Woman is never wrong.

6. The Woman can change her mind at any given point in time.

7. The Man must never change his mind without express written

consent from the Woman.

8. The Woman has every right to be angry or upset at any time.

9. The Man must remain calm at all times, unless the Woman

wants him to be angry or upset.

10. The Woman must, under no circumstances, let the Man know

whether or not she wants him to be angry or upset.

11. If the Woman has PMS, all Rules are null and void.

12. The Man cannot diagnose PMS.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 08:34   #133

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20 S&S ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to sailinlee
you forgot the punchline!!! The genie replied, "Do you want that bridge to be a two lane of four lane."
sailinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:49   #134

Boat: William Garden CT 41 Ta Chaio
What do women want?......on a boat? Well, my wife likes....warm sun, light breeze, cooking out and socializing....and for me to be attentative at all times....

What she doesn't want...bad weather, me working on the boat when the weather is nice, me flirting with other half naked women, and to go home. Good Luck!
BSV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:23   #135

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louann View Post
What do women want?......on a boat? Well, my wife likes....warm sun, light breeze, cooking out and socializing....and for me to be attentative at all times....

What she doesn't want...bad weather, me working on the boat when the weather is nice, me flirting with other half naked women, and to go home. Good Luck!
Yeah, LOL. That has a familiar ring to it.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote