Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2013, 06:20   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Storing large utensils?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
We use Sistema storage boxes. Fit rather well into lockers. Mostly the 7 litre and 3.5 litre ones.

I don't like drawers. Time consuming and expensive to make, poor use of space on a boat and inflexible.
Agreed!
I also use plastic boxes as well for most items. Wood cabinets hold moisture and tend to get musty. So keeping the contact of items from raw wood (clothes, paper, food and gear) helps keep the boat dry and clean. I avoid cardboard as much as possible. Synthetic or heavy duty plastic shopping bags goes well in tight corners for loose items.
Old 13-07-2013, 06:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

Agreed!
I also use plastic boxes as well for most items. Wood cabinets hold moisture and tend to get musty. So keeping the contact of items from raw wood (clothes, paper, food and gear) helps keep the boat dry and clean. I avoid cardboard as much as possible. Synthetic or heavy duty plastic shopping bags goes well in tight corners for loose items.
Walmart sells platic bags which you can attach to a dingy/mattress pump and suck he air out. These keep things from getting moldy or musty.

A trick I se, is to put heavy or bulky items on the top and the bottom, with the thinner or mire delicate items in the middle. The clothes don't wrinkle as much this way.

I've been thinking of building a permanent "dispenser" for box wine. Anyone done that?

Jeff
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 08:12   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestle View Post
... I've been thinking of building a permanent "dispenser" for box wine. Anyone done that?
Jeff
Yep, several, including:
Boxxle: Premium Box Wine Dispenser

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 09:26   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestle View Post
Walmart sells platic bags which you can attach to a dingy/mattress pump and suck he air out. These keep things from getting moldy or musty.

A trick I se, is to put heavy or bulky items on the top and the bottom, with the thinner or mire delicate items in the middle. The clothes don't wrinkle as much this way.
Jeff
Space bags, and they are great for stowing winter/summer stuff deep in the bowels of the boat...open after a year, fresh as a daisy unless you accidently put a unwashed blanket in it...then whew stinky!

Our big utensils are in a drawer, but I like the PVC idea, that has potential.
Old 13-07-2013, 09:54   #20

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Hello Annie. For me, I prefer a silverware drawer to a storage container I'd have to fetch, open, select from and then put away after the dishes were washed. Sounds like too much work to me! My silverware drawer in the galley is next to the sink and holds all utensils along with lots of other things. At the bottom of the drawer is a work rag folded to drawer dimensions and then some to cushion (and it makes dusting the drawer easy)

The drawer is longer than it is wide so all the big stuff (spatula, potato masher, slotted spoon, ladle, hand mixer, etc.) run lengthwise. The knives are tucked into the side blade down under the skewers to the far right.

Across the front are two layers running cross-wise. The bottom has the extra spoons, forks and knives for when company comes over. Then my linen napkins. On top of those are the utensils I use all the time: knife, fork, spoon, mini-spatula, tongs and stove lighter.

That's it -- everything is tidy, has it's own spot and is the best of... meaning I don't have two potato mashers, just one. I do have a couple of big knives, but one of all the essentials.... This past autumn I realized I hadn't used my garlic press for some time and was on a Morgan41 where the wife used garlic in everything -- now grandma's garlic press has a new home where it will be used regularly.

Bring everything (the best one of) and eliminate as you cruise what won't work for you. I like drawer storage. For me, I want everything stowed out of the way so that if I get waked it won't matter. Storage outside a container of some sort might attract dust/spots so for me hidden is best for that reason too.

Good luck. And good luck.

P.S. - Nothing rattles (the rag at the bottom solves the slide/noise issue) and the couple of glass items (measuring dripper, straw) in the drawer are unbroken.

Also (thread drift) save your empty spice jars, especially those with the bigger holes. They make excellent containers for growing lentils in small batches. Next on my galley agenda is to find an attractive spice rack so that I can stow them neatly while underway.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:47   #21

Boat: Island Trader 37

I have knives on a magnetic strip, but I never thought about putting my spatulas, etc. Great idea!
Rubyvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 10:21   #22

I have 3 swing out cab doors in the galley. I attached some ss wire storage bins which are about 4"w x 3" h x 12" l (guess) and just drop all the big utensils in one. The other doors I can store other galley stuff.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 16:59   #23

I have a tall Longaberger basket that I have velcroed to the countertop that holds all my large utensils. They are within easy reach in the galley and have never fallen out when underway.
Resolve483 is offline   Reply With Quote