Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 14:26   #1

Samyoed on boat in caribbean

Any one has experience Have a Samoyed on board.
Just dun know if they can cope with the wet salty environment

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 15:15   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Samyoed on boat in caribbean

We have a samoyed, lab, husky mix who hates boats and water. Makes it tough. Hopefully yours will like it more.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 15:57   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Our Sammy never adjusted to warm/hot weather or confined spaces and hated being onboard. Wrong breed for a boat dog. They love cold and running as they were originally bred in Siberia.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 16:01   #4

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Our Sammy hates being outside in the Florida heat. Tried taking him out on a sail once and he was miserable.

amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 16:14   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Hot, wet, salty, sandy fur will lead to a sick dog with skin infections and a miserable stench aboard the yacht. BTDT. Don't even think about it. For your own sake but even more so, for the dog's.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 17:07   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If this is a serious question, talk to your vet about how to help the dog through it. For instance, a fresh water rinse off after swimming. You don't want to bathe a dog too much, they need their natural skin oils, and a Samoyed, like the other working snow dogs, is double coated and relies on oil for a tad of waterproofness. I did meet one in a warm humid environment, whose hair was trimmed, like a "butch" haircut. He was getting on just fine.

Dogs foot pads are tough, but also slippery, your dog may not like sailing at all. My Malemute, another snow working dog breed, used to suffer from motion sickness. Don't know about a Sammy.

Ann
Old 24-02-2015, 23:39   #7

Thx all. I think it is tough for my dog too. We had him in hongkong in an apartment n we moved to Vancouver. Yes. He like cold weather.

Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 00:44   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Here's our chow/shepherd bitsa with a summer cut and her winter coat for contrast...

Brought her to Singapore she definitely sought out the air conditioner. Taking her for walks was cruel and unusual punishment. "Why are you doing this to me?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4020001.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	97870   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2280010.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	97871  

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 10:39   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpolar View Post
Any one has experience Have a Samoyed on board.
Just dun know if they can cope with the wet salty environment

Don't do it to the poor animal. They are not made for the tropics.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 15:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I'm a longtime Samoyed owner and a lifetime sailor. A few years back, we had one of the top winning Samoyeds in the US. We live in South Texas.

Unlike some think, Samoyeds actually do quite well in warm weather. Dogs don't sweat like people. They cool through the pads on their feet, and by panting. A well insulated dog will do better in the heat than one that has been shaved, AS LONG AS they don't get overheated to start with, and they have plenty of fresh cool water. Their white coat reflects the sun.

That being said, few of our dogs ever seemed to "like" being on a boat. But, most dogs don't, in my experience.

About being wet. When we were showing dogs, our dogs were ALWAYS wet. Heck about 1/4 of the time, sometimes. And when it rains, same thing. Some of our dogs loved the water, others hated them. Deuce, our top winning dog, LOVED riding waves in the gulf. He'd swim out 2 or 3 sandbars, just to ride waves! We'd just hose him off with freshwater, he'd shake it out, and in a few hours be dry. Boat rides were just another adventure for him. But, he was an unusual dog/Sam.

Saltwater, however is different. So, if you decide to cruise with him/her, plenty of fresh water for rinsing will be required. Regular combing will keep the coat and skin clean and dry. A good Samoyed coat is self-cleaning, with combing. Buy a GOOD comb. Greyhound combs are expensive, but worth it. In the long run, it will depend very much on the dog, rather than the breed.

On a note above about bathing too much. During show season, our dogs were bathed every week, sometimes twice. A high quality shampoo for dogs will also restore any lost oils. And yes, they are double coated, the fine undercoat is what sheds in massive quantities. And when I say massive, it is an understatement.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 16:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
I'm a longtime Samoyed owner and a lifetime sailor. A few years back, we had one of the top winning Samoyeds in the US. We live in South Texas.

Unlike some think, Samoyeds actually do quite well in warm weather. Dogs don't sweat like people. They cool through the pads on their feet, and by panting. A well insulated dog will do better in the heat than one that has been shaved, AS LONG AS they don't get overheated to start with, and they have plenty of fresh cool water. Their white coat reflects the sun.

That being said, few of our dogs ever seemed to "like" being on a boat. But, most dogs don't, in my experience.

About being wet. When we were showing dogs, our dogs were ALWAYS wet. Heck about 1/4 of the time, sometimes. And when it rains, same thing. Some of our dogs loved the water, others hated them. Deuce, our top winning dog, LOVED riding waves in the gulf. He'd swim out 2 or 3 sandbars, just to ride waves! We'd just hose him off with freshwater, he'd shake it out, and in a few hours be dry. Boat rides were just another adventure for him. But, he was an unusual dog/Sam.

Saltwater, however is different. So, if you decide to cruise with him/her, plenty of fresh water for rinsing will be required. Regular combing will keep the coat and skin clean and dry. A good Samoyed coat is self-cleaning, with combing. Buy a GOOD comb. Greyhound combs are expensive, but worth it. In the long run, it will depend very much on the dog, rather than the breed.
Ditto on the Greyhound combs.
Old 27-02-2015, 16:08   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

bstreep,

A chuckle from me about the "massive amounts" of undercoat shed. An example from my malemute, who had never been on the boat. Sailed from SF to Hawaii. Woke up in the morning to see one of his undercoat hairs floating in the sunbeam from the hatch!

My daughter used to save the hair from his undercoat, spin it into knitting "wool". It works best with 1/3 sheep wool added, for the staple, but there you go. Three months worth made a dog sweater for a friends smaller pooch.

Sorry for the hijack, just sharing.

Ann
Old 27-02-2015, 16:12   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I AM NOT THE PERSON IN THIS VIDEO. Just so you know!

bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 16:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
bstreep,

A chuckle from me about the "massive amounts" of undercoat shed. An example from my malemute, who had never been on the boat. Sailed from SF to Hawaii. Woke up in the morning to see one of his undercoat hairs floating in the sunbeam from the hatch!

My daughter used to save the hair from his undercoat, spin it into knitting "wool". It works best with 1/3 sheep wool added, for the staple, but there you go. Three months worth made a dog sweater for a friends smaller pooch.

Sorry for the hijack, just sharing.

Ann
It wasn't a hijack. Funny but true. You should have been using the Greyhound comb. Builds your arms up.

Tags
Caribbean, rib