Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 11:44   #46

Boat: Privilege 37
Kai

I have seen some marvelous plantings on some boats, and one even that had a vine climbing around the radar arch. Growth of cress and melons will add variety to the diet, but do need some protection from spray (best on a cat).
Old 10-02-2006, 17:04   #47
Kai Nui

HMMM? Not sure about melons rolling around on deck, but vines are a good idea. I will have to run that idea past the boss. Lot's of plant, and little dirt. That could make us both happy
Old 17-02-2006, 08:08   #48

Boat: East Orient 32
Plants on board

I love plants and flowers on the boat. Whenever I'm in one place long enough, my herb garden expands and I pick roadside flowers for the table. I also have an aloe vera plant which is good for burns.

While sailing, all the plants go in the sink but I'm planning to create a permanent and safe space for them on a shelf.

One day I may be too old and feeble to sail and then I will have a real garden with lots of dirt to play in.
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 08:16   #49
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Hi seagypsy,
Are therte any special techniques to growing herbs on board? Problems with salt air, or any specific herbs that flourish or fail? We are very keen to have some fresh flaovour aboard.
Cheers
Pete
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 08:59   #50

Boat: East Orient 32
Growing herbs on board

Pete, I have no idea. I usually get a few pots at 2euros each at the street markets and try to keep them in the sun. If they die, I get new ones. Keep picking to get new growth.
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 11:04   #51

Plenty of salt spray from the waves could damage plants?

I remember reading that somewhere. Somwhere around 6 months or more ago, I was reading about gardens at sea. And that's where I read up on that!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 11:30   #52

Boat: Privilege 37
The salt gets on the leaves and inhibits the chloro watsit reaction. The salt gets into the soil and affects the chemical balance, result =plant dies.
Old 17-02-2006, 11:37   #53

Exactly right Talbot. And that's what happens!!

Might be better to have the plants next to the windows inside the boat. Safer for the plants!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 17-02-2006, 18:49   #54
Kai Nui

Aloe on a boat is a must if you can keep it alive. As for herbs, we have had no luck with anything except spring onions. Everything else seems to die quickly. I like the idea of a vine on the davits. Very little soil, so it is easy to keep healthy. Just need to rinse the salt water off the leaves after sailing. I mentioned this idea to my wife, and she is very excited about it.
Old 17-02-2006, 20:04   #55

I haven't used Aloe in a very long time. Probably looking at 20 or more years.

I remember my mom using some on me, after I got burned once. It really works!!

Old 18-03-2006, 21:45   #56

Boat: constance camber, my design,40foot,S/V Salvor 111
gps

come on girls!! just get the stat sheet on the gps, go to the bunk read it , learn it , then the skipper can deal with his two and a half inches of flaming furry sorry I am a guy!
salvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 06:53   #57

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 46 :Star-Gazy"
Send a message via AIM to gini Send a message via Yahoo to gini
PLANTS ON BOARD

G'day Again, Fellow First-Mates! Just been catching up with the last 2 months' exchanges. First, WHERE HAS MY MAD SEA DOG LOGO GONE?

Secondly, PLANTS. IF, IF, you can keep Aloe Vera going? It's easier to STOP it going, provided you aren't over-watering - likes to be kept quite dry. Have grown table herbs in a long plastic planter with a good layer of stones in the bottom to accommodate any over-watering. Don't re-water til the topsoil/peat is dry between your fingers. Seaspray can easily be washed off with a puff spray. Used to dig SALTY sea sand into our clay garden which improved growth. You can also plant stuff in hanging baskets or string 'hammocks'. Best plant story is when, after stocking up in Cyprus for 6 months in Chagos, we arrived without the growing medium... (Also forgot a machete for coconuts!) Having spent 20 Cyprus Pounds on a fantastic selection of salads, fruit and veges seeds, our total crop was 5 radishes! Kipper did brighten my morning once, when I got up to inspect our cherry tomatoe plants whose flowers I had hoepfully cross-polinated with a brush, to find a LOVELY BUNCH. On really waking, I noticed it was a cut out from the packet.... Stuff ashore was eaten by the coconut crabs and rats and ants.
So, Sanduri, plant on! We cruisers have seen some SUPER on board gardens, admittedly some marina-bound. Had to stop short at the palm on the foredeck, tho! Cheers, deer!
Old 19-03-2006, 08:40   #58
Kai Nui

Gini, thanks for the reply. Good stuff. Sundari read and appreciated all of it, especially the radishes. Now if we could just figure out how to rig the palm tree we could change the cutter to a yawl
Old 24-04-2006, 12:40   #59
cruiser

Women Afloat

Back when I began ocean cruising in my early 20's , up until my mid thirties I used to often invite women out sailing. About 95 % of the time, they never showed up , including those who had practically begged me to take them sailing and those who had advertised for crewing positions. When I talked to other single handers I found that they all had the same experience. It appears that the surest way to get stood up on a date is to make it a sailing date. I tried inviting them out for cofee as that would seem a bit less threatening. Same result. I breathed a sigh of relief when I found out that as I got older, it mattered far less.Now I bother rarely, but the result is the same.
Brent Swain
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 12:31   #60

Boat: O'Day 39, 1984, DROR
Women Cruisers and body cycles

I'm new to this forum and to using forums so bear with me!

My husband and I are in the process of getting our boat and ourselves ready to go cruising in a couple of years. Of course, new questions constantly pop up, and here is one for the women cruisers out there:

How do you manage your "period" and tampons and pads? They take up so much storage and the disposal must be tough.
Weaverani is offline   Reply With Quote