Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 08:41   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
books to encourage new female cruisers?

i am in the process of prepping my boat to leave california, to circumnavigate, probably in october now, instead of july. anyways, i fell in love with this girl, and i think i want to take her with me. she says she gets sea sick, and she has never really sailed before, but im hoping to overcome those two minor obstacles. can any of you lovely ladies in this forum recommend a book that i could get her, to help me convince her to leave with me? basically, im trying to make her WANT to go sailing around the world. any help is appreciated.
thank you
Old 06-06-2008, 09:08   #2

Try this one..

United States Search and Rescue Task Force

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:51   #3

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
Books

I don't know, but dealing with disaster at sea is not the first thing I would teach a woman I was convincing to go cruising. I gave my girlfriend (now a liveaboard with me) Catherine Dook's books. They are humorous stories on dealing with the everyday experiences of living on a boat. They are pretty darned funny, and gave Erika the right mindset. Meaning, she has a good idea of the sacrifices she was going to make and how her life was going to change. THEN I started teaching her sailing and disaster recovery.

But I still won't let her use the fire extinguisher, her idea of a "fire" is much different from mine.
Aqua Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
she has never really sailed before, but im hoping to overcome those two minor obstacles.
Pick the best day you can and take a short trip where it's only going to be fun and easy. Don't push your luck on the first sail or the first date. Sailing pretty much sells itself. After that the sea sicknees issue may follow.

Our first sailing instructor was an interesting woman from France. She went sailing as a kid and was dragged by her parents every weekend out on the family boat. She always got sea sick and threw up. Now she races and teaches sailing. Mostly becuase she likes it and she out grew the propensity for getting sick. If you like to sail more than you hate getting sick it works.

Another friend of ours gets sick just sitting on the boat at the dock with no waves. She just can't get past that. Somethings don't work and are never going to work.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmington Piper View Post
I don't know, but dealing with disaster at sea is not the first thing I would teach a woman I was convincing to go cruising. I gave my girlfriend (now a liveaboard with me) Catherine Dook's books. They are humorous stories on dealing with the everyday experiences of living on a boat. They are pretty darned funny, and gave Erika the right mindset. Meaning, she has a good idea of the sacrifices she was going to make and how her life was going to change. THEN I started teaching her sailing and disaster recovery.

But I still won't let her use the fire extinguisher, her idea of a "fire" is much different from mine.
Correct you are. It's was a joke because I just visited their webpage and while they have a kick ass ocean cruiser with all the goodies. Between the two brothers they don't have squat for ocean experience..And she just may be smart enough to know that ain't good and being able to survive may be a necessary skill if she choices to go along!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 01:19   #6

Boat: Hartley Queenslander 36
Try Beth Leonard's 'Following Seas' and 'Voyagers Handbook', 'Cruising in Seraffyn' and the rest of the Seraffyn series by Lin and Larry Pardey and the Cruising Womans Advisor by Diana Jessie. All of these are great and give lots of good advice, although if you want a true story of one girl who went from thinking her partner was completely crazy to want to sail the world, to loving it, 'Following Seas is my favourite. Hope these help and good luck.

www.concretefloats.com
www.sailingmissmoneypenny.com
miss-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 05:42   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Slow Travel by Mari Rhydwen

Slow Travel is an ideal book for your purpose.

Mari Rhydwen started cruising as a novice with her less than experienced partner. She started with enthusiam, fairly quickly found a diffferent reality and was ready to jump ship, but ultimately grew to love it and the lifestyle.

From a review at the Dymocks website ".... And by journey's end, Mari found a sense of freedom she never knew existed."

Welcome to Dymocks Online. More for Booklovers.

You can read selected sections of the book on Google books (looks like almost half is available online). Hopefully this link works worldwide.

books.google.com.au/books?isbn=1741140684

Old 18-06-2008, 08:15   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
An Embarrassment of Mangoes - Ann Vanderhoff

My mom, a longtime cruiser, gave this book to my finace. Worked for me It even managed to bump up the sailing priority to number three where it once was never even on the list. #1 the wedding #2 a house #3 a sailboat. Its kinda funny how each costs about the same, well the down payment on the house is the same, not the whole house. Anyway, yea. Mangoes is about this couple that cruised the carib and theres lots of stuff about girly things (cooking and whatever else you ladies do, jk!)
Old 18-06-2008, 15:06   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
As well as POSITIVE books, get her to read our website and find out how Nicolle has coped! Also read Nicolle’s posts on here.

She has taken to the sea and cruising like a Martian to a spaceship because she hasn't been scared off by all the disaster books and she just plugs her ears when people crap on to her: Pirates, hurricanes, voyages of more that half an hours duration...

Nicolle would even take a private message if there is some secret girls business that needs to be discussed.

Nicolles User Profile

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 15:23   #10

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I think you might be over looking one minor (or major) detail. Is sailing around the world her dream? We know it's your dream but is it hers? If that dream is not hers, then this idea of your could be over before it gets started.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 15:30   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
. . . she just plugs her ears when people crap on to her . . .
Is this yet another Ozzie expression I've not encountered before? Please enlighten me.

TaoJones
Old 18-06-2008, 15:31   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Its positive! There's a lot of good tips about shopping in the markets and cooking with new ingredients. She also liked the book because it gave her meal ideas for me to cook for us. Katie can't really cook at all, she even burns the occasional pot of water . So it was just a joke and I think its a good read.
Old 18-06-2008, 15:34   #13

Boat: Tartan 40
All of these books would be great, but again if she doesn't love it YET don't force it. Would be far better to get her serial plane tickets to meet you along the way and get to see the best of cruising- neat destinations, etc, before she has to experience the discomfort (despite the fantastic experience) of passage making. Then maybe she'll be in love with it and want to continue. But force the issue too soon, and you'll have a miserable ex-girlfriend on your boat with you until next landfall.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 15:42   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Is this yet another Ozzie expression I've not encountered before? Please enlighten me.

TaoJones
We are not allowed to divulge our National secret coded lingo.

But as an example, its the selective hearing my elderly mother uses when I start talking to her... after a minute or 2 she starts fidgeting and then I see her hand quietly sneak up beside her face to her ear as she switches her hearing aid off!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 16:05   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamaphone View Post
An Embarrassment of Mangoes - Ann Vanderhoff

My mom, a longtime cruiser, gave this book to my finace. Worked for me It even managed to bump up the sailing priority to number three where it once was never even on the list. #1 the wedding #2 a house #3 a sailboat. Its kinda funny how each costs about the same, well the down payment on the house is the same, not the whole house. Anyway, yea. Mangoes is about this couple that cruised the carib and theres lots of stuff about girly things (cooking and whatever else you ladies do, jk!)
I agree! This is a GREAT book. My wife and I read it just before we sailed down to the Caribbean, and we absolutely loved comparing our experiences with theirs. We've both read it again, after our cruising, and it's even better!

p.s. we caught some conchs in Mayreau and made the "Cracked Conch" recipe. To die for!!!