Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2007, 15:40   #1

Cats (any pet really) and customs

OK first post here. My wife and I are considering going on a 1-2 year cruise, and we want to take our cats with us if possible. Cruising destinations would be the east coast of the usa as well as caribbean areas.

The question is... if you aren't familiar with the rules for a country which you are approaching, will they seize your pets if you are in violation? I guess the situation that I'm trying to avoid is showing up at harbor "X", contacting the customs people, and having them say, "this cat is not allowed... *yoink!* off it goes to the purification facility". I would much rather they just said, "hey, we don't like this cat, so either leave, or find the right papers".

The intent would be for the cat to say ON the boat at all times. I just want to make sure that we don't somehow lose them to some government BS.

Sorry for the newb post, but the cats are family to us, so we'd rather leave them with a relative than risk them being taken from us.

Brian
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 11:16   #2

Cruising with 2 cats

Hello Brian:

I was wondering if you got any information regarding cats that stays on board and certains country's regulations (as Australie).

We plan to cruise in several countries with our 2 cats and I have the same concern. If they stay on the sailboat, do they need to go to quarantine.

I have read horror stories about a quarantine in Australia. Two cats had to go into quarantine. It costs the owner 10,000 CA $ and the cats were so traumatized after that the owner had to have them put to sleep!

We really don't want to go through this.

Any help?
Chandelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 15:29   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Brian,

We have cruised most of the eastern Caribbean islands for several years with our cat, who stays onboard at all times. We always declared her when we cleared in, but since she stayed onboard, there was never any concern whatsoever.
Old 25-11-2007, 16:20   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Know the rules for each country as they vary widely. In general if you moor off and the pet stays on board you are fine but again, check each countries rules ahead of time.

It's a great season here and we are getting lot's of visiting yachts. Many pets all staying on board. One guy is in need of hauling out and we are trying to figure out how to keep his dog at sea to avoid the 4 weeks of pet jail. Maybe a floating kennel?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 16:23   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
AQUIS - and yes they mean it...

You can find information on how pets on cruising yachts on the AQUIS site and more particularly on this page.

My understanding of Australian quarantine is that they would consider these to be very generous conditions and any breaches would be regarded very seriously.

Remember that regulations can change so be sure to check that you have the latest version on hand.

My feeling is that if you have cats on board you will also need to have everything else that might be needed to comply. i.e. cages, harnesses, secure area below decks, heavy duty garbage bags etc.

Contacting AQUIS now and letting them know of your plans will give you a feel for how things might go.

It might also be a good idea to declare the cats as part of your inbound notification if it is not already a requirement.

Letting AQUIS know that you know the regulations and will obey them to the letter is a good way to start a harmonious relationship.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs