Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2014, 05:54   #1
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Neverending Marmite

Ever since leaving the UK back in '96, whenever anyone has come to visit, when they ask what to bring I have said Marmite. I love it. Can't get enough.

Now, when we left Kuwait last year, we had a few jars still unopened which I shoved in the tin locker, which was at the front of the foreberth, under the anchor locker, and just left them there. Not forgotten, but just hibernating till it was their time. In Oman, where we spent last summer, I did a bit of a clean out, and the still unused Marmite jar had leaked a little. Unusual, but I cleaned up the sticky mess and thought nothing of it.

Anyway, back in mid May when we had to clear the boat out ready for the repair works, I finally opened this last jar of Marmite, and the contents literally erupted out of the jar when I opened the lid, and filled a centimetre of the old jar. I thought it was perhaps an air bubble which had expanded in the heat, but exploration with a knife didn't burst any bubles, and the jar is still full. So I am hoping it's started fermenting or something and I'll have a jar of everlasting Marmite. Well, better to live in hope than die in despair...

Anyway, with any luck this jar will last forever, rather than the usual measly year or less. But this is all irrelevant... this is more about Marmite. I'm sure most of you hate it, since most of you aren't British, but what's your favourite way of serving it? Well, second favourite way, cos obviously your favourite is thinly spread on toast and butter...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 06:30   #2

Re: Neverending Marmite

I vote for Marmite (or Vegimite as we Aussies prefer) on a toasted crumpet dripping with butter (plus a tablet of your favourite statin to keep your cholesterol down while eating all that buter). Best eaten late at night when everyone else is in bed and you can indulge in such pleasure without gult.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 06:50   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

We have visitors bring tubes of Vegemite. They store and keep well.

We served toast and Vegemite at our boat renaming.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 07:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Neverending Marmite

A jar lasts you a YEAR...??
The 125gm only just lasts a month.. if I'm careful..
Hot buttered toast is my favourite.. followed by Marmite smeared on Cheddar and grilled on toast.. late night after the Pub treat when outa bacon.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 08:19   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Hot buttered toast is my favourite.. followed by Marmite smeared on Cheddar and grilled on toast.. late night after the Pub treat when outa bacon.
A jar lasts you a MONTH...??
The 220gm jar of vegemite only just lasts a week.. if I'm careful..

My all time favourite is a late night snack of vegemite on hot toast with a nip of Scotch .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 08:35   #6

Boat: csy 37

Here in the USA it's very expensive, 4 or 5 bucks for a small jar. I bought a jar once, but still prefer peanut butter...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 09:11   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I think the question those with a non-British-food background might ask is "if the Marmite's gone bad, how could you possibly tell?"

(Personally, I may have put a spot of Marmite on both kippers and black pudding in my time, just to check it out)
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 10:52   #8
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My Googling about fermenting Marmite yielded NOTHING about Marmite's potential to reactivate given sufficient heat (I just made that last bit up, BTW), but it DID reveal several sites which claims Marmite acts in a manner similar to a drug; ie, once you start you can't stop if you're addicted, and also you need to keep using more and more to get the same kick.

Think that could be a possibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I think the question those with a non-British-food background might ask is "if the Marmite's gone bad, how could you possibly tell?"
No luck on Google there, either, but I'm hoping that when it goes of it starts 'fermenting', and multiplying indefinitely. Hopefully this jar will last forever... perhaps I could even split it and sell it in the States at a hefty discount to cruisers I'm fond of!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 14:00   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
My Googling about fermenting Marmite yielded NOTHING about Marmite's potential to reactivate given sufficient heat (I just made that last bit up, BTW), but it DID reveal several sites which claims Marmite acts in a manner similar to a drug; ie, once you start you can't stop if you're addicted, and also you need to keep using more and more to get the same kick.

Think that could be a possibility?

No luck on Google there, either, but I'm hoping that when it goes of it starts 'fermenting', and multiplying indefinitely. Hopefully this jar will last forever... perhaps I could even split it and sell it in the States at a hefty discount to cruisers I'm fond of!
So could a lost Star Trek episode be called "The Trouble with Marmite"?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 14:21   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

If I had a jar or tube of either foul tasting substance in my cupboard it would last forever. Before you all start jumping up and down in brown smeared indignation about bloody foreigners with no taste, I am a Pom living in Orstralya.

This stuff would kill a brown dog on a good day and is a mandatory training substance for those indulging in the noble art of Gurning (look it up on youtube) to give them the necessary muscle movements.

Disgusting is too nice a word to describe it's taste and as I have said before I would rather lick a cat's arse than either of them.

Coops.
Old 15-07-2014, 18:56   #11

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
If I had a jar or tube of either foul tasting substance in my cupboard it would last forever. Before you all start jumping up and down in brown smeared indignation about bloody foreigners with no taste, I am a Pom living in Orstralya.

This stuff would kill a brown dog on a good day and is a mandatory training substance for those indulging in the noble art of Gurning (look it up on youtube) to give them the necessary muscle movements.

Disgusting is too nice a word to describe it's taste and as I have said before I would rather lick a cat's arse than either of them.

Coops.
Coops, you do realise that this statement may be sufficient evidence for the revocation of you permanent residency / citizenship in Australia....

Promite for me! Every day.
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:06   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
If the everlasting Marmite doesn't work out I am sure you have sussed out how close you are to Langkawi - visa jump / Vvegemite run...

The Brits must have left the legacy of Marmite behind and well, the Aussie pipeline is that much shorter.

I am indifferent to the taste but any time I eat Vegemite the "saltiness" makes me think I am destroying my arteries. (now some colonialist is gonna tell me Vegemite is a health food )

Now what I really miss are real crumpets - by the time they get shipped anywhere they have like a 20 second shelf life...

PS - Let me know if you get a buzz from the fermented Marmite - it may need to be banned in Singapore or at least taxed like alcohol!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:40   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380 "Levanter"

Are Marmite and Vegemite the same? Sunshine and Vegemite is what I grew up on! I thought the only place where those two things were found at the same time was in Orstraya!
simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 20:11   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo View Post
Are Marmite and Vegemite the same? Sunshine and Vegemite is what I grew up on! I thought the only place where those two things were found at the same time was in Orstraya!
Some Aussie guy in the club a couple weeks ago was explaining the difference. Something about different kind of yeast, vegemite has malt(?) in it etc.

Of course the internet debates rage - what a great use of a global infrsatructure - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 20:16   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380 "Levanter"

Thanks Excalif. I'll take that as a no, they're completely different. That's a relief.
simmo is offline   Reply With Quote