Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2008, 21:55   #1

dog got a new home

I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who might be looking for some support towards finding your dog a new home.

I had a Schipperke; arguably the best boat dog you can have. She was born on a boat, and at 5 years old spent more time afloat than on land. She could use astroturf as a bathroom.

And a year after moving onto our second boat, we got her a new home on land. Here are our reasons:
  • My dog has a better life now. Her new owner is a single guy with a yard who takes her to the beach every day. She sleeps in bed with him, and spoils her. His whole family loves her. She plays more with him, and has much more room to run around and enjoy herself.
  • We plan on having kids on the boat, and dogs aren't the cleanest things in the world. The dog and the kids would be occupying the same floor, and that's kind of gross.
  • Her hair clogged filters, and generally made a mess. Anything that eats, poops, pees, and barfs that lives in your home will make it dirtier, eventually.
  • We want to head to Australia and New Zealand.
  • I started seeing her living on the boat as me being selfish and putting more value on my happiness than hers. No matter how you slice it, dogs like to have room and play. Boats are about as bad as it gets. She seemed happy, but I knew she would be much happier.
So there you go. I'm not trying to say that people with pets onboard are in anyway bad. I just want to offer some support for those thinking about hitting the eject button.

It's been a few months now that Calypso is gone, and I still get pictures emailed in from her new owner. She's incredibly happy in the pictures, and I know that as someone that loves her, I made the best decision for my puppy that I could.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote