Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 13:57   #1

Boat: Invicta 26
Origo 3000 stove alchool

Hi in my boat i have an Origo 3000 stove. I am doing provisioning but i can't find info about how long does one liter of alcohol.
Any direct experience?

Thanks
RUGGERO
Old 28-07-2012, 14:40   #2

Boat: Bristol 38.8 Serendipity
We've had two Origo stoves; the 3000 on our first boat and now a 6000 with oven on our present boat.

The time you get from a liter of fuel is more of an art than a science, as there are so many variables. As live aboards we get about a week out of each liter canister filling. That is with brewed coffee in the morning, a cooked dinner and an occasional warmed breakfast or lunch.

I find that minimizing fuel evaporation extends time between fillings. Use either the small black gaskets from the manufacturer or the flat rubber sink drain stoppers from the hardware store.

We love our Origos. Wouldn't have any other stove on board.
ldzemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 14:53   #3

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Re: Origo 3000 stove alchool

I have the 4100 and singlehand. I like it fine and get about 2-3 weeks on a cannister making coffee mornings, and 30 average minutes making dinner. Glad to hear about the evaporation pad idea. Doh, so simple.
Old 28-07-2012, 15:59   #4

Boat: Tartan 30

I have a 4000 and the canisters hold 2 liters (each). I only use one burner at a time, cooking for myself every morning and about 5 nights a week I get anything from 1 to 2 months out of a gallon. I don't often cook things that take longer than about 20 minutes at a time, so i think my usage is pretty low most weeks.

1 liter a week sounds about right for average use. But conserving fuel as much as possible by using things like a thermal cooker, pressure cooker, or just eating simple meals and preventing evaporation with a some type of cover over the canisters are definitely good ideas.
Old 28-07-2012, 16:01   #5

PS: I made my evaporation covers by cutting circles out of the bottom of a silicone baking pan I found at a thrift store, for pennies.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:24   #6

Boat: Westsail 28

In my parts, So Cal. a gallon of fuel (sold by Origo) cost $30.00. I'm tired of paying that much. I did a Google search and found a substitute . It's S-L-X Denatured Alcohol made by Klean Strip. Even says right on the front of the can FOR MARINE STOVES. I haven't tried it yet , nor have I done a search on this site to see if anyone uses it . At $ 10. 00 a can for the klean Strip I'm sold.
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:49   #7

Boat: Bristol 38.8 Serendipity

I have used the S-L-X brand and it works fine- at $14-18 a gallon it is WAY cheaper than buying marine brand stove fuel. The only problem I have is that we store it outside in our no -longer-being-used propane locker (yay)- carried 6 gallons- with a lot of unfortunate rusting issues- the last gallon actually rusted inside the can so the denatured alcohol was pink.....

My question is- there is denatured ethanol on the market for fireplaces that comes in oh so convenient quart size plastic bottles. It seems like the same stuff- ( I read that Nigel Calder actually recommends using as high ethanol content as possible) but has anyone tried it in a stove?
ldzemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 15:11   #8

I haven't tried it, but anything with a high ethanol content will work. some things will work better than others. Denatured (any brand, usually from a hardware store in the paint department) will probably give the best results and be atleast half the price of the marine branded 'stove fuel'.

Denatured is just pure Ethanol with additives to render it undrinkable. So anything marketed as denatured should work just fine. (with possibly some subtle differences between brands)
Old 01-08-2012, 17:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
In my parts, So Cal. a gallon of fuel (sold by Origo) cost $30.00. I'm tired of paying that much. I did a Google search and found a substitute . It's S-L-X Denatured Alcohol made by Klean Strip. Even says right on the front of the can FOR MARINE STOVES. I haven't tried it yet , nor have I done a search on this site to see if anyone uses it . At $ 10. 00 a can for the klean Strip I'm sold.

I've never used anything but denatured alcohol in my Origo 6000 - it works just fine.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 18:16   #10

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

In Mexico, it's called alcohol indoostriahl, comes in liter bottles or by the gallon in plastic jugs, which is the way to go, no rust.
Old 16-09-2013, 18:20   #11

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Is alcohol safe to store down below in proper containers??

Or is it a must to store on deck or in a ventilated locker topside??
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 06:53   #12

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

we had an origo 3000 twin burner. We used the pressure cooker all the time once what ever is in ti has cooked like veg then we cook the meat on the frying pan. we used Alcool Bruler which we buy in France for €1.65 per liter with 1 liter in each canister we get about 10 days cooking on average. in the winter we save even more as we eat a lot of one pot stews, if you cut all the ingreadients small it all cooks in 10 mins in the pressure cooker.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 20:42   #13

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

If your stove needs priming, it is nice to have some Sterno gelled alcohol.

The solid gel stays put in a rolling boat better than liquid priming.

I have also primed with a propane torch.

Tags
origo