Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 11:11   #16

Boat: Seaward 25
Re: I Feel Like Pizza Tonight!

Wow - I think we need to make a tour to each of your boats so I can judge whose is the best! We will bring the wine.

Now, going off the theory that there is no such thing as really bad pizza, here is our very easy method.

Start with a couple of Boboli precooked crusts. Put olive oil on one side and throw it on the grill, preheated to medium high. While it is heating up, oil up the top side. When it starts getting brown remove it from the heat, flip it over onto a cutting board and add toppings. Put it back on the grill and turn heat as low as it will go (maybe even off). Grill until cheese melts good, remove and enjoy.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 11:53   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
This shouldn't be. I'm looking at a new stove, but I hear these stories of Force 10, why is this? I have a Hillerange and it sucks too. Why can't companies who make stoves do a better job, do you know what the problem is? Thanks.
I'm not sure an RV stove might not be cheaper and do a better job. Probably the same stove without the "Marine"
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 16:23   #18

Boat: Fusion 40

Haven't done it on the boat but the secret to good Pizza is good pastry and lots of heat.

Also
  • Weigh ingredients. To measure flour by volume will give you varying results.
  • use only bread flour
  • I haven't come across a frozen crust that measures up but have had a reasonable result from a flat Lebanese bread.
  • Haven't had good results with stones. The first one is OK but takes too long to heat up for subsequent pizzas
  • Kneed dough until it is stretchy
  • Stretch dough to shape, thin in the middle, thicker on outside, don't roll it
  • Try not using a sauce base. results are impressive.
  • For toppings less is better. Cheese must be Mozarella but include some cheddar and Parmesan for flavour. If you use ham, buy a proper ham and cut it up. The ham pieces are crap. Use salami (hot,peperoni) in preference to other cured meats. Seems to be more aromatic. Be aware that there is a difference between cured and cooked meats when buying. Both are good but different result.
  • Recipe is generic. I use 600gm bakers flour, 360gms water (proportion can vary slightly with different flours) Teaspoon of salt and 2 Teaspoons Yeast. Note: the salt can kill the yeast so I add it to the flour first. Salt is important to retain moisture in the pastry rather than flavour. I have found no difference in adding the yeast dry or preactivating the yeast in warm water with sugar.
I did this for a number of years at a self catered mining camp for up to six people. Learnt by trial and error and the blokes told me I got pretty good at it. Tried different toppings and styles but in the end all the blokes wanted was meat. ( You an also try a garlic pizza which is heaps of garlic with olive oil and salt. Hard to get the salt right and pastry needs to be spot on.

Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 16:34   #19

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
We cook our pizzas in the barbecue, raised off the plate on a trivet. With the lid closed it gets very hot.
I imagine you are talking about a weber.

Saves heating up the galley.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 16:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I imagine you are talking about a weber.

Saves heating up the galley.
It's not a Weber, it's a Cook out marine BBQ. But Webers work well too at a fraction of the price.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 05:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Anyone want to share a good recipe?

I do most of the cooking while my wife is the baker which means she makes the pizza. We have a Force 10 with a stone inside of it but it never gets hot enough though we burn through a lot of fuel trying.

I am easy to please but she has tried several different recipes and has yet to find one she is happy with.

Please help! We need our pizza every now and then. Probably have had best results cooking it in a pan and are about to try it on the grill. Many thanks in advance for your close held secrets!
Ain't no Julia Child, however,

have tried adding different cheeses to the mozzarella. Fresh shredded grana padano and a few crumbs of feta cheese are two that come to mind.

The crust is just Pepe's Pizza dough from the frozen food section. It'll make more of a sicilian crust in the lil boat stove. It is a very well done pizza dough and no fussing with the yeast etc. Although i have used the yeast and scratch prepared dough for years, just getting lazy.

Then the sauce. Just from puree. Turbocharged with lots of diced peppers and onions and the minced garlic and italian spices of which
i could never say a tablespoon of this or that because it just gets thrown in. Of course the sauce has to cook down and the many flavors take their place so water usually has to be added to allow a slow (and gradual) simmer without splashing all over the place and a big glob of burnt ingredients at the bottom of the stock pot. The hard part is the sauce will be better tomorrow. The good part is you can make many pizza portions of sauce at once and the freezer is your friend.

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 13:42   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

I bake our pizzas on the Weber using a pizza stone, always great.

The best dough I've ever made is in the link, then I top with a tomato sauce made by sauteing a couple of cloves of sliced garlic in olive oil without colouring, then adding two tins of chopped tomatoes and simmering until thick and pulpy. Don't put too many toppings on as they contibute to the base being soggy. Top with mozzarella and bake on a pizza stone in the Weber on high for 12-15 minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ingstall-pizza
Old 15-03-2017, 18:14   #23

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Mmmm....pizza! I use Gennaro Contaldo's recipe as shown in this video:

It's a fun video but here is the recipe for those who prefer to skip it:
500g flour (3 1/2 cups)
1 tsp salt
325ml warm water (just under 1 1/2 cups)
1 pouch yeast (3 tsp)

You can season the dough with garlic powder, onion powder, herbs, etc. Not too much 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.

Sauce: Any tomato product. Even watered down tomato paste. No sauce, use olive oil, pesto.

Topping: anything goes really, but for mozzarella cheese use the one for pizza...the cheap stuff just turns to liquid.

I sprinkle corn meal on a cookie sheet. Dough only sticks if I stretch it too thin.

Now if only my boat had an oven.
Old 25-03-2017, 08:34   #24

Boat: The Walrus

Bacon

Old 25-03-2017, 08:41   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Having cruised US waters for about 25yrs. I can say that we have been treated like gold and love the American people (the real ones not the politicians) however you guys don't know squat about flour or dough. If you want some real pizza get a hold of some Canadian flour without all the additives you guys put in there.

DIRT FREE currently in Bahamas.
Old 25-03-2017, 10:15   #26

I'm Canadian...I think King Arthur flour in the US is much better than our Robin Hood for all baking. You want crummy flour try buying flour at the tienda's here in Mexico...horrible.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 10:41   #27

Boat: Albin Vega

As for baking your own I have no good advice but I have made mediocre pizzas better by putting a ton of butter in a pan and melting it into the crust. Then I turn up the heat so it gets crispy. Much more satiating and, If you have butter from grass-fed cows, tastier. ..healthier? Probably not haha. But when is pizza ever healthy?

Enjoy
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 10:47   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It is kind of hard to toss the dough in the cabin. :-)
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 11:24   #29

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Sheesh, I was gonna make pizza yesterday and talked myself out of it. Been down with the crud for a few days. (cough,cold,sore throat) Then I had to see this thread and I want some pizza now. Got all the ingredients on hand. Just so easy to blow it off and say later.
I usually make 3 at a time. I'm partial to sicilian thick crust but some times the grand kids want thin so I make that too. I love toppings and even go with the anchovies. Whew! I know. Some just can't handle it, but I bet some of you like it and won't admit it to friends. Ha Ha. We have a Kitchen Aid bowl mixer to do the hard part. I use a standard flour, oil, water, salt, and yeast mix. Stretch out in oiled rectangular pans for thick crust or on round pizza pan for thin crust. Lots of sliced peppers, onions, schrooms and pepperoni over the mozzarella then I hide the stinky anchovies in there where no one can see them. One thing I do after spreading the sauce is shake a lot of grated parmesan cheese, garlic powder, basil, oregano and crushed red hot pepper flakes before adding cheese and toppings. If using anchovies drizzel the remaining oil over the top. Thick crust takes much longer to cook so a little lower temp. helps not to burn it.
I can't think of any thing else to add except after living on east coast for first 25 years of my life and knowing truly great pizza, I relocated to west coast and went out for a pizza and it was horrible . Nothing more than a flour tortilla with a smear of sauce and a little melted cheese. Things are a bit better now since back then in the 70's
O.K. every one, lets eat some pizza!!!!
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 11:41   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
Wow - I think we need to make a tour to each of your boats so I can judge whose is the best! We will bring the wine.

Now, going off the theory that there is no such thing as really bad pizza, here is our very easy method.

Start with a couple of Boboli precooked crusts. Put olive oil on one side and throw it on the grill, preheated to medium high. While it is heating up, oil up the top side. When it starts getting brown remove it from the heat, flip it over onto a cutting board and add toppings. Put it back on the grill and turn heat as low as it will go (maybe even off). Grill until cheese melts good, remove and enjoy.
Wine?? Wine is for pasta...Beer. Nice cold beer and lots of it.........
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote