Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2015, 17:35   #1

Boat: jeanneau 39i
Latest info bringing pets into Bahamas

I just received my import permit from the Dept of Agriculture, which took one month and a week. They called me to see if I was still going to the Bahamas. Very nice and helpful lady. To clear up some incorrect interpretations that some cruisers have made this is the latest. You must get a permit. The permit states you must have a one or three year rabies certificate . There must be a Veterinary Health certificate issued by the country of origin within 48 hours for importation. Here is the one most people get wrong. The animal must be presented to a licensed Veterinarian for examination within 48 hours of arrival in the Commonwealth of the Bahamas.
Now we all know that the time restrictions don't make sense but that is how it is written. I brought a dog into the Bahamas for a number of years and never took the dog to a Vet.
They also sent a form IMP 1 (B) for your Vet to fill out and sign. Also required is the dog must have a Microchip. I will be testing the system in February.
jmtindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 18:13   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Latest info bringing pets into Bahamas

Thanks mate, we will be taking our dog there around march. What's the link or email address for the details?
Cheers
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 04:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Veterinarian Form (AGR/VS/1A Form) ➥ https://forms.bahamas.gov.bs/dp_form.asp?fid=449

All Forms ➥ https://forms.bahamas.gov.bs/titl.asp

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 05:54   #4

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Sorry but your information in not correct. I live in the Bahamas and our dog goes back and fourth the several times a year. There is no chip requirement. You must present health papers when you apply for the $10 permit. The permit takes a while by fax or mail. In person it is a next day thing. The permit comes with a form for your vet to sign. Do not have the vet date the form as the 48 hour requirement is on the books but never checked. There is no requirement for the dog to visit a vet, or it is never inforced. There are no exit requirements. It truly becomes a non event.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 06:14   #5

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Do not have the vet date the form as the 48 hour requirement is on the books but never checked.
If you know a vet that will do that please PM me the info. Because most reputable vets won't. You are asking them to put their license on the line by fraudulently filling out a government document. Not to mention the liability side of this issue.

Also, we are traveling from Massachusetts. So our vet would need to sign the paperwork months before we ever cross to the bahamas.

We plan to find a vet in Florida before we cross but weather windows could be a problem.
Old 21-01-2015, 08:30   #6

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

BS. Most all vets in Fla are familiar with the requirement and do not date the form. Our vet in NC even had a stack of forms. Don't over think this.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 09:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

I have done this twice. Never received anything back from them.

I did everything, and just kept all papers with me. Never questioned.

I did my part, They didn't do theirs. this was 10 years apart.

if by boat, just do everything they ask, and keep all receipts.

Rich
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 09:18   #8

Last year we had the form signed by a vet in FL, no date. It was no problem, very common. Last year they did not even want to look at the permit when we cleared let alone check a microchip.

There has been a distemper problem in Nassau. Some countries have been asking for a vets permit from the Bahamas saying the dog does not have distemper. I don't see anything about this on the US customs website. It may only be other islands further south.

I'm now waiting for an import permit. Mailed it in Oct from Canada. No permit by Dec 15 so I faxed them, no reply. I arrived in FL Jan 4th, have tried phone calls, they don't pick up, several emails no response. Not sure how to move it along.

Don't wait to apply, it is good for a year. I should have applied in the summer.

Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 09:57   #9

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
BS. Most all vets in Fla are familiar with the requirement and do not date the form. Our vet in NC even had a stack of forms. Don't over think this.

Good to know. My vet in MA wanted no part of an undated form.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-01-2015, 10:29   #10

Boat: Knysna 480

I checked my dog into Bimini about an hour ago. It went smoothly and uneventfully. In December I sent an international money order, overnight fedex with the online application. I received a faxed import document in 5 days. Coincidentally, received the mailed import document yesterday, just as we were leaving. Easy for me to have a recent health exam document, I'm a veterinarian, made one up on the way over! But....they never looked at it , nor asked for a rabies certificate. The original import application form asks for a microchip number. The form the vet is supposed to fill out, also asks for that number. Again...none of these forms were looked at when I cleared customs today. I did hear another clerk ask someone for a rabies vaccine certificate.
Sailingveterinarian@gmail.com
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 11:07   #11

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I wonder what the vet checks? Fleas? We use natural flea meds, which are not always one hundred percent effective. I also wonder about the cost of dog food in the Bahamas. My two dogs together weigh 230 pounds, so they eat more than I.
Old 21-01-2015, 12:50   #12

Boat: jeanneau 39i

Just for the record Form #IMP ! (b) you must put in the Microcip number. They do not ask for the health paper when you apply for a permit. I Just did this. They must treat you different because you live in the Bahamas. There is a requirement on the permit that sates you must visit a vet in the Bahamas but I am sure you are right that no one does it. Maybe a vet in Florida will sign an un dated health certificate but as others have written most will not. In California it is against the law to sign one without a date. I have called the AGriculture dept a few time and always got through. call 1 424 325-7502
jmtindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 02:15   #13

Quite helpful info.
wilsonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 13:36   #14

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig37 View Post
Easy for me to have a recent health exam document, I'm a veterinarian, made one up on the way over!
Funny, I'm not a veterinarian, and I do the same thing! They don't look at mine either...
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 18:46   #15

Boat: 2001 Helsen Hunter 47-1/2

We cleared customs yesterday (2-26-15) at Spanish Cay, Abacos Bahamas with our Yorkie, Stella. Customs did ask for the pet permits and veterinarian health cert from my Vet. Customs kept the pet permits. You are NOT required to visit a veterinarian here. Hope this clears up any confusion.
CaptainsWench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, pets