Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 10:29   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Removing water tank

Folks,

We currently carry 150 gallons of water. A mid tank of 40 gallons and a forward water tank of 110 gallons.

I am seriously considering tearing out the forward 110 gallon water tank to open up room for storage and for a watermaker. This would leave us with a single 40 gallon tank and an optional 50 gallon bladder we keep onboard that we could fill if we needed.

I figure that in areas that are not suitable for water making there is probably plenty of suitable sources of drinking water so filling our tank would not be a problem. If its in an area that is not suitable for making water and there is no suitable drinking water source, we could go to sea to make water. If something were to happen to our built-in tank, like a leak, its fairly easy to fix fiberglass tanks, or we can simply use the 50 gallon water bladder temporarily.

If there was any room left over in the forward area after the watermaker and the tools were stored, we could put water jugs and the bladder for long passages.

For passages, the 40 gallons in the tank would be sufficient for 20 days for 2 crew - almost enough to get anywhere.

If anticipating going longer than 20ish days we would have the watermaker and our bladder filled as reserve. When the watermaker fails we could drop our utilization down to 1/2 gallon a day per person and stretch our leftover water substantially.

What do you think of this plan?

We plan on keeping our Cabo Rico for a while but I am wondering if this would decrease its perceived value.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 14:21   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Removing water tank

Need to make sure that the loss of more than 900 pounds forward is not going to affect performance. Weight distribution is something designers take into consideration. Perhaps seek advice from a naval architect.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 14:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Also, the tank or tank support structure may be necessary for hull strength.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 15:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
Need to make sure that the loss of more than 900 pounds forward is not going to affect performance. Weight distribution is something designers take into consideration. Perhaps seek advice from a naval architect.
Well, its no different than the tank being empty so I am sure that was considered.
Old 18-11-2015, 16:03   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Zboss,

My Cabo has 80 gallons of FW under the v-berth and another 100 gallons under the main saloon. Kinda silly for the two of us IMO. I would love to replace about 50 gallons of FW storage with fuel. That would give me 130 gallons of water and 100 gallons of fuel. I think that would be perfect. No more jerry cans on deck except for one or two for gasoline for the dink.

I've not quite figured out how to do it yet. I know I need to keep weight in the bow to compensate for the CR 38 liking to squat in the stern. But I doubt the fuel pump could pump from a midship fuel tank. It starts to get complicated with fuel transfer pumps.

Keep us informed on your refit. In the next couple of weeks I should be ready to put the engine back together

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 16:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Zboss,

My Cabo has 80 gallons of FW under the v-berth and another 100 gallons under the main saloon. Kinda silly for the two of us IMO. I would love to replace about 50 gallons of FW storage with fuel. That would give me 130 gallons of water and 100 gallons of fuel. I think that would be perfect. No more jerry cans on deck except for one or two for gasoline for the dink.

I've not quite figured out how to do it yet. I know I need to keep weight in the bow to compensate for the CR 38 liking to squat in the stern. But I doubt the fuel pump could pump from a midship fuel tank. It starts to get complicated with fuel transfer pumps.

Keep us informed on your refit. In the next couple of weeks I should be ready to put the engine back together

Rich

Where is your fuel tank? We have 50 gallons all the way back when you come down the companionway but that is it.

I agree, we need more fuel. The other option was replacing the 40 gallon water tank in the middle so that we then have 90 gallons of fuel. Then convert the forward tank to 40 gallons and put in the water maker.
Old 18-11-2015, 23:50   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Zboss,

I have 80 gal of FW under the v-berth, an other 100 gal of FW under the cabin sole and behind that 50 gal of fuel under the cabin sole just forward of the companion way.

cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water