Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2014, 18:45   #151
cruiser

Re: Quest for the One Can Meal

Pop tarts contain aluminum. Many canned soups like Campbell's and progreso contain msg. Does anyone know of more healthy canned foods? I'm thinking rice and beans which take a lot of water but I'm willing to drink the rice juice after. Haha. Are rice and beans a good option for. 2 weeks at sea?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DeftxM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 18:48   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

One pot rice - Very similar to SCs recipes but consider doing the rice like spanish rice. heavy skillet - saute the rice in oil until starting to brown. Throw in garlic and onion near end of rice browning to blanch them. Add canned tomato, suitable canned meat, taco or burrito seasoning, chili powder, some diced bell pepper if you have it. Add suitable water - remembering you have liquid already from the tomatoes. A clear lid helps next but then cover - do not open under any circumstances for 15-20 minutes - you have to let the rice do it's thing or it will come out wet and soggy. Clear lid helps you evaluate - solid lid you have to time it.

When the rice is done add some canned black beans and stir/fluff up the rice.

Sorted.

See batchelors can do this - Helps if you're a single dad and have a 16 y/o eating machine.... It's survival.

Burritos, gumbo and red beans and rice are other goto meals.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 18:49   #153
cruiser

Most of the new plastics are supposedly bpa free. I've heard canned tomatoes are bad for you cuz the acid leeches stuff from the can

Old 20-07-2014, 18:50   #154
cruiser

How long does rice last in a wet environment? Should I keep it in a well sealed jar?

Old 20-07-2014, 18:59   #155
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidMetal View Post
Pop tarts contain aluminum. Many canned soups like Campbell's and progreso contain msg. Does anyone know of more healthy canned foods? I'm thinking rice and beans which take a lot of water but I'm willing to drink the rice juice after. Haha. Are rice and beans a good option for. 2 weeks at sea?

Hit a Whole Foods store, I seem to recall some cans there. I have had several of there packaged risotto and it was good. Was considering some meat and that for a dinner.

Been 5-6 years since I cut out processed food. On occasion when social conditions require me to eat that stuff, it does set well with my body. Somehow it knows it is crap!

Still a big fan of Natural High freeze dried. Simple, healthy and not loaded with salt.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 19:40   #156
cruiser

You still have to be careful with much of the whole foods stuff. Lots of it has soy in it which is gmo.

Old 20-07-2014, 20:28   #157

Boat: HR 31 Monsun
Re: Quest for the one can meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We used to wash the brown sauce off the chicken that was supplied in compo rations, the chicken could then be turned into something editable. So I think you are half way there, just wash the gloop off the meat balls and do something else with them, even cut thinly and stuck on the top of a pizza base with cheese and toms.

Wifey likes the fish soup shop in La Taballe France, (they only sell fish soup), only like you it's a long way to go.

Pete
Don't tell anymore stories about COMPO, the worst meals on the planet. Remember cheese possessed or bacon burgers. No wonder I have stomach issues.
Luckily there are good canned goods available and I have also been trying a few out to find the best.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 18:59   #158
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Steady's Boeuf Bourguignon

1 can of Dinty Moore beef stew
2 ounces of red wine
Pinch of herbs de Provence

Stir, heat, eat.

Even better with a few pearl onions and mushrooms added!

*Beef bourguignon or bœuf bourguignon, also called beef Burgundy, and boeuf à la Bourguignonne, is a well-known, traditional French recipe. The dish originates from the Burgundy region which is in the east of present-day France. Wikipedia
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 19:21   #159

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Hit a Whole Foods store, I seem to recall some cans there. I have had several of there packaged risotto and it was good. Was considering some meat and that for a dinner.

Been 5-6 years since I cut out processed food. On occasion when social conditions require me to eat that stuff, it does set well with my body. Somehow it knows it is crap!

Still a big fan of Natural High freeze dried. Simple, healthy and not loaded with salt.
You have a funny definition of "not loaded with salt". These seem to be pretty on par with Dinty Moore and other brands.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 20:54   #160
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

DM is mainly potatoes and carrots these days. If you're going to do that, look for the tinned roast beef somewhere near the tinned chicken. Add a can of tinned roast beef, and the dm may not be a whole lot better but at least it will have some beef in the stew.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 21:33   #161

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

+1 to Steady Hand.

Dinty Moore Stew mixed with red wine (and whatever spices you have).

Meal in a can!
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 20:02   #162

Boat: Pearson P30

On the other end of the food spectrum quick oats, add to hot water, carbs and protein.

P30Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:05   #163

Boat: csy 37

Same here, quick oatmeal (not instant oatmeal!) and boiling water. But I add dried berries and a bit of ground cinammon. And for a full breakfast on one boil of the pot, boil your eggs first, then use the water for oatmeal and coffee.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 07:06   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by P30Dude View Post
On the other end of the food spectrum quick oats, add to hot water, carbs and protein.

Hmm, I like oats for breaky but a bowl with 50g of oats has only 5g protein - about 1/8th what's needed per meal.
I add vegetable protein powder to bring it up to my requisite 40g protein.
Plus nuts and dried fruit, good for about 5 hours before I'm hungry again.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 07:44   #165

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

It's expensive, but every now and then i treat myself to a can of Campbells chunky soup. If i'm feeling really extravagant then i'll have the 'old-fashioned vegetable beef' mixed in with some ramen noodles............. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote