Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2007, 18:29   #76

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaverani
Ok,Lori, let me give this quote thing a try. Hope I don't get censored here, after all we're talking about how to manage a normal bodily function.
Well done with the quote! No worries here (I don't think!) We are not breaking any forum rules and if the gentlemen here don;t want to read it, they just move on.....the other place was MUCH different....I didn't break forum rules there, either. They did, however, send an email to my hubby about my 'behavior'. It has taken just about all my self control not to send an email to them, but Rick is still a member ther and I do not wish to cause trouble for him.

Quote:
I have been using a Keeper for about 3 years, and Elf just mentioned the Diva Cup. They are essentially the same thing. Mine happens to be rubber, hers silicone , and now Keepers come in a silicone style as well, known as the Moon Cup.
I'm definitly going to research this some more. Sounds ideal for the boating lifestyle.

Quote:
Another way I will be doing my part is by switching from paper napkins and towels to cloth. As a weaver, I've decided to use this as my next project, with each napkin having it's own design so each napkin user can identify his/her napkin . They can easily be washed and hung to dry, and each person will decide when it's time to change to a clean one (unless my teenage son forgets to notice...).
If anyone is interested in purchasing info, I'd be happy to help.
Sounds like a great idea! I sew and embroider, among other things, but have never done weaving. When our next boat is built I'll have to contact you to outfit the linens. You should put an ad in the classified section of the board.

Quote:
My next challenge: how to train my dog to use some sort of tray while under way! I've seen some wild pictures of a dog perched over a head...!
Rick wants to toilet train the cat!

Lori

Weaverani[/quote]
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 19:13   #77

Thank You

Great experience! Thank you for telling the tale.
OldSarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 02:15   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I don’t want to appear to advocate the irresponsible & costly practice of utilizing disposable paper towels and the like ~ but must caution about the proper use of re-usable kitchen & table “rags”.

The sponge, dishrag, or a fabric napkin may be the dirtiest individual items in most homes (boats), and should be decontaminated after each use. Likewise food preparation surfaces (sinks, counters & cutting boards, et al).

“Standard” household dish soap/detergent is ineffective against bacteria. A mild bleach solution (one ounce per quart of water) can decontaminate a dirty sponge, dishrag, or napkin. Let it soak for a minimum of 1, up to 10 minutes. Another option is to boil the dishcloth or napkin for three minutes.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 05:17   #79

Thank you ladies for the advice on the Keeper... if it had been censored then I would have never known... so my thanks go out to the board administrators too!
Minitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 05:27   #80
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minitee
Thank you ladies for the advice on the Keeper... if it had been censored then I would have never known... so my thanks go out to the board administrators too!
I am an active member of a very busy women's cycling forum, and we "talk" about everything there, so I am very used to discussions of this sort! In fact, that is how I found out about The Keeper! Glad such discussions aren't censored here either. As Weaverani noted, dealing with bodily functions is a part of life on a boat, so as long as no one is posting with an intent to disgust others (like some posts I've seen on hiking forums that do end up getting pulled by moderators since the poster is obviously just trolling), I think freedom of speech should be the rule.

Elf
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 06:09   #81

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
I am an active member of a very busy women's cycling forum, and we "talk" about everything there, so I am very used to discussions of this sort! In fact, that is how I found out about The Keeper! Glad such discussions aren't censored here either. As Weaverani noted, dealing with bodily functions is a part of life on a boat, so as long as no one is posting with an intent to disgust others (like some posts I've seen on hiking forums that do end up getting pulled by moderators since the poster is obviously just trolling), I think freedom of speech should be the rule.

Elf
Hi Elf,

Well I have to admit I was shocked that the post was pulled in the other forum. This was a women's forum...mind you one that some of the male members fought hard against...and even more shocked that they didn't notify me that the post was somehow offensive. I guess those women wanted to talk about painting their nails to match their boats or some other bulls***. Definitely not the place for me!

This forum, on the other hand is much different. There are rules, of course, but so long as we are within the boundaries of those rules, the admim will respect our right to discuss women's cruising issues and this certainly falls into that catagory. It might make some of the gentlemen members of the board uncomfortable, but they do respect our right to discuss it and they certainly are not forced to read anything that we post here.

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 16:25   #82

Boat: O'Day 39, 1984, DROR
I guess I've been very lucky: this is the first forum I've been on, and I guess I asked my question in good company. I appreciate the candor and acceptance.

I just read the rules, and I don't think I'm out of line, let me know, but I wanted to let you ladies know that I am a distributor of The Keeper and Moon Cup, and if you want any information about them, or want to get one,I'd be happy to help.

Weaverani
Weaverani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 12:26   #83
cruiser

seasickness

I have always had a problem with seasicknes the first three days until I discovered several cures. I always had trouble with motion sickness while trying to read on a moving vehicle. In order to try out a sea sickness remedy, without being dependent on my wits, I'd take the remedy, then go for a bus ride of 30 miles or more while reading.
I found the transderm patches worked , after 12 hours , which was far too long if you are using a brief weather window.. Stugerons, available in England and Mexico, took effect after a couple of hours with no side effects.The English ones are about 1/4 the strengthj of the Mexican ones , so take 2 to 4 English ones for the same effect. They are made by Jantzen Pharmaceuticals.
Brent Swain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gini
WORKING ON THE LIST, SEA GYPSY WOMAN!
Sorry about the typos - signed off in a rush.

Regarding seasickness - oh no! We both suffered from it for years, and Skipper was in the RN. The way we got over it was GINGER in every form. An onboard doc once advised not to drink too much liquid (not being facetious!) but to take it on via apples (not oranges) etc. Even so, not even ginger ale or ginger beer caused any upset. Lovely homemade ginger cake, toast with ginger preserve, ginger nuts. Kept up the strength and never was seasick again! Not even in F10s+
Convinced?
Happy sailing!
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 12:42   #84
Armchair Bucketeer

I used to find that a couple of Sturgeon were the perfect "cure" in my fathers MOBO...........used to send me to sleep - after a couple of hours I always woke up in France

Although I have been violently seasick in the past, so therefore know how awful and debilitating it it, I don't tend to suffer from it much anymore (touch wood!).

At the first sign of feeling a bit off I make sure I eat well. In addition I always have snacks available as well as access to hot drinks - whether it is true or not my thinking is that if I can help keep by body in good shape and full of fuel it will make me stronger and less prone to getting sick. Scanning the horizon also works well for me as well as keeping busy / day dreaming. And smoking .

If other crew on board then sleep is for me the best cure, even in the most awkward sea I seem to find a rythmn that sends me to sleep.

But apart from that then (for me) it is then the old adage "The best cure for Seasickness is.........sitting under a tree"
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 22:51   #85

Boat: K Peterson 44
married or single?

Hi....
I'd just like to get some feedback about "couple relationships" on long-term cruises....My "partner" (not husband) and I are retired and in our late 50's......We've known each other for about 40 years -- high school "sweethearts" and re-united about 2 years ago......He's the sailor; I'm up for the adventure....We retired, bought a boat together and are planning sailing down to Mexico --- and then on to the Marquesas and French Polynesia --- with an unlimited time frame.....Although we have a very close, loving relationship, he doesn't want a "commitment". I'm finding that with all the changes (getting rid of all my worldly possessions; a botched surgical procedure; retiring; adapting to a liveaboard life style), I'm starting to feel a bit shaky and maybe even a bit panicky.....For a number of reasons --- including legal rights & social issues --- I'd like the commitment......I'm pretty upbeat, financially independent, and although my sailing skills are limited, I'm an eager learner.......I also love the man and know that the concept that putting a relationship on a "sacred" level is important to me...Any thoughts on how to compromise and make this upcoming adventure a success???
arleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 23:12   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Arleen and welcome to the Cruisers Forum. It definitely is a big step you are making.

It's great that you have been together so long and that you know each other so well. It is perfectly normal to have anxieties.

In regards to the adventure, I might suggest that you independently take some sailing lessons. It will give you confidence knowing what is happening on the boat a bit and I think he would appreciate your enthusiasm.

It sounds like you are going to "cash out" along with him. Being separate entities for a while may actually be helpful. Should it not work out for you - heaven forbid - you do have an exit strategy. You may have your own kids and having the continuing financial independence may be a good thing.

In regards to the boat that you say you bought together, I would advise that you have a partnership in this most expensive asset and I hope you have an agreement on what happens should you separate.

Ok - That's all the serious stuff.

It's really a different world today. I don't know your man but I think that you should discuss your concerns. I don't think there is a social stigma any longer about couples not married spo that's not the issue. I guess there is a commitment problem or failure to launch that bears a deeper look.

If he loves you and you love him a piece of paper and a ceremony is a small thing.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:10   #87

Boat: East Orient 32
Such a small thing...

Dan, If a piece of paper is such a small thing, then why not get it? In many countries it is legally much easier to travel with that piece of paper. I really don't understand the aversion to marriage especially for couples who have been together for many years. A ceremony, a public celebration of a couple's love for each other is a wonderful ritual in my opinion.
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:57   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsywoman View Post
Dan, If a piece of paper is such a small thing, then why not get it?

As a married guy I suppose I already have one.

I don't know Arlene or her partner and I am trying not to be judgmental.

If they are both Americans I don't think it's a travel issue either.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 13:04   #89

Boat: K Peterson 44
Thank you for your thoughts and perspective! I've taken a super class thru Spinnaker Sailing, and I'm reading everything I can....We are taking a short, week-long trip in two days....My "partner" is an incredible sailor (not to mention, he can fix, modify, or improve anything) and very patient with me. Although the "piece of paper" is a small thing, he doesn't want to go there (he's been married before).....In fairness, he has said that if I have to have the paper, he would give it to me......But that's not the way I'd like to have it. I'm putting my life into his hands. I'd like to know that he wanted me as much as the boat. The boat has it's USCG papers. And he was in a hurry to get those processed!

I'm thinking............
arleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 16:41   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Having gotten the paper in a previous life...

I got the required paper in a previous life. Made it much easier to get married accommodation, maybe made the job much easier too.

But three years later the marriage and the job were both gone and what I had left were some painful memories.

Was the writing on the wall when we got married? Probably yes.

Would it have affected the relationship? Probably would have lasted longer, and I would have been able to make way better choices about my future at more opportune times.

Oh, and do I keep everything in my name now?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote