Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 00:10   #1

Tools in the kitchen

We're getting ready to leave the US the end of Oct. I need advice on what kind of pressure cooker to buy for cruising. And I need to know the best kind of vacuum sealer for food.......any help would be greatly appreciated!
Gabbywray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 00:19   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Tools in the kitchen

Get a Stainless steel PC and make sure it fits your stove so you can use the other burners at the same time-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 01:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

When buying your pressure cooker ensure that you can easily get replacement gaskets, they can be difficult to find for the more obscure brands.

I have a FoodSaver vacuum sealer with both a selection of bag sizes and a roll of bag to make my own. Very useful for storing dried foods, flour, chemicals (make sure you label them well!) and other items.
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 02:14   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have a super little PC on board with ears rather than handles so it's easier to store. Do take a spare seal and poppet valve widget with you. We are also about to try a slow cooker on board for curries and stuff. By chance Viv bought one which runs at 75-90w, most seem to be 200w. With an inverter it ought to be possible to run this for a few hours without killing the batteries.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 03:20   #5

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Get a Stainless steel PC and make sure it fits your stove so you can use the other burners at the same time-
Good advice. Better to avoid aluminium the best you can. Otherwise you will be forever looking at corrosion with a view to Alzheimer's.

I am also wondering how good some of the top brand ceramic pressure cookers perform? Unfortunately my laptop is down so I can't give a link.

Another point is to treat pressure coolers as the boating versions of pots and pans. While I have a larger pressure cooker I often crave for a smaller complimentary one. Even a couple of average sized ones would not hurt. For example, the pasta sauce in one and pasta in another without danger of spillage or scalding whilst conserving energy.
Old 18-07-2012, 03:41   #6

I've been using an old smaller 4 quart aluminium Presto model on board for a number of years. It takes up less room and is able to do all the recipes I need and doubles as a pot for pasta too. I got it because it was my girlfriends and she was no longer using it because it needed a new gasket. Stainless is probably a better way to go but, this aluminum unit shows no signs of quitting anytime soon. As others have mentioned I also recommend you carry a spare gasket or two for the lid.
Old 18-07-2012, 04:59   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gabbywray.

Everything Pressure Cooker ➥ Pressure Cooker Recipes

Including Recommendations ➥ Tips on Buying a Pressure Cooker

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 05:13   #8

I have been thrilled with the Kuhn-Rikon two pan pressure cookers, a small one and a large one. Parts are easy to get from Amazon or someone's Pantry, I forget the name right now. The other consideration is will the PC fit in the locker where you store your pans. The large one just goes through the locker door under the stove on my boat. Lots of room in the locker, but the size of the opening is the determinant.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote