Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 16:47   #1

I Feel Like Pizza Tonight!

Anyone want to share a good recipe?

I do most of the cooking while my wife is the baker which means she makes the pizza. We have a Force 10 with a stone inside of it but it never gets hot enough though we burn through a lot of fuel trying.

I am easy to please but she has tried several different recipes and has yet to find one she is happy with.

Please help! We need our pizza every now and then. Probably have had best results cooking it in a pan and are about to try it on the grill. Many thanks in advance for your close held secrets!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 17:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: I Feel Like Pizza Tonight!

Never heard of a good pizza from a cold oven. I think you're on the right track with your grill. Will your stone fit in the grill?
Old 13-03-2017, 17:19   #3

A couple tips...we make pizza in our force 10 at max temp and its killer

1. Make the dough 2 days before...rise once then into the fridge. Gets better with age up to a week.

2. Crap flour makes crap dough...King Arthur at a minimum.

3. Use parchment paper under pizza till close to done then remove to crisp.

4. Bake in cast iron fry pan preheated 15 minutes...stones are for cavemen.

I'm hungry!
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 17:29   #4

Boat: 41' yawl

I'll be interested to hear people's tricks.

Pizza's been a little hobby of ours the past year or two. I'll tell you what I've found, but it sounds like you already know all I really know about pizza - heat!

At home, we preheat our stone as hot as we can, 550F, then _broil_ the pizza on the 2nd rack from the top. Usually 4 minutes. The high heat maximizes your browned-and-crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside factor for both cheese and crust. mmm.

Dough is 2 cups bread flour, 0.75 cups warm water, 1 tsp each yeast+salt+sugar, 1 tablespoon olive oil.

For a cheese pizza I like to add some dry aged cheese like sharp cheddar, seems to pop out a satisfying little bit of oil when it melts, and add cheesy flavor, to a majority mozzarella.

Spike tomato sauce with vinegar and anchovy paste, etc.

But.... i haven't tried it on the boat yet, hehe. How hot can you get the stone? Do you have an ir thermometer?

I wonder if the broiler is too uneven on a force-10. Seems a little concentrated in the center on my old-as-f*** one, but its probably alright.

For the amount of dough I mentioned here, I'd probably split that into 2 force-10 pizzas.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 17:56   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Order in.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 17:56   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

My force 10 barely gets hot enough for brownies. Maybe grill the bottom and broil the top?
Old 13-03-2017, 18:17   #7

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
I'll be interested to hear people's tricks.

Pizza's been a little hobby of ours the past year or two. I'll tell you what I've found, but it sounds like you already know all I really know about pizza - heat!

At home, we preheat our stone as hot as we can, 550F, then _broil_ the pizza on the 2nd rack from the top. Usually 4 minutes. The high heat maximizes your browned-and-crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside factor for both cheese and crust. mmm.

Dough is 2 cups bread flour, 0.75 cups warm water, 1 tsp each yeast+salt+sugar, 1 tablespoon olive oil.

For a cheese pizza I like to add some dry aged cheese like sharp cheddar, seems to pop out a satisfying little bit of oil when it melts, and add cheesy flavor, to a majority mozzarella.

Spike tomato sauce with vinegar and anchovy paste, etc.

But.... i haven't tried it on the boat yet, hehe. How hot can you get the stone? Do you have an ir thermometer?

I wonder if the broiler is too uneven on a force-10. Seems a little concentrated in the center on my old-as-f*** one, but its probably alright.

For the amount of dough I mentioned here, I'd probably split that into 2 force-10 pizzas.
I'll second this with one change. Don't use water, use beer. It has to be warm for the yeast, but it adds flavour and really gets the yeast going. You will have a very light crust.
Stretch it thin if you are starting on a hot stone.
At the house I use a wood fired pizza oven, roughly 500 degrees. But I've done it on the boat as well and it turns out great.
After mixing, let it rise, roughly triples in size(about 2-3 hours). Stretch it, don't roll,,make pizza and let it sit about 30 min before cooking.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 18:22   #8

Boat: Hunter 386

I use my boule recipe:
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/4 tsp instant yeast
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups water (room temp or cold)

Put the flour, salt and yeast in a bowl. Add the water. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough is shaggy. No need to knead.

Cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 12 to 21 hours.

Use as-is for pizza dough.

Divide in two, roll out, flip it into two frying pans with bit of olive oil.
Flip.

Transfer to baking sheet, add favorite toppings and put in oven on highest setting for around 10 minutes.

Ta da!

For a boule
punch down the dough (use flour — it will be sticky), and form it into a ball. Roll the ball in flour, and place it on a large plate. Cover loosely, and let rise until double (1 to 2 hours)

Put a Dutch oven with a lid in the oven, and heat it to 425°F.

Flop the risen dough into the hot Dutch oven, cover and bake in oven for 30 min.

Remove the lid, and bake 15 minutes more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6436-440x550.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	143098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6437.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	143099  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5979-e1459373383217-413x550.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	143100  
Old 13-03-2017, 18:28   #9

We cook our pizzas in the barbecue, raised off the plate on a trivet. With the lid closed it gets very hot.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 18:50   #10

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

As close to 500 degrees Fahrenheit as you can get it. That's key to a good pizza.
The higher, the better. Well, up to a point.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 19:09   #11

Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Anyone want to share a good recipe?

I do most of the cooking while my wife is the baker which means she makes the pizza. We have a Force 10 with a stone inside of it but it never gets hot enough though we burn through a lot of fuel trying.

I am easy to please but she has tried several different recipes and has yet to find one she is happy with.

Please help! We need our pizza every now and then. Probably have had best results cooking it in a pan and are about to try it on the grill. Many thanks in advance for your close held secrets!
My best kept secret is if you are in Cornwall Ontario... Riverside Pizza is the best. If you are in Lancaster Ontario... Lancaster Pizzeria is the best and if you are in Alexandria Ontario... Alexandria Restaurant "TOPS" them all. It's me!! Bon appetit...!
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:06   #13

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
My force 10 barely gets hot enough for brownies. Maybe grill the bottom and broil the top?
This shouldn't be. I'm looking at a new stove, but I hear these stories of Force 10, why is this? I have a Hillerange and it sucks too. Why can't companies who make stoves do a better job, do you know what the problem is? Thanks.
Old 14-03-2017, 10:11   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
My best kept secret is if you are in Cornwall Ontario... Riverside Pizza is the best. If you are in Lancaster Ontario... Lancaster Pizzeria is the best and if you are in Alexandria Ontario... Alexandria Restaurant "TOPS" them all. It's me!! Bon appetit...!
Good to know. I expect to be passing by that area in a few months.

I make pizza in our Force 10 oven. Heats up, no problem. Although my oven is probably the smallest one they make, so perhaps that explains my success. My dough is basically the same as my bread, but with more spices and olive oil added.
Old 14-03-2017, 10:16   #15

I can add that I did pizza on the grill for years before I got stones. The stones make a great crust easy. With the grill you have to experiment a bit because you can burn the crust.

Here's how I did it. Preheat the grill. Stretch your dough and lay it right on the grates. Close the grill. After two minutes, flip the crust, place all ingredients and close the grill.

Like anything on the grill it might take a time or two to get it right but it's a good way to bake pizza.
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote