Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 09:54   #16

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Re: Looking For A Tallship Experience For 16 Year Old Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
My son has been a fulltime liveaboard with us for nearly 4 years, he will be 16 in September and I am trying to find a Tallship experience/job where he can spread his wings a little bit. He is competent crew, in shape and extremely respectful. I just want him to have some room to grow and find himself a bit.

Ideally I would love for something in the Pacific where I grew up, but the Caribbean works as well. We are sitting in Blackpoint Bahamas doing laundry and I"m searching, but all I can come up with are UK sailing programs, short ones at that.

I mentioned an entire semester crewing and he was all for that, preferably it would be longer then most of what I've found 4-5 day programs. Any help pointing me in the general direction would be greatly appreciated!

S/V Thin Line

P.S. We aren't affluent by any means, broke pay as you go cruisers as a matter of fact. This would likely mean making significant sacrifice on our part, but I believe it would be worth it.
The best kept secret in the US is the USCG academy, why I say that is not only do the cadets spend a year at sea (divided into 2 semesters) but upon graduation they have some choice that rest of the arm forces acedemies don't have. They can go into any of the services or can go into private industry with a reserve obligation only. The USCGA has 6 slots for Naval Air that no one I have ever talked to knew about...several of my son's friends who went their are now flying off of carriers. Plus he comes out with an engineering degree.
palm trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:38   #17

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

If you or your son are looking for real tall ships, there are three that come to my mind. The first is he can join the U.S. Coast and attend the CG Academy in Conn. and sail on the Eagle, either as enlisted crew or as a cadet, and get a College Degree. Second, there are two Tall Ships out of Gray's Harbor, WA. namely the Lady Washington, and the Hawaiian Chieftain.

If your son is as sharp as you say he is the CG Academy will be the best way to go. As it will cost you nothing, and he will get paid for going to college. However, be aware entrance is rough because it is strictly on grades (NO CONGRESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS). All other Academies require special recommendations.

What ever he decides to do Good Luck to him.
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:48   #18

Location: on board, San Carlos, Mexico and destinations beyond
Boat: Cal 3-46

Sea Semester is a rigorous program for University students; two schooners: R/V Corwith Cramer and R/V Robert Seamans. I think what you are looking for is here:
SALTS Sail and Life Training Society - Home . btw, my oldest son just turned 13 and I am/we are keen for him to travel the path you are exploring for your son. Our simple pedagogy for experiential learning on ship engages Head (think) Hands (do) and Heart (feel/reflect/revere).Gonna look at your blog, we just finihsed ten months aboard our Cal 46.
TrinitySeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:11   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
If you or your son are looking for real tall ships, there are three that come to my mind. The first is he can join the U.S. Coast and attend the CG Academy in Conn. and sail on the Eagle, either as enlisted crew or as a cadet, and get a College Degree. Second, there are two Tall Ships out of Gray's Harbor, WA. namely the Lady Washington, and the Hawaiian Chieftain.

If your son is as sharp as you say he is the CG Academy will be the best way to go. As it will cost you nothing, and he will get paid for going to college. However, be aware entrance is rough because it is strictly on grades (NO CONGRESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS). All other Academies require special recommendations.

What ever he decides to do Good Luck to him.
I thought they put the CG into the bucket with the other academies,
needing a congressional recommendation, kiss ass. Great way to get paid to get an education. At one time you could do two years and go for a masters degree at the school of you choice.

I hope they consider it and his grades are there.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:31   #20

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

There are quite a number of tall ship sail training trips available in New Zealand and Australia. In NZ the Spirit of Adventure. And in Oz there's Austa Tall Ships.

These programmes are usually intended for newbies. But given his experience there's no reason your son couldn't apply to join as crew. Typically that's a no cost option.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:36   #21

Boat: S&S 34

Try Leeuwin Ocean Adventures. This is out of Perth, Western Australia
Mendana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 14:09   #22

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Sorry, Didn't look to see if I'm being redundant.
Grays Harbor Historical Seaport Authority
Old 04-06-2015, 16:15   #23

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

Maybe the Bark Europa - they have both paid and crew positions and sail the Atlantic and Antarctic mostly. https://www.barkeuropa.com
RolfP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 17:45   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The St Lawrence II sails all summer out of Kingston Ontario. Its a great program, and not expensive:

https://youtu.be/1Nm-kKmZhJM
St. Lawrence II - Brigantine Inc.

Toronto Brigantine operates two ships, STV Pathfinder and TS Playfair, out of Toronto:

https://youtu.be/VfDVPyou_AE
Toronto BrigantineÂ*|Â*Tall Ship Adventures for Students

I sailed with them years ago, excellent program.However, at 60' on deck and 72' LOA, you might consider these tall ships...small ships.

Even if your aren't interested...check out the youtube video links (above) and you will totally want to sail with them.

Both these programs (above) get their staff from their trainees. Staff sail free, and maybe even get a small honorarium. So even if you must pay for the first course, he may be able to stay on without cost. Also, canadian dollars...thats a 20% discount right there for you.

If money is an issue, I think both programs offer burseries, or may offer you a deal if they are short of petty officers.

I've heard that flights from florida to toronto (or syracuse) are very cheap.

And if you have $48,000 (cdn), then Class Afloat runs a fantastic program where they can do a year of high school or university:

Home - Class Afloat
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:05   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 25

Have him join the USCG and work on the Eagle. and the best part is after he graduates from college he won't be living in your basement. and will have a full time job.
It worked for me. My daughter just graduated from the Naval academy
and is fully employed.
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 16:51   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
My son has been a fulltime liveaboard with us for nearly 4 years, he will be 16 in September and I am trying to find a Tallship experience/job where he can spread his wings a little bit. He is competent crew, in shape and extremely respectful. I just want him to have some room to grow and find himself a bit.

Ideally I would love for something in the Pacific where I grew up, but the Caribbean works as well. We are sitting in Blackpoint Bahamas doing laundry and I"m searching, but all I can come up with are UK sailing programs, short ones at that.

I mentioned an entire semester crewing and he was all for that, preferably it would be longer then most of what I've found 4-5 day programs. Any help pointing me in the general direction would be greatly appreciated!

S/V Thin Line

P.S. We aren't affluent by any means, broke pay as you go cruisers as a matter of fact. This would likely mean making significant sacrifice on our part, but I believe it would be worth it.

Great Lakes - the Tall Ships run frequent programs in the Great Lakes from the Eastern sea board. Check to see if there may be openings based on experience.

TALL SHIPS CHALLENGE® Great Lakes 2016

There are sign on positions for interested tourists for port to port. These are pay-to-ride. Dig deeper for long term crew positions.

Photos in 2010 on our visit to Green Bay. Many of these are pretty much tour/show boats. Others such as Europa do exploration campaigns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Bay 185.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	103347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Bay 145 ex.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	103348  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Bay 152 ex.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	103349  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:18   #27

THe Maine Windjammer Association could be a contact if he's interested in working aboard traditional schooners that take on guests.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 20:14   #28

Boat: Lagoon 400

Also look into the young endeavour.

http://www.youngendeavour.gov.au/site/scheme.php

It sails the east coast of Australia

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-06-2015, 04:21   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Unlike the other federal service academies, the Coast Guard Academy does not require a Congressional nomination. To be considered for admission, you must submit all required application material by January 15 of the year of entrance (October 15 of the year prior to entrance for Early Action consideration)...
... There is no minimum test score requirement for the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. Successful candidates usually score at least 1100 combined Critical Reading (Verbal) and Math on the SAT, or have an ACT Composite of at least 24.”
Admissions: Application Requirements

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 18:25   #30

Boat: Lidgard 32

Spirit of Adventure in New Zealand....

Spirit of Adventure Trust - Home

NZBRAND is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc