Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2015, 13:58   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30
Nutritionist Required for singlehanded racers

Singlehanded racers face the unique problems of getting enough good quality sleep and then keeping energy levels high when they are awake so that they can actually race the boat for weeks or months on end.

I'd like to connect with a qualified nutritionist who can help with the planning for this concept. For example what kind of things to eat at different times of day to maintain the highest energy and have the deepest sleeps.

I would appreciate it if anyone is or knows a nutritionist would would be happy to volunteer to help me out.
Old 21-08-2015, 14:25   #2

Re: Nutritionist Required for singlehanded racers

I am a nutritionist, Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and a farmer... Think I can help!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 14:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
I am a nutritionist, Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and a farmer... Think I can help!

What an interesting combination of skills and experience!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 09:13   #4

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post

GREENBEANS ???? HINT HINT HINT :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 14:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Greenbean, thanks for the quick response. I've sent you a PM.
Old 21-08-2015, 15:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Everyone, Greenbean and I are working together on this. I'll be sure to let you know what we come up with. Just give us some time.
Old 22-08-2015, 08:34   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
Singlehanded racers face the unique problems of getting enough good quality sleep and then keeping energy levels high when they are awake so that they can actually race the boat for weeks or months on end.

I'd like to connect with a qualified nutritionist who can help with the planning for this concept. For example what kind of things to eat at different times of day to maintain the highest energy and have the deepest sleeps.

I would appreciate it if anyone is or knows a nutritionist would would be happy to volunteer to help me out.
HI I have found DR Mercola site totally informative.Just google Dr Mercola and sign up for free daily health letters.Be prepared to give up sugar now known to be a toxin in the human body amongst other things like frying food in canola,sunflower and olive oils which when heated become toxic.Use coconut oil /butter and dairy butter (free range of course if you can find it)instead for frying .Honey used sparingly is a great sugar substitute and is really great in tea/coffee.Not too much though as it also contains fructose which is the real culprit of the sweeteners.Honey will incidentally last indefinitely and is also a wonderful substance to help avoid infections by placing it directly on a wound .It kills germs like crazy!!We all know where a bad infection far from land can go.Ends up possibly on having to throw you over the side as a means of getting rid of a useless member of the crew.Anyways do get Dr Mercola's news letter .He also sells some really amazing remedies etc though I have not spent a cent with his company yet.One of the best things you can have on board are fermented vegetables in sealed bottles as they will give your gut flora just what they need to keep your gut functioning optimally.For those not in the know regarding that aspect of our bodies the gut's health is as important as your brain health and they rely on each other for optimal functioning of the body. The Doctor is brilliant and a great and influential critic of that awful GLYPHOSATE which permeates everything nowadays and is killing the soil microbes which are so necessary to a healthy plant and it's fruit.He is totally opposed to the awfully inhumane practices of the present day farming methods giving rise to super bugs within the industry due to overuse of anti biotics.He totally supports GMO labeling and ORGANIC food production.He really is a leader in his field and has many enemies in the food industry due to his honesty and in depth analysis of various aspects of the food industry which so readily poisons us for PROFIT .
The company Monsanto is his pet hate and not surprisingly when you see who and what they are and do.Shocking to say the least.The same company responsible for creating agent orange which killed and still kills and was used extensively during the Vietnam war.
The dying off of bees the pollinators so essential to some of our most nutritious food supplies is another huge cause for concern which they just will not acknowledge as having anything to do with their products.SAD indeed.
Old 22-08-2015, 09:22   #8

Easy rule, to me:

NO processed food
NO plastic bags around my food
NO Brands (repeat with me: NO BRANDS) (Gillette or Wilkinson permitted w/o chewing)
NO sweeteners and NO substitute thereof. NO means ZERO.
beef once a week after 40yo
The lesser dairies you intake, the better (antibiotics all around)
Soya milk, mozzarella, yoghurt (unless Greek), fruit juices ARE MERDE (French)

Are you ready!?

My cholesterol is 37 bad + 69 good
Old 22-08-2015, 09:48   #9

The key point is not to eat, but WHAT/WHEN
THIS is very interesting, and I am greedy to hear from you

E.g. I eat fruit before meals
No pasta 6hrs ahead of sleeping
When eating beef!? (It makes dizzy like a lion, and makes you NO stronger at all, neither short nor m/term
Etc..

Please keep us posted

as a racing single-hander, I'd eat small and whenever possible....no spirits, little coffee or none at all, many cereals and chocolate
Old 22-08-2015, 11:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

I'll keep you all informed.

Keep in mind, that I'm not looking at this as a way to have a healthy balanced diet, although obviously this is an important component. I'm looking at this as a way to maintain the highest possible alertness and ability to sail the boat at highest possible speed, for an extended period of time. We all know that you can drink 3 cans of Coke and be alert for 1 hour. But what does it take to maintain some level of alertness and energy for 3 weeks, or 3 months? That's the question. I can't think of any other sport that has this requirement.

The principles behind sleep management have been well studied. Now I'm looking at nutrition as the other side of the equation.

I said in my book that the nearest comparable to the Singlehanded Transpac is the Idadrod dog sled race. But even that only lasts 2 weeks. What about a month long Mini Transat, or a 4 month long Vendee Globe?
Old 22-08-2015, 20:15   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
I'll keep you all informed.

Keep in mind, that I'm not looking at this as a way to have a healthy balanced diet, although obviously this is an important component. I'm looking at this as a way to maintain the highest possible alertness and ability to sail the boat at highest possible speed, for an extended period of time. We all know that you can drink 3 cans of Coke and be alert for 1 hour. But what does it take to maintain some level of alertness and energy for 3 weeks, or 3 months? That's the question. I can't think of any other sport that has this requirement.

The principles behind sleep management have been well studied. Now I'm looking at nutrition as the other side of the equation.

I said in my book that the nearest comparable to the Singlehanded Transpac is the Idadrod dog sled race. But even that only lasts 2 weeks. What about a month long Mini Transat, or a 4 month long Vendee Globe?
Goodness me you still drink coca cola?Read what M E R C O L A says about that awful substance.And do not think that drinking the artificially sweetened coca cola will benefit you .It is worse than sugar or corn syrup .
Old 24-08-2015, 17:55   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

A balanced diet is a donut in each hand. I vote for about 60 cubic feet of pre-compressed jelly donuts in vacuum packed, irradiated pouches.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 19:17   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
A balanced diet is a donut in each hand. I vote for about 60 cubic feet of pre-compressed jelly donuts in vacuum packed, irradiated pouches.
Yeah, you should have chosen the poster named "Bacon Grease" as your nutritionist.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 20:40   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

Leaving aside the fact that singlehanding is
foolish, I suggest anyone who wants
to perform at peak ability check out
this performance:

Fat Chance Row

...and read Dr Steve Phinney and
Eric Volek's book The Art and Science
of Low Carb Performance.