Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2006, 15:10   #1
cruiser

Not sure what is wrong with the menu...

Hi All,

I have had more than one person ask us "who cooks the food listed on your menu?"

I'm not sure why this is. Can anyone let me know what about us:

http://bnbonthewater.com/staff.htm

makes people think we can't cook this?:

http://bnbonthewater.com/menu.htm

It's perplexing. We make these dishes and many more all the time because we love cooking and eating healthy. Is it maybe that not many people actually cook anymore?

Could it be that people expect some kind of certification? An example of a useless certification from my professional life was the Microsoft certification for a software developer. It had nothing to do with how well you were able to program, but sometimes people expected to see it. And... in actuality, people who had the MS Cert were often WORSE programmers than people who just picked up a computer in the late 70's and early 80's and started doing it then.

Ok... bit of a ramble... but I'm wondering what could be causing people to think we can't cook. ??

Thanks to any input... no matter how harsh.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 15:58   #2

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Your Male...

Oh wait, is that my prejudice showing?

Seriously, I learned to cook from my mother and grandmother (French and Italian style) and I love to cook. My wife is often amazed at what I can whip up. I think it's just an old stereotype (well maybe current too) that anyone male and straight can't possiblly cook left alone be a good cook. One of my male coworkers (straight by the way) spent several years in chef school and then became a land surveyor (less stress beleive it or not.) But his wife isn't interested in his incredible culinary skills (he gave me an awesome receipy for for New England Clam Chowder), she just wants meat and potatoes. For me the thing is I just don't have the time at the end of the day (being exhausted from my job) to cook.

Put out all the good stuff on the menu and add "made daily with fresh local ingredients" at the bottom of the menu. They might scoff till they get a chance to scoff down some of your fabulously delicious menu.
2divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 16:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Awwww, not fair. Now I am hungry.
Do what a lot do. Stretch the truth a little. Do you have Italian in you? you look it, maybe you could say, you were trained by a top Italian cook. You just don't need to mention it was your mother or father.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 16:48   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Sean - maybe you should put 'gourmet cooking' in your list of hobbies.

As for being male that has absolutely no bearing on cooking ability. Maybe in the old days this may have been the case, when women were predominantly homemakers and men went from their mothers' tables to their wives'. Now both genders are career-oriented and aren't getting married until later in life. Women will buy a big bag of pre-made popcorn and call that supper - men need food to live. So just on the basis of survival men will learn how to cook. Most of my male friends are good cooks, but few of my single female friends cook - although most of them bake.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 16:56   #5

Boat: Ensenada 20
2divers, aren't most of the "world famous" chefs male?

We occasionally watch Iron Chef on TV, and the competitor chefs are always of the male persauasion.

Sean, is it possible the questioners are simply asking which of the two of you do the cooking?

For what it's worth, I can't see anything on your site or in your bios that would make me wonder whether you can prepare the items in your menu.

There are two catamaran crewed charter operations for sale right now that I know of, and in both cases the wife has written a cookbook that they sell -- perhaps you and/or your partner could write and self-publish your own cookbook.
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 17:11   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Cook

One of the sailors at our club is a good cook and ??????????? he does shave his legs.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 17:41   #7
Kai Nui

My guess is the majority of the questions come from the non sailing public who are still under the impression that anything less than a cruise ship is camping.
You sure look different without the tie
Old 24-02-2006, 17:59   #8
cruiser

Big Reply...

2Divers: Well, I'm not sure how the site gives the impression that I, personally, do all the cooking. We split maybe 60/40 now, with the wife doing more cooking. I used to do most of it. Where did you get the impression I did all the cooking? I'd like to remove that if you can tell me where... thanks. "prepared daily with fresh, local ingredients" would be a good addition. Thanks!

Wheels: We just might have to do that. Call in marketing, right? I have some kind of strange Italian in me. I'm 3/4 Irish, but I'm something known as "dark irish" which I understand is nothing more than some Italians that made it up there. (Anyone know if this is true?) I'm also 25% Norwegian. Drinking and boats... ha ha ha.

The wife is half French/Italian and half Romanian.
We learned a lot of our skills by taking the cuisine in New York City (many of the world's best come here and open up restaurants), and then learning to re-create it at home. Since the food here is so worldly, our culinary skills follow suite.

Lodesman: Hillarious! This popcorn thing is absolutely true! My wife (even after 4 years) is still trying to understand that I need to EAT when we have a meal. She existed on popcorn, salad, and maybe some air before we met. I guess you had the same experience?

Lightfin: Thanks for the input. I'm glad you don't see anything that stands out as saying "these folks can't cook!" We did think about writing a cook book. Funny you should mention it. We have a very unique take on food/diet/exercise. I won't bore anyone here, but it seems to work.

Kai Nui: You know... this might be the case. Mabye people don't think we can prepare "land meals" on the boat. Guess we just need to drop in pictures of most of the dishes to show it's possible. Yeah, I look more like the "no tie" picture now. Probably even worse! ha ha ha It was taken while we were working aboard that megayacht. We were in Bonaire in the picture.
Old 24-02-2006, 18:11   #9
Kai Nui

You have truly adapted to the look of a charter captain
You might consider a photo or two of the food in the preparation process on board. The just coming out of the pan stage.
One problem. Where's the wine list????
Old 24-02-2006, 18:27   #10
cruiser

Good call on the wine list. We had assumed people would specify and we'd have to go and provision for each, but that isn't going to fly for 1 or 2 night guest. We'll get right on that one!
Old 24-02-2006, 18:42   #11
Kai Nui

Old 24-02-2006, 18:42   #12

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Style

Double S is so clean cut it is almost scary. I am sure he would be much better at my job than me. He is just so trustworthy looking. He could sell funeral services to 30 year olds. And he can cook.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 20:34   #13

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 04:52   #14

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Quote:
Alan Wheeler once whispered in the wind:
Do you have Italian in you? you look it, maybe you could say, you were trained by a top Italian cook. You just don't need to mention it was your mother or father.
Let's see: Sean Sullivan -- yeah, that's an Italian name, alright! ;-)

Seriously, you crew bios don't really say that much about your cooking abilities or any credentials in that area (beyond Candace's experience as head cocktail waitress), while the menu says "Prepared by Private Chef." So that may be a source of confusion. Sure, cooking is listed among your hobbies, but -- no offense intended -- you wouldn't call yourself "Captain" with that license, would you? I don't know what kind of authority issues credentials to Chefs, if any.

More broadly, your crew bios seem to focus on your on-the-water experience, as if you were offering crewed sailing charters, while the sailing is really only a part of the total experience you are offering.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,

Tim
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 05:13   #15

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Re: Cook

Quote:
BC Mike C once whispered in the wind:
One of the sailors at our club is a good cook and ??????????? he does shave his legs.
Must be a bicycle racer. Shaved legs present less wind resistance so are faster.

(Painting your keel and rudder bright orange makes your sailboat faster, too.)

Regards,
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote