Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 14:15   #31

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Has living aboard changed your diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Limes, wrapped in aluminum foil after washing and drying, keep a long time
Tin foil works amazingly well for celery, too!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 14:24   #32

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Tin foil works amazingly well for celery, too!
SAHWEEEET!
Excellent TINFOIL idea!
I love items that can be used for more than one purpose!
And since I don't like celery all that much but still use it from time-to-time... I can still keep my hat on most of the time!
Attached Images

Old 18-04-2017, 14:27   #33

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
SAHWEEEET!
Excellent TINFOIL idea!
I love items that can be used for more than one purpose!
And since I don't like celery all that much but still use it from time-to-time... I can still keep my hat on most of the time!
Ahh, this sounds like you haven't tried celery, dried cranberries and onions in tuna fish with mayo. De-vine!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 14:29   #34

I might have to remove this thread from my subscribed list!
YOU PEOPLE ARE MAKING ME HUNGRY!
My boat has an Origo 4000 that appears to be in good shape. I'll look it over more thoroughly after I've made it through some other projects.
I've tried various fuels for stoves on land... camping, survival... but I'm sure trying this alcohol stove on a boat will be a whole different experience!

My wok is rather thin... compared to my old Griswold skillets. I'm hoping it heats up quicker on the stove.

I have a variety of sizes of skillets... Thanks Mom (an antiquer from way back), so finding one to fit the stove shouldn't be a problem... just the weight and where to store it... weight meaning how heavy it is when flying through the cabin...
Old 18-04-2017, 14:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Ahh, this sounds like you haven't tried celery, dried cranberries and onions in tuna fish with mayo. De-vine!
Don't tempt me!
If I wind up liking celery... might freak out my family! You should have seen the reaction after I finally tasted fresh pineapple... you know.. the stuff that looks like it came off a tree and not out of a can?
They thought I'd hit my head rather hard when I said I liked pineapple finally!

Plus... I'd have to get more tinfoil and make me another HAT!
Old 18-04-2017, 15:37   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

I think local quality is not a huge issue. We all define our quality and some like those cardboard 'apples' imported from Chile while others stand by home imports of rotten apples from Eastern Europe. (I am in the EE apple band too!) However, local CHOICE may be a challenge - unless you like taro for breakfast, lunch and dinn ... arghhhhh - no, just impossible anyone could have such a bad taste!

So, define what quality is to you. Then redefine. But you cannot get round that choice (that is, lack of it) thing. Simply, life in any big Western city is being in Rome - noisy and fast, but you get the choice. ;-) Provincial life is ... oh well.

Gods bless supermarkets. They saved our lives when we sailed far and out.

Realizing that almost all islanders are pig eaters, NOT vegetarians, takes time ... only if you are a vegetarian though ;-)

This much said, it all worth it after all, even the suffering. If we were to cut the lines only to eat what we ate back at (ex-)home then why leave at all? The change, much as to some of us it may be a limiting change, is part of the game. Sail away, miss this or that, make emotional and culinary space for the new tastes.

Sort of like that old koan: you cannot appreciate the new when you are full of the old.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 16:16   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

We eat pretty healthy both ashore and afloat, but ashore there are usually more dietary temptations.

Got stuck in Martinique for a couple of weeks last year waiting on paperwork...not good...Frenchies make lots of delicious tempting food including awesome breads.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 17:02   #38

Boat: Liberty 458

No.

We have adapted somewhat but we still cook and eat the same.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 17:23   #39

No diet change here when living aboard. Feels like a century ago. The next go at it will be for good.

Have actually considered the possibility of eating twice a week:

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 18:34   #40

I see MagellanYachts you are in the Bellingham, WA area from your profile. I have a little question...

I know there is a very active "farm to table" culture in that area, mainland and island. Does the sailing crowd have much opportunity to enjoy the fresh fruits and veggies available at farmers' markets and farms? Has anyone come up with a way to "bring the farm to the boat" for those in passage among the various islands and marinas around there?
GeneK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 20:10   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneK10 View Post
I see MagellanYachts you are in the Bellingham, WA area from your profile. I have a little question...

I know there is a very active "farm to table" culture in that area, mainland and island. Does the sailing crowd have much opportunity to enjoy the fresh fruits and veggies available at farmers' markets and farms? Has anyone come up with a way to "bring the farm to the boat" for those in passage among the various islands and marinas around there?
We just got a farm to table restaurant here. Many farms in the area. There is a farm to boat program in Seattle. Dave Petrich runs a few classic wood boats down there and is active in such a program. Seattle Picnic Boat & Yacht Charter, Rental & Tours
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 04:58   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

In some cruising venues the fresh veggies come to you. The "veggie boat" San Blas, Panama.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150324_102825.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	146078
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 05:40   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I think that I eat healthier living aboard because it is harder to just jump in the car and go get junk food or eat out. I very seldom eat out and my meals require better planning. I like fresh seafood a lot.
That's what we found. Junk food is an impulse buy for us. When it's hard to do that, less junk food!
Old 23-04-2017, 08:01   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
In some cruising venues the fresh veggies come to you. The "veggie boat" San Blas, Panama.

Attachment 146078
Is that at the equator? Just figured it was due to the orientation of the shot!
Wonder how they would keep the veggies on the boat 'down under'?

When I traveled by land from Playa in Mexico to Corozal, Belize there were fresh fruit stands everywhere along the highway! (we rode the ADO and local Collectivas)

Living onboard at my marina, I'll be able to bike across the bridge, into town, and hit the Co-Op for organics and a variety of actual local veggies/fruits
Old 23-04-2017, 08:02   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
No diet change here when living aboard. Feels like a century ago. The next go at it will be for good.

Have actually considered the possibility of eating twice a week:

I watched that! HOLY SMOKES!

Tags
living aboard