Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 15:24   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Entertaining our Grand Daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
I sailed offshore one year around hatteras to Chesapeake. I had a great adventure, then my wife drove the kids up to the Yorktown area and we went to Busch gardens and water country USA, or whatever it's called. The kids had sooo much fun at those two parks. The water park can be done over and over again for a fourteen year old. We docked at York river yacht haven and I anchored there in Sarah creek after my singlehanded adventure waiting on the family.

Fourteen can be tough, but she may be easy. I know my kids remember that "sailing" trip as one of the best. Colonial Williamsburg is doable since you're there for two weeks. You might enjoy it more than she does, but all kids are different. One of mine is a history buff, the other no.

Get her an apple gift card for iPad content if she has one, and some treats both healthy and decadent. If you do a bunch of stuff she really likes to do, you can count on her wanting to come spend time with you. My in laws are fools. They want my kids to do the stuff they like, all the time, and no surprise my kids loathe going there. If they even split it half and half it would be better, but as I think about being a grandparent, I'd like to do stuff my grandkids want to do about 80% of the time, and the balance is stuff that they may not love right then, but is culturally significant and makes some kind of impact. I'm being a little flippant but you get the idea. Time with my grandparents had the most impact of any experience growing up, and guided my professional life and values.

If I were you, and had two weeks, I'd split my time between Yorktown and the amusement parks, and Washington DC and perhaps Annapolis. That way you get some sailing in, or at least some traveling. If she happens to love sailing and cruising, then you can head across the bay and hit some beaches. Do avoid afternoon thunderstorms and scaring her. Or you Also do your best to keep some AC going. You can do a day at the beach by driving from Yorktown to virginia beach.

I'm not going to disagree that 14 can be difficult,,but if you play your cards right, it can be a piece of cake. She may be about to have the time of her life. Grandparents are in a position to spend money and time on their grandchildren, build some good rapport, and then influence them.

You guys are lucky - have a blast! I'm only 42 and I'm secretly eager to be a grandparent. My oldest is only 20 and headed to med school, so I neither wish or expect kids any time soon. But conceptually I can't frickin wait. My grandparents made me feel important, and taught me so much. They were brilliant...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for a super post.

The only thing I would add is probably too obvious, but after she arrives, see if she already has something she would really like to do, and include it.

Ann
Old 13-06-2015, 19:50   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: Entertaining our Grand Daughter

I have a couple of ideas........

Contact some Yacht Clubs in the areas you'll be cruising and ask if they have any kind of youth programs. Race nights, socials, etc.

Cruise the bay and rivers, but if she becomes attached to a spot, linger there for a couple of days or more.

I totally agree you should get to know her desires in advance. I can't without knowing her personality or interests suggest anything specifically. You might suggest to her to spend time on google, goggle earth. Interact with you on an itinerary. She might like.....
Town of Chincoteague VA

http://chincoteague-va.gov/

I'll add that no matter where we were when I was a teenager, as long as I was on the water I had fun. I'm sure she will too All of the other suggestions are great, you really can't go wrong whichever area you choose.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote