Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 21:50   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Regular Whole Milk Questions

I'm hearing you Tammy, you love your milk and so do I !!! I drink around 2 litres a day of what we have here called "Skinny" milk. There are roughly 3 fat types in this country, the full fat, low fat and skinny variety, also known by other names.

I have found that my favourite Skinny milk comes in 1 litre UHT containers and I almost can't tell the difference. They last a long time as in many months, 6 or more from memory.

I'd suggest that you try a few different types to see if you like them...
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 22:35   #17

In another five years I would not be surprised to find that low fat milk was considered one of the biggest wrong turnings in the history of industrial food supply. (For reasons I will go into only on request)

And homogenised whole milk, it now seems, is less good for us than whole milk (because the much finer globules of fat find their way into our bloodstream as lipids)

This is not yet a mainstream view, so I will be howled down, but I would be interested to revisit this in five years.

Pasteurised milk may also prove to have be an unfortunate turn: it can with some justification be described as a way of salvaging milk from unhealthy herds, but at least here there is a genuine threat to health:

the impetus for homogenising, on the other hand, is entirely about convenience.

And it denies us a simple choice, and a more versatile commodity; we can no longer opt to pour off the top milk, leaving us with skim milk for those who prefer it, or alternatively invert the container a couple of times for whole milk. (three products in a single bottle)

When they wish, Big Food trumpet the unmitigated benefits of "consumer choice", but in this case they deny us choice when they cajole us into compliantly settling for a product (homogenised milk) largely for their own convenience, although ostensibly for ours.
(The equipment and containers are easier to clean)

How hard is it to tip up the bottle before pouring?
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 23:55   #18

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

gamayun
Yes there was none when we first went. But slowly the marketers decided that 1.5 billion people was too good an opportunity to miss so milk became something Chinese should have. I tried most of it over the years but did not taste like any cow milk I had ever had.Left there 18 months ago and there were some joint ventures with Aus and NZ companies hat produced something close to what we are used to this part of the world.
When I think back over the years it was hard to find a supermarket now they are many times bigger in volume and size than here and most have a dairy section nearly as big as a local supermarket here.
Funny how they survived for as long as they did without dairy but then again Maccas is advertised as healthy food in China.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 00:22   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> allowed people to continue to drink milk beyond infancy, the only animal to do so

Tell that to a cat
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:33   #20

thanks everyone for the info and advise you gave me....i love my milk so what can say.....it was way i grew up....tammy44
Tammy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:43   #21

Boat: Catalina 380

I can say that in the BVI in February they did not have regular whole milk in the gallon jug. They did have the liters of the radio active non refrigerator stuff. Takes a little getting used to but it's ok. The locals say it's a hit or miss kind of thing. Sometimes they have it sometimes not. I'm told when it does come, it ain't cheap.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:46   #22

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Yes, I remember as a kid I loved the top 1/3 of the milk bottle. You could buy pasteurized and pasteurized/homogenized bottles. Then only the latter. When I lived in the UK, (a few, few years back), I could again get the cream on the top milk. On the continent is was UHP for the most part.

Like so many thinks now a days, can we believe all the medical hype? Remember oleo versus butter? Then we found out oleo was far worse. Now it seems saturated fats may not be so bad for us. One thing hard to eliminate on the other hand is the high fructose corn sweeteners we find in almost everything we consume. Big business isn't really concerned with our health, just their bottom lines.

I like milk as well. It took a long time to go from 3% to 2% and now 1%. I drink a whole lot less of it now. It is just not the same.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:51   #23

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Our society has been hoodwinked into thinking cows milk is healthy. But only for calfs. Aside from lactose intolerance some people have, Casein (a primary protein in cows milk) can trigger autoimmune responses in humans and is linked to type 1 diabetes in young children, multiple sclerosis, and thyroid disease.

Google "casein and autoimmune disease". It's too late for me but if I knew what I know now I'd never gave exposed my children to cows milk (or other dairy products) as a food staple. There's nothing in milk that can't be obtained from healthier sources.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:11   #24

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

If you abstain from fresh milk for periods of time, you'll need to while cruising, then indulge when it becomes available, it will taste even better. Tis' true of all life's little pleasures.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:14   #25

Me thinks this is not a big issue as Tammy and her partner have many mountains to climb before she has to even give a passing thought to having her milk!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:12   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post

I like milk as well. It took a long time to go from 3% to 2% and now 1%. I drink a whole lot less of it now. It is just not the same.
Try the Simply Smart milk. The low far stuff tastes like whole milk. I really started buying it because it lasts a lot longer.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:20   #27

No fresh milk in the south Pacific. I found low fat/skim milk powder works the best as you can make it as creamy as you want. When we got home after 7 months using powder milk the wife dragged me off to a milk bar for a real milk shake and a hamburger with pineapple and beetroot. HEAVEN.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:53   #28

thanks everyone for answering my questions.....yes it is tough question about milk....again i found way to have milk.....like someone said i could freeze milk as well.....and i did milk you found in carton that does not need to stored until you open it....yes i want to travel around the world ....and do tons of sight seeing for sure.....thanks everyone
Tammy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:19   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hi Tammy,

I am a bit different that many, and I believe full cream milk is far better for you than skim or low fat milk. Mind you theres carbs in milk so I stick with cream!
Anyway, each to their own diet...

Now to answer your question...
World wide there are several brands of UHT milk. These are in cartons and can be stored without refrigeration. Then cool it before use.

There are also two types of UHT, one that can be stored, and the other that can only be stored in a refrigerator, but it will last more than a month. Thats usually cream. Its hard to buy cream in UHT that stores in a cupboard.
So read the labels carefully.

The UHT full cream milk can range in taste from pretty bloody horrible to fantastic so before you buy 6 cartons, or 6 cases, just buy one carton and see if you like the taste. If theres a selection buy a carton of each and see which one os best. Do a "blind" taste test with hubby and vote

Normally the most expensive tastes best to me, but thats not always the case, theres one English brand thats often cheapest thats very good.

When you hit a good provisioning stop before a passage you really need to work out how far it will be before the next good one. So, for example, if you were heading for a pacific crossing from the caribbean then you need to stock up three months supply of milk before you leave St Martin. Panama may not have a good tasting brand, and the pacific has bugger all of anything till you get to New Zealand and Australia.

In Asia, remember many people are lactose intolerant so milk can be difficult to find.

Some folks may not think milk is important, but it is!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:30   #30

the un refrigerated irradiated milk available all over is fine as far as I'm concerned. But then, I'm not exactly a milk officianato!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote