Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2014, 17:04   #1

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
Three burners vs 2 burners stove

Is there a huge difference between a two burner stove and three burner. Is it worth changing out before taking on a 6 months cruise...the number on the cruise would only be 2 adults.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 17:09   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Three burners vs 2 burners stove

I had a 4 burner which didn't achieve much unless you used midget pots... have just changed to 3 burner ( Smev in both cases Smev 3 Burner/ Oven/Grill Marine Stove ULPG Replaces 002840 - Camec Official Store: RV and Caravan Accessories ...just paid $1300 NZ for the new one with gimbal set ) which should be ideal. Can't image just having 2 burners.
Thats with a crew of 2...sometimes 3 or 4.
Old 26-11-2014, 17:13   #3

Boat: Norseman 447
Three burners vs 2 burners stove

We have a Seaward 3 burner. Very seldom use all of them even with 5 on board. It is impossible to use 2 large pots at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-11-2014, 17:13   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

When we bought our boat it came with a 2 burner. It was a deal breaker for my wife. The dealer swapped it out for a 3 burner. If you like to cook (or eat) it makes a difference.
Old 26-11-2014, 17:36   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like to cook.

I imagine cruising with only 2-4 people on board. Meals sized appropriately.

At home I have a four burner stove. I never use more than 2 burners. Consequently, I think if I found a boat with a 2 burner stove, I would feel "right at home."

I can't imagine having four pots going at once on the stove on a boat. YMMV
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 17:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I also like cooking and concur, two is enough. I can't remember the last time I used three.
Old 26-11-2014, 17:59   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I'm another one who likes cooking
Have two burners on the boat, and use both maybe 50% of the time - never felt the need for three.
At home, have five burners and very occasionally use three - main reason for multiple burners at home is to have a good range of burner size. This hasn't been an issue on-board

YMMV
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 18:14   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

My advice is don't change it out. I have had a two burner stove (with oven), lived with it for 18 yrs. on our first "Insatiable." With two burners, you will sometimes find yourself cooking one item, like a vegetable after a longer cooking one has finished, and you just keep it warm for a bit while the quick cooking one finishes. On a 30 ft. boat, a 3 burner stove that will fit in the existing aperture will be so small that little but a dedicated asparagus pot will fit with two medium pots on the other burners. This boat has a 4 burner stove, and the big wok doesn't fit well over one burner, and the diagonal burner from it barely takes the rice pot at the same time.

So, my advice is to experiment with it. If, after cruising 6 months, either of you wants to try a bigger stove, then go for it. Two burners plus an oven did us very well, for 18 yrs. of liveaboard cruising. Then we bought this boat.

Ann
Old 26-11-2014, 18:20   #9

Most people who aren't line cooks don't need more than two burners but really it depends on menu items and number of covers.

That said, most pros are concerned foremost with max BTU's and oven size. Depending on whatever particular brand you are shopping three burners gets you max BTU's while four is a waste and two is too little.

Diameter of cookware matters as much as anything because there is only so much space.!

Bon appetite!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 18:37   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I like cooking. I have a 6 burner range at home with 2 ovens and separate grill/broiler.

On the boat I have found a two or 3 ring top is perfectly adequate. (26 foot vessel currently 2 burner) I tend to use the oven mostly if cooking a full meal. Even a roast of meat, potatoes and veg can all be done on one tray in the oven. The burners are used for gravy making in the cooking tray after. I can cook most any meal using the 2 burners and the oven/grill.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 19:50   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Another vote for two being enough, and yes, I like to cook. Had a three burner on a previous boat. Never used them all at once. Two burners and a good oven works great for the two of us.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 26-11-2014, 20:43   #12

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I must say that if I had a perfectly good 2 burner I wouldn't chuck it out and replace it with a 3. I only got rid of the 4 after 20 years because it was knackered.... 1 burner stuffed, auto ignite stuffed, grill stuffed and oven glass bust....

We find we use three quite often... even if not all at the exact same time... saves juggling pots around the galley....
Old 26-11-2014, 21:04   #13

Boat: csy 37
we have a 3. never used more than 2. would prefer 2 larger burners to the 3 smaller ones we have.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 21:05   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

My wife turned out fantastic meals and baked with a two burner stove. Personally have never used more than two burners at one time and can't remember the admiral using more than that for fairly elaborate meals at home. Question how a three or more burner stove would gimble with a heavy pot like a pressure cooker as the burners are offset from the gimble pivot point.

One place a 3+ burner has a benefit is a bigger oven but we didn't bake any pizzas and never missed the larger size.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 21:14   #15

I had a 2-burner on last boat, and 3-burner on the current one. I like having the extra burner, but I have one issue that did not occur to me until I had experienced both:

On the 2-burner, both burners were directly inline with the gimbal axis. The stove would balance no matter what you had on it. On the 3-burner, none of the burners are inline with the gimbal axis. Not a huge deal, but does sometimes require setting up some counterbalance when cooking underway.
mr_f is offline   Reply With Quote