Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2010, 19:36   #136

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Two questions:
Do you spend the majority of the time on the hook?
Can you dead lift 100+ lbs.?
If you're primarily anchored and have biceps more like Arnold Horshack than Arnold Schwarzenegger, I suggest avoiding standard breeds- the bigger the dog the tougher they are to get on and off the boat. Also, the bigger the dog, the bigger the poop.
We are dock cruisers. Yes, it is the ghetto dock ( no water, no electric, showers are a 1/4 mile away), but being on a dock is a huge help with our dogs, Inky and Finn. (Shameless plug follows)
Medium dog, Inky:

Smaller auxiliary dog,Finn:

Both dogs are comfortable leaving the boat at dock, and have picked up on the concept of designated defecation zones on land. in the morning we walk down to the end of the dock, do the doodoo deed, tarp and trash the turd and strut back, to be repeated in the evening. There are other dogs on our dock, and all get along about as well as the humans they are attached to.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 18:48   #137

Boat: Island Packet Cat, 35 ft, Knotty Cat
Somehow we ended up with a Pit Bull on board. Wilbur is our Salty Dog and we wouldn't trade him for the world but you really should be a true dog lover before moving one aboard as they do add yet one more challenge. I will admit that we are very lucky though in that Wilbur learned how to use his potty patch within a week. We plan on heading to the Bahamas in January but that's as far as we'll go, mostly because of our 'baby' and his sensitive skin and tummy issues, and I don't ever want to be too far away from a vet (yes, I'm crazy!). I only wish all dogs were loved as much as our Wilbur!
Hans and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 00:26   #138

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
My dog Shadow, a five year old Pit doesn't know he's a dog. he's been with me 24/7 since he was in the palm of my hand and is now 80#. I think he thinks he's my little boy and I pretty much treat him that way. I'm a little concerned about moving onto the boat full time with him, but am encouraged by what others have said here on this site. I do plan on his wearing a life vest when topside and will install netting around the boat to keep him from falling overboard. He's good on his feet but has fallen off of piers when excited at seeing a fish. Another thing I'm thinking about is how to deal with getting him up and down the companionway ladder and into and out of a dinghy. I'm thinking a pet carrier with good handles and a line or two on it might work. He is really scared of being picked up and I wouldn't put either one of us through that. Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs and really misunderstood. I've had lots of dogs and never a companion as good as my shadow.
Old 17-12-2010, 04:32   #139
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
My dog Shadow, a five year old Pit doesn't know he's a dog. he's been with me 24/7 since he was in the palm of my hand and is now 80#. I think he thinks he's my little boy and I pretty much treat him that way. I'm a little concerned about moving onto the boat full time with him, but am encouraged by what others have said here on this site. I do plan on his wearing a life vest when topside and will install netting around the boat to keep him from falling overboard. He's good on his feet but has fallen off of piers when excited at seeing a fish. Another thing I'm thinking about is how to deal with getting him up and down the companionway ladder and into and out of a dinghy. I'm thinking a pet carrier with good handles and a line or two on it might work. He is really scared of being picked up and I wouldn't put either one of us through that. Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs and really misunderstood. I've had lots of dogs and never a companion as good as my shadow.

don't 'Doggie Jackets' come with a hook for a harness... if its up by his shoulders set the boom to one side before you both head ashore and use a pre-set line to haul him aboard from the dinghy..
If the jackets not suitable knock up a horse style sling... or set up a small gangway on your stern covered with netting for a grip then when you get back lower enough to touch dinghy and away he goes..
We use the gangways a lot in Europe with the mooring style over here and
a couple of boats I've know use this system for the dog when at anchor..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 04:51   #140

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Recently I made a short video to give a tour of my boat for anyone interested in buying it. My 'first mate', Harvey, just had to get in shot a few times! So if you'd like to see him, click the link in my sig'.
Old 17-12-2010, 05:00   #141

Our labradoodle is only 40 pounds but our companionway is a ladder not stairs. To come down Morn puts his paws on the Captain's shoulders and holds on, the Captain only has to support his hind legs. Going up Morgan can help on the treads so it is really just a quick heave.

We always have Morgan in a harness, rather than a neck collar and have had to pull him out of the drink twice by the harness. Off shore he wears a Body Glove neopreene and floatation PFD. The PFD would work for lifting a dog because it has neoprene all along the belly.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 20:42   #142

pirate Sailboat Dogs

We couldn't decide between little or big, so we have one of each ! The smartest thing I ever did, and it was totally by accident, was to let the big dog mature and then allowed him to socialize the small dog. I ended up with a small sized big minded dog that wasn't happy or hyper. He's great company for our older Golden as well... We are all headed for the Caribbean I. A few weeks. You can follow us through the eyes of the dogs on their blog. It's written for kids back home, but we are finding that there are lots of kids at heart that are following too. Love to see you there!

RNGypsy03
Here is the link:
Sailboat Dog
RNGypsy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 07:32   #143

Boat: Gulf Star Texas 50 ft.
Re: Liveaboard Dogs

I have a friend who plans on sailing with two large Weimaraners board his 35ft.Morgan. I cannot imagine ? I have friends with a small dog that have become weary with the hassle of having a dog on board ? cpt. r. bideaux
r.bideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 13:07   #144

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Large oily-skinned fart-prone dogs aboard a small boat is not going to be any fun at all--for the dogs or the owners. If you MUST have an animal aboard--a cat is the best companion of all--but for my money I would sooner have a parrot. Soon s/he will be able to cuss with the best of 'em. Sail with a woman. They are just about the best thing one can bring aboard (if you get a good one).
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 13:22   #145
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

We have labs. Yes, its work, but so is a boat.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 13:22   #146

Think I'd go with the parrot.
Old 25-11-2013, 13:23   #147
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think it was after I saw Gremlins (the movie) that I realized the good lord made cats and kitchen appliances in the same one convenient size for a reason.

But you seem confused as to whether to sail with a cat, parrot, or woman. I suppose that's a good thing from the dog's point of view, dog's generally prefer to stay in dens on land.

So confusing.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 13:42   #148

I suspose I'm just not used to sailing with animals on board. I thinking about the mess and damage they would present?
Old 25-11-2013, 14:13   #149
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.bideaux View Post
I suspose I'm just not used to sailing with animals on board. I thinking about the mess and damage they would present?
Our dogs have their own stateroom. One we have not refurbished.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 18:33   #150

Boat: Norman Cross 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.bideaux View Post
We have been cruising for 20 years with 1 or 2 Schipperke at the time and I cannot think of much that I would consider mess or damage! Get some puppy and train him/her well ... takes a few weeks of patience and you get years of no troubles at all .. like kids, you have to be tough at the beginning.

If you love dogs, cruising with one will bring many more positive than negative points

Tags
dogs, liveaboard