Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 15:57   #31

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!
Re: Crazy Idea Several Families on a Big Boat

Who would be the Captain? Very important!
Midnight Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 18:17   #32

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
It was all going along so swimmingly. Who knew that darn rogue wave would hit the week just before "the collapse"? Here ends the story.

Rogue waves (also known as freak waves, monster waves, episodic waves, killer waves, extreme waves, and abnormal waves) are large, unexpected and suddenly appearing surface waves that can be extremely dangerous, even to large ships such as ocean liners.

Rogue waves present considerable danger for several reasons: they are rare, unpredictable, may appear suddenly or without warning, and can impact with tremendous force. A 12-metre (39 ft) wave in the usual "linear" model would have a breaking pressure of 6 metric tons per square metre [t/m2] (8.5 psi). Although modern ships are designed to tolerate a breaking wave of 15 t/m2 (21 psi), a rogue wave can dwarf both of these figures with a breaking pressure of 100 t/m2 (140 psi).
Whaaaaaaaaaa?? Sure sounds like you are trying to scare someone off ! Why ? A rogue wave would scare anyone. So what are you going to do, set in your recliner?
To the OP, damn man, go for it ! People dream of what you have in mind. But follow some of the good advice here, someone has to be Captain in a deal like this and beside having very good seamanship skills they better have excellent people skills also. I like the idea of a single owner but a partnership could work. There has to be a way also for a family to op out of the plan. Ignore the negativity here but I suggest you do some serious research on this plan and possibly pick the mind/minds of people who have done it. And I love multi-hulls but a 90+ mono hull is the way to go here. Good luck and keep us informed if your plan comes to fruition. :
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 21:04   #33

Wow, what a range of replies both positive and negative for the idea. I spent a year after high school working on freighters and traveling the world. Since that my career has taken me to 35 or so different countries.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain)

I get wanting to be only responsible for yourself and as a single guy do enjoy that lifestyle. I do however have the chance to broaden the minds of a couple young great kiddos and their lovely mother to share some great adventure with. I made up my mind that I wasn't going to spend my retirement wearing out Lazyboy recliners.
mmedinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 22:13   #34

Interesting thread actually. From my point of view - it's not easy, but it can be done. All aspects should be thought out in advance and written down on paper. Like - "what happens if..." Dealing with conflicts, leaving for good, leadership, money, food, maintenance, repairs, etc, etc, etc.
And (ideally) families need to spend time together before they start anything - to see how they can manage it.
If things will work out, advantages will be tremendous. More fun, more possibilities, more adventures, more safety...The group will be living life which no single family (within the group) would be able to afford.

Think Delos as obvious and modern example. Yes they are not group of families, but they found a way to keep few people onboard together (even though people come and go), and this makes their adventure great for them and fun to watch too.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:20   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, letitia p. and mmedinge.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:36   #36

Boat: Scout 30

How about something like this?

1956 Charter Vessel Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 03:40   #37

Think of Uber. They were supposed to be a way of letting people share their car for certain rides. But they were actually just another way of coordinating a taxi service.

Airbnb thought they would let people let out their spare rooms, but it turns out they were just another way of coordinating hotels.

Mybe that is hat you are talking about, just another way of organising a cruise.
Mozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 04:18   #38

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes

We bought a Lagoon 410 in the Caribbean in 2004. The previous owners had been two families - one with 2 kids, one with 1. They each had one hull.

The two guys had worked together in a house building business somewhere in the mid West as I recall.

They lasted 6 months before one family jumped ship and went and bought another boat.

So I would exercise extreme caution!

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat